What's new

Help me drink something better than Keurig coffee...

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Yup, good coffee and a decent burr grinder ordered ... next month I'll likely invest in a high quality drip machine or an aeropress (probably both)

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Another side to this is water.Use the best you can find.
City water works,but clean bottled water is better tasting.
Don't try using distilled in pinch though.. It's gross lol. You need the minerals found in tap/spring water to add to the flavor.

Just like with spirits making water is crucial. Some guys bring their own water with them from all over the world to competitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The brewing system depends on what you like in coffee. If you want the more floral notes, go with a pour over or Chemex. I'm not a huge Chemex fan, but occasionally make one.

My favorite pour over brewers are the Kalita wave and the Beehouse. I have a Hario V60 as well, but again it's not my favorite.

French press is a good choice for a full immersion brewer. Only issue is the sediment you get in the bottom of the cup. It makes a muddier cup, but more darker flavor. You get more of the oil from the beans.

Or, you can get the best of both worlds and get a Clever Coffee Dripper. You get full immersion and the pour over effect. Plus, it's cheap to buy.

I don't really have a favorite, just depends on my mood.

The grinder is extremely important in my opinion. I started with a Krups, then bought a hand grinder from Orphan Espresso. After I got tired of grinding by hand every morning I bought a Bunn grinder like coffee shops use. The hand grinder makes the most consistent grinds, but some mornings I'm lazy and don't feel like cranking it. The Bunn is nice.

For a home machine, I believe there are only 3 certified to brew at the right temperature. They are the Bunn Phase Brew, Bonavita, and Technivorm.

Now, if you aren't obsessed with coffee like I am, you can disregard my rambling.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
For a home machine, I believe there are only 3 certified to brew at the right temperature. They are the Bunn Phase Brew, Bonavita, and Technivorm.
Here's the list of the current SCAA certified brewers

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a Bunn restaurant SS machine that delivers about 1400 watts of power that does an excellent job. I still like the French press and I just ordered an aeropress to change things up a bit.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had no idea they had that many certified now. Last time I checked it was only the three. I quit checking though after I bought one, though.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
For the Guys who want frothed milk or creamer......
While water is heating in your kettle.
Micro wave 4oz of creamer for 30seconds. Place in French press.
Plunge up and down 10x. It will damn near be whipped cream....... Place in creamer holder.
Quick rinse of the French press. And you're ready to brew the coffee. And your hot frothed cream waits patiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I ordered a french press and a hand grinder for starters. I like pretty dark and full flavored coffee so I thought that would be a fair place to start.
You can give a decent try at cold brew I using a French press too - definitely worth a try, especially if you normally find black coffee you acidic. It significantly changes the flavor profile, even with the same beans/roast/grind.

~ Dale
Georgia, USA

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
It's almost like making sun tea. Mix coffee grounds with water and let steep 12-24 hours at room temperature or in the fridge, then strain and dilute with water to taste. This is generally much sweeter and less acidic.

~ Dale
Georgia, USA

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Made my first Aeropress cup this morning. Only had Starbuck's French Roast whole bean. I also made a pot of the same coffee in the commercial Bunn to compare. The Aeropress was smoother and less acidic. I have some roasted Ethiopian beans coming so I am anxious to try those in the Aeropress.