What's new

Highly rated cigars that you don't care for?

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
What ones have you smoked?? I got a bunch today I am looking forward to trying!

The 10th annie torp. Couldn't finish it. Was at Perdomo event and put back the stick I was going to buy and surrendered my freebies they were so bad.

The next week I smoked a #9 pig and, well, I think we all know how this story ends.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oliva Series V Maduro. Last night I had a third sampling from a box that I bought over a year ago. It left me with the same impression - all strength, little flavor. Not horrible, but very disappointing. I had hoped that a year of nap time would help, but it didn't. I guess I'll put them way back in the humidor and let them rest for another year.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Oliva Series V Maduro. Last night I had a third sampling from a box that I bought over a year ago. It left me with the same impression - all strength, little flavor. Not horrible, but very disappointing. I had hoped that a year of nap time would help, but it didn't. I guess I'll put them way back in the humidor and let them rest for another year.
I didn't really like the 2009 edition very much either. I thought the 2008 were very good though.

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not a fan of Olivas, V or O series. I find them tasteless actually.
Joya de Nicaragua is overpowering and again, tasteless to me
The Edge IS overrated now. THe origionals..not so much. Feel the same about the newest batches of the 90 and 92.
San Cristobal, not a fan either.

CBC

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur heartlily w/your comments. AB, RP are "painted" very obviously painted cigars. After reading complaints on the web about coloring cigars, I dissected the following:
CAO Brazillia
Rocky Patel's Old World
Alec Bradley Maduro
Oliva

only to discover that they are quite possibly also flavored in addition to being colored. The outside of the wrapper has an appreciably darker color than the inside. In the case of Rocky Patel, jet black on the outside of the Old World and brown in the inside. There is often a 'raisiny' scent coming off of all of them that I find nauseating and they are very often sticky to the touch. Further, I was told that Rocky Patel's factory has a painting station as part of the production line. This was reported by people who actually took his factory tour and saw it for themselves.

I want real cigars, devoid of 'doctoring' flavor profiles and color. A guy sent out emails to Drew Estate and RP, as well as others, and guess what? Rocky did not respond! Drew said he uses some of the natural coloring that comes from tobacco and sometimes does color some of his cigars. That's only fair and does not generate "poser sticks" that look too good to be real.

I checked the Casa Magna, both Colorado and Oscuro-no painting. The Oscuro was supposed to wow the faithful, but somehow did not. Mine were quite good and very flavorful. I first had the Colorado, which was splendid, producing the following flavors:
chocolate, light pepper, toffee, nuts, vanilla and at the very end, a surprising emergence of macadamia nut. Several spectacular transitions and about half way through, a nic-buzz I can only describe as "serene". I will be purchasing more Casa Magna, but in Colorado. Just more interesting. I'd like to have one w/both wrappers. That would be pure sickness!

Big Clouds! Long Ashes!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is a really interesting thread. My 2 cents: I haven't yet smoked a Viaje that has done anything for me. My controversial pick is Opus X. Every fresh Opus I have ever smoked has been harsh, too strong, obscuring all flavor. However, once an Opus is a couple years old, it's a totally different story: harsh notes are mellowed, flavor comes through, and I can enjoy a full-bodied, complex, flavorful smoke. Every year I buy some and tuck 'em away for a later date.

Rev

Perfecto Lounge
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VERY interesting thread...going back through it you can find pretty much all of the "hyped" cigars that CA rated 90+ somewhere on somebodies "meh" list.

My quick thoughts:

Agree: AB (too bold and spicy without the balance of flavor), OpusX (price point vs. overall experience), DC Maximus (see Opus X), Davidoff (see...well, you get the idea)

Disagree: DC (I absolutely love these smokes...very light body but with great roasted hazelnut, leather and cream flavors), La Aroma De Cuba (I smoked a robusto just the other day and experienced flavors similar to unsweetened espresso with drawn butter), Casa Magna (a light to medium bodied smoke with great flavors of cocoa, cafe mocha and brazil nuts)

Just goes to show that people like what they like and there's no "wrong" to it, right?:scratchhe

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Some will disagree with my opinion but just about all of the high rated CA sticks (93+) that I've smoked over the years have been spot on. I find a big variation between what CA and I like at lower ratings. Personally I wouldn't light up a RP or Gurka if you paid me....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the Cubanos; I have NEVER had a cigar in the Fonesca line that I enjoyed. I understand that most of that line are machine-made, which may or may not make a difference on the flavor profiles of the ones I have smoked.

I am also not that impressed by Romeo & Juliet robustos or coronas either, though they are hyped by cigar outlets throughout my city as something extraordinary.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Some will disagree with my opinion but just about all of the high rated CA sticks (93+) that I've smoked over the years have been spot on. I find a big variation between what CA and I like at lower ratings. Personally I wouldn't light up a RP or Gurka if you paid me....
Light up an RP Decade Torp with a year of rest on it and you might change your mind :)

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I've found my share of Gurkha's that were quite good.

Granted, they release way too many lines and 90% of them are crap, but I have found some genuinely good smokes within their massive output.

Rocky Patel is doing some interesting stuff right now with his new blender, A. Castro. Their "Vudu" was very surprising. It's one I'm eager to try with a year's age on it.

For highly rated cigars that just didn't do it for me?

Recently, the Cabaiguan Guapo. I found the flavours quite one-dimensional, and there were absolutely no changes in flavour or complexity right to the end of the stick.