What's new

Hillbilly Herf III - Return of the Rednecks

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Depending on what cabin we secure... most of them have wi-fi...

phones may or may not work... (again, depends on what service you have, and which cabin we end up in)

but, access to email shouldnt be a problem...

speaking of cabins... by mid February it will be almost impossible to find anything available from April until September (April is the leading edge of tourist season in that area.. which runs hard from the first week of May until the first week of September.. and then continues to stay fairly busy all the way until Christmas/New Years)..

So we need to make a decision pretty quick...

Step one is to determine how many people want a bunk.... we've got a lot of sign ups so far.... but not enough to be considering a cabin the size of the one provided in the link just yet... if you want a bunk, please let me know asap.. I will close the sign up list out on Sunday the 18th.. depending on what cabin we get there may or may not be additional beds available once we lock in.. but there is no guarantee..

Step 2 is we need to lock in a cabin.. I will hunt open options on the 18th based on the total number of sign ups we have for bunks.. if there are certain amenities that any of you feel are super important (I know Rev is really looking forward to that Honeymooners Hot Tub so he can spend some quality time with ATL :) ).... let me know so I can rule in or rule out anything that may or may not fit the bill... my personal priorities is lots of outdoor seating, lots of outdoor covered patio/porch space (gotta have room for smoking).. and a full kitchen would be nice.. and something with as close to the correct number of beds/bunks as possible.. other than that, I dont care much.. how many or how large the TV's are.. if there is a good sterio... or pool tables.. or ping pong.. etc.. isnt a priority for me.... so.. if it is a priority for you.. please let me know asap so I can try to find us the "right" place..

Step 3 is we book... right now I would ask that all of you remain flexible on the dates.. I feel reasonably confident that if we move on this within the week that we'll find something on the weekend of the 10th-12... but.. it is possible we will not.. if you absolutely must HERF on that weekend.. let me know.. if the weekend before or after is ok also, I will assume silence is consent.. If we can find a better deal on a different weekend.. or if the weekend of the 10th-12th just isnt going to work (cant find a cabin the right size, with the right amenities, etc..).. then I will look at other dates to see if we can get the right fit...

Step 4.. is we pay... once we have a place locked in.. we'll set the price for a bunk by dividing up the daily cost of the cabin by the total number of people bunking.. and transfer via yaplap... If you plan on attending, but not bunking.. I ask that you help the out of towners out, and all of those guys pitch in a few bucks to help cover the cost of food, booze, paper plates, etc..etc.. the out of towners are already going to be paying for flights, the cabin that the rest of the HERF'ers will be enjoying, and other associated travel costs.. the least the day HERFers can do is help feed/drink/smoke the overnight guys.. since theyre paying for the location..

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
As of today, the weekend of the 10th through the 12th is the only one that will work for me 100%. If it is a different weekend than that then I am not necessarily out but will need to reevaluate.

I don't think that the weekend before that will be a viable option for most of us because Sunday the 5th is actually Easter Sunday.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Northwest Suburbs of the Windy City of Chicago
As of today, the weekend of the 10th through the 12th is the only one that will work for me 100%. If it is a different weekend than that then I am not necessarily out but will need to reevaluate.

I don't think that the weekend before that will be a viable option for most of us because Sunday the 5th is actually Easter Sunday.
The weekend of Easter would be no good for me as well.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Count me in. I need a bunk. Can somebody recap how long this HERF is? Sounds like 2 days? Just lemme know and I'm there for the whole damn thing. Also, I will not be eating any of the apple slices out of the shine jar this year so you won't get any pix of me napping.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Count me in. I need a bunk. Can somebody recap how long this HERF is? Sounds like 2 days? Just lemme know and I'm there for the whole damn thing. Also, I will not be eating any of the apple slices out of the shine jar this year so you won't get any pix of me napping.
This sounds like a challenge!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ok gents... a couple of changes to the original plan....

went to look for cabins today... in the week since we started talking about this.. most of the cabins that are even remotely affordable have sold out the weekend of the 10th...

I also got put on notice this morning from the pistol packing house boss that we have a schedule conflict.. the NRA national convention is that weekend.. and she had already signed us up to do volunteer work there...

due to the very limited selection of cabins.. and not wanting to have a very angry woman on my hands that regularly carries a glock.. I think we're going to have to move the dates to the weekend of the 17th - 19th...

I will update the post on the first page as well to reflect so that no one gets confused..

