What's new

HDTV Help For The Technology Challenged *DECISION MADE*

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Sitting down right now to watch my first movie on the new TV, I chose Gladiator, it's one of my favorites. Hell, I even put my glasses on to have it be the best possible!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Do yourself a favor. In addition to DirecTV, you may be able to pick up over-the-air HD broadcasts. Go to www.antennaweb.org and you'll be able to see what local stations you should be able to pick up. OTA signals aren't compressed like satellite and cable and look better.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
DO NOT BUY CHEAP!!

I made this mistake and it's been so frustrating. I bought an Element 32" LCD from Circuit City in August and I'm staring at black screen right now, and it's a lovely shade of black I might add. :angryteet Second mistake was not buying a warranty :nono: I called the company and repairing it seemed such a hassle.....1-2 weeks for a repair!

However, there is a happy ending (we all love happy endings, right? :king: ). After talking on the phone with the salesguy at Circuit City, and him saying there was nothing he could do to help, I drove up to the store and talked to the Manager in person and he said he'd take it back! :guitar:

I'm buying the Sony Brevia and the ended extended warranty :smokingbo

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
[I'm buying the Sony Brevia and the ended extended warranty /QUOTE]
I'm very happy with mine, and I just orderd the warranty, ( I waited a lil while but now have it ).......

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Tiger direct.com usually has good deals on HDTV.

Sears does price matching, and beats the difernce by 10%. But you have a to match against a real store not online.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I can see the pixels change on dark colors. Not the blur that they talk about with some LCD's, but if someone is wearing a blue, brown, black shirt or thats the background color, I can actually see the pixels moving in those colors. It's driving me nuts. So I decided on a Samsung LNT4671F, it has a 25,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and 120Hz refresh rate on the processor. The picture is simply amazing, well over what I wanted to spend, but screw it, it's only money, I'll make more.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
LOL, funny you should ask, actually I'm trading it in tomorrow for a Samsung LNT4671F. I don't care for the Sharp at all.
You won't be sorry!!!!

For those of you shopping and comparing....the contrast ratio can only be compared between TV's of the same manufacturer as there is no industry standard/measurement. In other words, a Samsung 5,000 to 1 vs a 25,000 to 1 is a big difference but a Samsung 5,000 to 1 may be as good as a Sharp 15,000 to 1.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
That was one thing that ticked me off, some listed "contrast ratio" some listed "dynamic contrast ratio" and yes, as there is no industry standard, you really have no idea what the hell each is! Good point.