32   1   0
I'm in the market for a new pair.

The Shure EC3's look very good.

What do you guys listen on?

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
You know Tom, I was thinking the EXACT thing today.

I just have the ones that came with my iPod, but I want something with better sound.

Also, I've heard that you need to break in new headphones by playing music at a medium-high volume for 12 hours, have any of you heard this?

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
My last headphones came with my Rio MP3 player and when they went I just picked up a pair of Phillips headphones from the airport in Boston. I do not know the modle # since I have had them for over a 1 1/2 years now. I paid about $18 in the airport so the mark up is high there and they have ok noise protection and good sound. So I guess just look around but IMHO I dont like to pay too much for headphones like that since I travel a good bit and I am rough on them and I don.t want to be replacing them with a high price tag.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
You know Tom, I was thinking the EXACT thing today.

I just have the ones that came with my iPod, but I want something with better sound.

Also, I've heard that you need to break in new headphones by playing music at a medium-high volume for 12 hours, have any of you heard this?
Yes, they do get broken in. I'm not sure of the process but the sound will improve.

From what I have researched, the Shures are the way to go.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
For $180, they'd better be good.

By the way, check out Ultimate Ears :music:
I used a set of the ultimate ears when I was recording on - site because I found that they were truly comparable to some of the studio monitors I've worked with. Pricey, but incredible. I am afraid to relegate them to iPod use so they have sat untouched for some time now with the rest of the recording gear.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I have really seriously been considering buying these:

BOSE Over-the-ear TriPort Headphones

I've tried them on in a store, and they are really, really comfortable. Ultra light, no pressure, my big ears fit in them completely and almost don't even touch the headphones. Just really comfortable, and probably useable all day.

They seem to sound good, but I'm not an audiophile by means, so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Too funny! I have been looking at headphone lately as well

Here is what I found so far:

Grados get good reviews:
(under $100) Grado SR60's or SR80's
(under $300) Grado SR325i or AKG K601
Grado HP1
Sennheiser "HD" series

Koss KSC-75
AKG K501, 601, 701

Sony MDR-V6
Etymotic

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sennheiser CX300 Earphone

i bought these from ebay for about $20 and i love them. friend also bought some. they are cheap but i am not about to spend $200 on earhones.

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two pairs on Koss headphones, don't have the model numbers happy, but I love them both. Great sound, not too expensive.

check em out

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
The shures have been getting some very good reviews. I can get the ec3s for about 125 shipped

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Yo I know a little bit about headphones. I was doing a bunch of research before I bought some. The first question that I have to ask is where will you be listening to your music?

A lot of this depends on the conditions. Like if you are listening on a noisy train/bus/airplane a lot or if you will be in the quiet of your home. There are cheapo earbuds like what comes with ipod, then there are in ear passive noise cancelling stuff like the shure and etymotic etc. and then there are two types of headphone cans, open and closed dynamic.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
i've been looking at these.

They can be found between $70-80.
These are what I have and they are great for in ear blocking noise ones. Though I got them when buy.com had them on sale plus the google checkout $20 off promotion so i got them for $50. The shures are about the same quality wise. The next step up would put you into a whole new price bracket.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I'm looking for around-the-ear headphones that are relatively lightweight, COMFORTABLE, have a halfway decent sound, and are under $200.

Any suggestions, beyond the Bose pair I already listed?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I'm looking for around-the-ear headphones that are relatively lightweight, COMFORTABLE, have a halfway decent sound, and are under $200.

Any suggestions, beyond the Bose pair I already listed?
Hmm I would suggest not getting Bose, they usually are just as good as a lower priced one made by someone else, and nothing better. There are some good ones on headphone.com. Some would require a headphone amp to really sound great. Heres a low impedance pair that wouldn't need an amp: http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/beyerdynamic-dt-250-80.php
Would work with an ipod or anything else.

Grado SR-60 are the best bang for your buck http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/earpad/grado-sr-60.php

Under $100, open dynamic for indoor not so noisey listening, not the most comfortable in the world high quality construction and good sound.