What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

MICSTOGIE

Gear-Head-Banger
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Currently in secondary (brewed on New Years Day 17) an Imperial Oatmeal Stout with oak chips, Maker Mark bourbon & cocoa nibs. When kegging will add cold press coffee & vanilla extract.
At this time I have a Strong Scotch ale & the 2016 version new year brew which is an Imperial Milk stout aged on brandy & oak.
Up next will be an American Blonde & a barleywine.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Solera vessels 1 and 2 of 3 have been filled with a lambic inspired american sour ale. The 3rd will be filled in the next couple of weeks. Originally we were going to use a 59 gallon wine barrel, previously used at a friends brewery as a sour barrel, as our solera vessel however we waited too long to fill it and it developed mold. We figured 3 weeks might be ok between dumping and filling but apparently not. Going with multiple stainless sankeys instead allows us more possibilities at bottling time. We can bottle 3 seperate beers or blend as appropriate therefore increasing our chance of success.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
How did you sour your berliner?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Interesting you should ask. I posed the same question on my homebrew club page and a guy who is known for making terrific sours just happened to answer.

Mash in as normal then boil wort for 10 minutes. Add 1qt Goodbelly probiotic drink (he suggested mango) and hold at 90 degrees for 48 hours. After that continue with brew day as normal. 60 minute boil, small hop edition to achieve less than 10 IBU and then pitch regular ale yeast.

Apparently the goodbelly is a pure strain of lacto. By souring the wort pre-boil you don't have to worry about infecting your plastics and keeping separate pieces just for sours.

The beer fermented to 3% and is is the keg carbing as we speak. The wort tasted like pineapple juice. Can't wait to try it.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Interesting you should ask. I posed the same question on my homebrew club page and a guy who is known for making terrific sours just happened to answer.

Mash in as normal then boil wort for 10 minutes. Add 1qt Goodbelly probiotic drink (he suggested mango) and hold at 90 degrees for 48 hours. After that continue with brew day as normal. 60 minute boil, small hop edition to achieve less than 10 IBU and then pitch regular ale yeast.

Apparently the goodbelly is a pure strain of lacto. By souring the wort pre-boil you don't have to worry about infecting your plastics and keeping separate pieces just for sours.

The beer fermented to 3% and is is the keg carbing as we speak. The wort tasted like pineapple juice. Can't wait to try it.
That's my exact process too. I started off using goodbelly but have since changed to a probiotic that is 100% lacto plantarum which is the same as good belly. I make a 2l starter with 6 tablets. I'm able to drop the ph to 3.2 in 36 hours or less.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've got a 60 shilling scottish ale in primary and various sours in secondary/long term aging. I've got a blackberry berliner weisse, flanders red, and imperial stout on tap.