I understand this date change might impact some of you guys being able to come that have tentatively reserved a bunk.. If the new dates dont work out.. I apologize.. and COMPLETELY understand if you cant make it (no need to hold to your statement on needing a bed)...

I know there are a few others that are still on the fence about overnighting.. and realize that there will probably be a few on the list currently that may fall out.... so.. here's what Im going to do....

Im going to try to find us a cabin today that has at least 12 beds (if I have to give up my bunk to make room for someone else.. not a problem.. I live close enough to day trip it... If I can get a place that is reasonably priced with more (15 or more) I will.... but Ill set 12 as the minimum...

Once I get a place locked down.. Ill take the price.. divide it by the number of beds available.. and then post the bunk price here....

Those on "the list" already have first dibbs on bunks.. once I have a price, Ill send each of you a PM in addition to posting the price here.. go to lapyap.. make your payment.. and the bunk is yours..

bunks will be on a first come - first served basis though.. assuming we can only get a place with 12 bunks for example.. the first 12 people to pay get them... stragglers will be looking at an air mattress and some floor space (at no bunk cost.. any yaplap money sent would be sent back to you)..

If there are any bunks left after 1 week.. Ill then open the remaining bunks to whoever may want them.. also on a first come, first served basis.. if for some reason we dont fill them all (I find us a place with 16 beds.. and only 14 sell.. then Ill eat the additional cost.. no problem..

If we get more people overall wanting beds than we have beds available... floor space for sleeping bags/air mattresses is always available.. you might also take your chances and get lucky with a couch (most of these cabins have several couches... some are bunks (sleeper sofas).. but some are not.. there is a small chance you could get lucky and still be able to find something better than hardwood floor for a sleep spot.. but.. know on the front end there is no guarantee if you dont reserve/pay for a bunk..

If you plan on attending the HERF, but do not plan on getting a bunk.. it is not required.. but is encouraged that you make a small donation to the food and drink fund... The guys buying bunks will be paying for your HERF spot... I dont think its too much to ask that the rest of us chip in and help pay for their food/drink/smokes..

Ill take any money put into the food/drink/smoke fund and make sure we are well stocked on breakfast/lunch/dinner supplies.. if there is any money left over after that, Ill see what I can do to come up with some "door prizes" to give away to attendees..

Lets do this!

:)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
oh.. one last thing....

if you are wanting a bunk... please go look at the list on the first page of this thread and confirm your name is on "the list".. if you have not clearly stated "I want a bunk" and have merely mentioned you are planning on attending.. I probably have not added you.. it is also possible I have missed someone.. so PLEASE confirm you are on the list if you intend on grabbing a bed...

If youre not on the list.. you wont get the PM.. and wont be first in line for beds...

Thanks!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ok... options were limited.. but.. I got us a place...

http://www.cabinsofthesmokymountains.com/gatlinburg-cabin-rental/Black_Bear_Bunkhouse.html

We've got the Black Bear Bunkhouse reserved from the night of the 17th through the morning of the 19th.

Here's how the pricing breaks down:

April 17th $570
April 18th $570
5 Bedroom Cleaning Fee $96
5 Bedroom Service Fee $48
Hot Tub Cleaning Fee $36
Sales Tax $168.30

Total: $1488.30

The cleaning fees (to include hot tub) are unavoidable.. they are required to clean it whether we use it or not.. and are charging us for it..

The total cost is a bit higher than I originally thought.. I wasnt accounting for all the fees, tax, etc.. so the day rate is a bit higher than expected as well...

This place "sleeps 20"... but thats only if 2 or 3 of you want to curl up next to each other in the same bed...

There are a total of 12 beds available...

So... $1488.30 divided by 12 beds.... equals $124.03 each (or $62.02 per night)...

Still a whole lot cheaper than the hotels in the area.. and should be a whole lot nicer and more fun..

That said.. I totally understand if this is not a price you can live with and would prefer to stay somewhere else.. or revert to an air mattress to keep things cheaper..

So... no one on "the list" is required to keep their commitment.. no harm, no foul if you need to back out.. it is completely understandable..

I will send a PM to everyone on the list in the next hour or so with yaplap info.. if you want a bunk, please send $$ right away (already paid for this thing on my credit card... 50% is due in advance.. the balance is due upon check out).. at the end of the week, if there are any beds left Ill let everyone know and we'll open it up to the group...

If everyone on the list is "in".. and we end up with more people than we have beds.. Ill see about getting some roll-away beds or some other bunk option for any overage.. and we'll refund any overage paid by everyone upon arrival...

PM's on the way now...

Last edited: