What's new

hey everyone, complete newbie here

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have smoked a total of 4 cigars so far, and really enjoyed it!

Name is Dovy, I live in brooklyn, NY.

I am actually looking foward to this board helping me out on what to purchase. I dont have lots of money, unfortunately. Does anyone have suggestions as to what brands to purchase, for a completely new cigar smoker? I have had a couple of Macanudo 1968s, and a couple of Don Rigo cigars. I dont know if you've ever heard of them, here is a website: donrigocigars.com (I promise I gain no monetary gain from that link, I just smoked one and enjoyed it).

You may have heard them mentioned on the Ron and Fez show, heard on xm 202, sirus 197.

Anyway, I would like to fill up my small humidor a little bit more, and want to know if maybe you could point me in the right direction.

Thank you :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, that was quick! 2 minutes to reply, and its 4:40 in the morning!

Thanks a lot!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh, forgot about the time difference...
Either way, its still pretty late :p

Last edited:
Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
Welcome bro! My recommendation to you as a new smoker is to smoke as many different cigars as you can. This will help you determine what it is you enjoy about a cigar. Each person will probably have a little bit different description of what his perfect cigar would be. By trying a variety you get to check out different flavors, strengths, shapes, wrappers, fillers, etc. You should go to the Newbie Sampler Thread, that is a great way to get started here. One thing is for sure, you came to the right place to learn about cigars. You will not find a more friendly, generous, and accepting group of people anywhere else on the web.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
about the newbie thread, I wasn't sure exactly what that was. Is that a place to trade? I didnt get it at first glance.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
it is a way for newbies to get a heads up. post their to get a more senior member to mentor you. You can post for trade or cash for a sampler to get a wide rang of smokes from a more senior member of the board. Usually you send your end first to the senior member and they tend to send you a sampler that is amazing.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hey dovy, I know what its like being new to cigars and on a budget. If i could point you in a right direction i would say check out Padron, Olivia, and Alec Bradley cigars. they are pretty good in my opinion and arent going to break the bank. Also, go to your local cigar shop and ask them. Thats how I started out, ofcourse my local shop has extremely freindly and also bored staff, so they love to show newbie round the humidor. its not a bad idea to just pick something up and see if you like it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey dovy, I know what its like being new to cigars and on a budget. If i could point you in a right direction i would say check out Padron, Olivia, and Alec Bradley cigars. they are pretty good in my opinion and arent going to break the bank. Also, go to your local cigar shop and ask them. Thats how I started out, ofcourse my local shop has extremely freindly and also bored staff, so they love to show newbie round the humidor. its not a bad idea to just pick something up and see if you like it.
Thanks, do you have some links for me to check that out?
Also, my most local cigar shop doesnt seem to be too friendly, and doesnt seem to have a huge selection. I dont know... I just dont think I trust them. I also have spoken to a neighbor of mine who smokes cigars, and he says as well not to shop there.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
well, go to the community tab and scroll down till you find the retailer sponsors. famous smoke shop is great. they have a wide selection and also the support the site so thats a good thing. also check out www.cigarsinternational.com they have a huge online store with reviews from their staff as well as costumers. .... oh i almost forgot... WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As well, I am searching on the brands recommended, and it seems there are so many choices, within one brand! Any reason to pick one over the other?