What's new

How do you pick your DE razorblade?

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Used a feather blade for the first time today, very nice shave.

Started out my first pass with a Shark that I'd already used twice. When rinsing between passes, found a LOT of spots that just weren't as close as I'd like, so I chucked it and threw in a feather. I was kinda nervous after reading all the 'wow these are so sharp you'll hack your face' reviews about them but I didn't have any issues at all.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I just used tossed my first blade I used a shark and it was a great shave but it has wore away. So I now have a new blade to choose one so I think I am going to try my Gillette 7 o'clock

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For blades, so far my favorite is the Personna Lab Blue, but I'm working my way through about 12 other types I've picked up. I like Astras for the first two shaves, but they drop off after that. The Rapira Swedish has been pretty good. So far I've not cared as much for Merkur blades, Derbys, or Crystals.

Locally I can pick up Derby and Personna Labs at local Sally Beauty Supply shops. The only other blades I've been able to find nearby are house brands at drug stores and grocery stores. My experience with one of those was not good...

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well now that I've been shaving with a DE for a few weeks now I'm ready to move past the Derby blades. I was looking for some BIC at a decent price but they were more expensive than a larger pack of Feathers. So it might not be a good idea but I'm going straight from Derby Extra to Feathers. I'm confident in my ability to shave with out cutting myself. I'm a little intimidated by the claims of how sharp they are but I am also not really worried.

I got my father the dame Edwin Jagger 89lbl that I have for fathers day. I'll give him some Derby's to get reacquainted with DE razors as well as some of the 50 pack of Feathers I picked up. He already has a kick ass badger brush so all he needed was a nice razor and some blades. I'm also supplying him with some Nivea post shave balm for father's day. My dad is a few shaves short of 70yo so he has used DE razors in his youth and has developed a conspiracy theory with Gillette and how they make the old razors less sharp when they come out with a new cartridge. So I decided to take him back to his youth with old fashioned shaving. I let he and my mom feel my face after shaving at their house with my DE in the shower and figured since we share the same genetic code for skin that he should display similar sensitivity to shaving. I think this will be a cool father's day gift for him.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
You are on the right track, Adam!

I also like the Israeli Personas as well. Almost as sharp as the Feathers, but sharper than anything else I've tried.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i have worked through a dozen and a half easy, and feather is where i'm settling. respect them, learn how to handle them, and they are amazing, and on the cheap side to boot!

just have a styptic or alum block on hand in case the horse gets away from the rider, so to speak. o)

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I used the feather blade yesterday and it shaved awesome. I will try out some personna I guess too. So far feathers are the shiznit.
I got more personas than I know what to do with... You want some? I can shoot you a 10'er.

Anyone got Adam's address? I had it but that was a while ago...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've started to find blades I really like with my ATT Atlas M1. It DOES NOT care for Sharks. Gillette 7 o'clock blacks have lasted one shave before they're in the blade bank. But the razor performs like a dream with Gillette Super Blues and Personna Med Preps.

KLF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My favorite blades right now are Gillette Platinum. I bought a 100 pack from liorfe.com for 30$.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Out of curiosity, what is the technical difference that creates different effects in blades? Is it the grind and angle? Type of steel? Something entirely else?

KLF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also the coating of the blades makes a very big difference also.
I bought a sample pack of blades from www.liorfe.com
All the blades are made in the same factory, same steel, same grinding process. However the main difference is the coating material and it can make a huge difference on how you feel the blade on your skin.