Headphones

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Did you get them Greg?

I just ordered these Superfi 5 Pro and they should be here tomorrow
I did, and they sound great.

I do have a complaint though. The cord is very thin and I do not see these lasting more than a year withough damaging the cord.

The ones you bought seem to have a heavy duty cord and are much better quality from what I've read.

Let us know how they perform.

By the way, I know they list for $250, how much did you fork over?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
173.99 plus shipping from amazon

Once you hear the phones, you'll realize they are worth it

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have the Etymotic ER-4P's and the HeadRoom Total BitHead Amp for travelling with my iPod. Great sound, but not for when active or working out due to the stethoscope effect from the wires!! I usually use the cheapies then. I will probably pick up some over the ear's for those times I want more comfort.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I have the Etymotic ER-4P's and the HeadRoom Total BitHead Amp for travelling with my iPod. Great sound, but not for when active or working out due to the stethoscope effect from the wires!! I usually use the cheapies then. I will probably pick up some over the ear's for those times I want more comfort.
Damn, I get this too......

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

millenniumt

bye bye
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't consider "headphones" to include earbuds, but I'd estimate the best earbuds for the money are probably the Shure E3Cs (unless you can swing the E5Cs).

Headphones are a different ballgame.
I personally like the Sennheiser PX100 for compact and affordable travel headphones. I got my Bose On-Ear headphones on ebay for less than retail, but any bose product is going to be about 2x more expensive than it should be. The OEs are really nice though, I highly recommend (especially over the regular triports which sound weaker to me).
There's also countless bulky studio style headphones, but if you're considering traveling around with your music at all, they're not too practical.

What I've found is you typically like the headphones you buy, regardless of their quality, as long as you're happy with the money you've spent. So they're all good!

:kissforeh

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Well these Ultimate Ears Superfi 5 Pros are awesome. The sound is very well balanced, fit my ears perfectly and I don't get the stethoscope effect. I am very happy

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I love my total bithead. I plug it into a PC or my laptop and it powers via USB and works without special drivers. You can also use the two outputs to have 2 people plug headphones in at once.

Then when you are on the go you can use battery power.

If anyone is interested, these are basically almost the same as the etymotics (they use the same licensed technology) http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=IM716 They have a thicker cord though. You can get replacement tips for either. I personally like the foamies better than the rubber flanged ones that came on it. I hate having to cram in the original tips so it makes a good seal, it feels weird.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tom HeadRoom is not the only place to get an amp. In fact you can get a might fine amp for $200. Granted, not as portable as the BitHead or Airhead, my recommendation would be a Pete Millett Hybrid. If you're not really looking to get into the hobby of high end headphones but want to improve your sound a more basic amp than the Millett or the Airhead/Bithead are available.

http://www.head-fi.org/

That community has a bunch of people who make amps. Their trading boards are rather good too.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222270

That guy has a few at some rather good prices.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
An amp makes them sound a bit better, but for in ear ones you don't need it as much. If you want some regular headphones though they go from sounding OK to sounding amazing when you add an amp.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I'm really enjoying my headphones...They're a bit big and stand out (not that sleek Manhattanite look) but the sound and isolation is fantastic.