What's new

herrera esteli

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I got pre release box of the Toro at the launch party here in Addison Tx on Black Friday 2012 and I am a BIG fan of them. I had 10 in the box that were pretty much destroyed but they guys at DE replaced them so no worries. Worth every penny, a great smoke!

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you haven't received and smoked one yet, these couldn't be more different. They are a complete 180* from anything else DE does. Such a great smoke.

Ordered some from cigar king (thnx for heads up brandon) really excited to get them. I did have a question though, are they similar to ligas or completely different? Thanx

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ordered some of these the other day when CAYP had them listed, but I haven't seen anything from them regarding shipping. I may have to order some elsewhere I guess, really looking forward to trying these.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
If you haven't received and smoked one yet, these couldn't be more different. They are a complete 180* from anything else DE does. Such a great smoke.

Ordered some from cigar king (thnx for heads up brandon) really excited to get them. I did have a question though, are they similar to ligas or completely different? Thanx
Think they're here but usps for some reason didn't leave them in the key mailboxes so I have to pick them up from the post office tomorrow.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a toro yesterday. Construction and smoke output were outstanding. Flavor was pretty good but I was not wowed. I'll see if anything changes when I try my 2 remaining singles.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been MIA last couple of weeks - this silly thing called a factory in a third world country with 1355 workers had me distracted, but I digress... ;>

All kidding aside, couple quick comments -

- none of us wanted to do the cello, but we really had no choice.

- not all the cracking issues were due to shipping. For us this was both our and Willy's first large scale use of viso primed Ecuador Habano and some of the cracking is due to the nature of SOME of the leaf after it has been allowed to age on a made cigar. It has been a bit of a learning experience, but now we have changed the leaf sorting criteria and I think this is a problem that will soon be no more. What we have learned has also modify our approach to selecting the next crop. As the saying goes, gotta crack some eggs to bake a cake. <sigh>

- That being said, if you end up with a real bad box for whatever reason, let us know and we will make it right. I can't promise anyone they will like the cigar, but everyone deserves a well constructed smoke.

- on the price point, I think it is beyond reasonable - there simply is no way you are going to get any cigar made anywhere with this grade of materials by this grade of torcedors for less. You may not like the flavor for your money and it might be too pricey for your wallet, but there is no way for this cigar to be cheaper... In fact, it is slightly underpriced, but we did this knowingly as we wanted to make it as accessible as possible too as many as possible so they could become familiar with Willy Herrera.

- taste comment - it is not like any current LP in any way IMO - it does not share a single leaf in common with any of the LP blends. IMO, the HE is a more refined, elegant blend - creamy, sweet, nuanced peppers, being a primarily LP kind of smoker I personally find the smaller HEs, the short corona gorda and Lonsdale, to be hands down the best - I think they are exceptional. For -me- the larger rings are too light for me, but they are by no means without merit. I do think with this line it is wise to try one of the smaller and one of the larger rings in order to form your own opinion.

That is my 2 cents fwiw...

Steve Saka
CEO, Drew Estate

Ps: doing this while on the plane - sure wish we could get net access like this on international flights!

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
It has been a bit of a learning experience, but now we have changed the leaf sorting criteria and I think this is a problem that will soon be no more. What we have learned has also modify our approach to selecting the next crop.
Thanks for the info! Will the changes in the sorting criteria and crop selection have any significant impact (positive or negative) on the cigar (e.g. taste)?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Received my cab of lonsdales today from Seriouscigars. I am assuming these were from the initial release since the bundle was half- wrapped in white paper , no cello. Happy to report no issues. Interesting to note that the box shrink wrap was intact, but the factory seals were broken (razor cut). Probably were inspected at DE Estates prior to shipping. Can't wait to light one up.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Received my cab of lonsdales today from Seriouscigars. I am assuming these were from the initial release since the bundle was half- wrapped in white paper , no cello. Happy to report no issues. Interesting to note that the box shrink wrap was intact, but the factory seals were broken (razor cut). Probably were inspected at DE Estates prior to shipping. Can't wait to light one up.
Pretty sure the box labels were cut so they could "half wrap" the bundles then they shrunk wrapped them(is that a word?) for a second time after getting the feet wrapped in paper. That's the way the ones we had at our event in January were as well.

Not an inspection thing, just needed more work after the original packing.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Have to agree that the Lonsdale is fantastic. I enjoy the larger violas as well, but the narrower gauge really works with this blend.