What's new

How's your day going?

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Looks like the hard part is done @Boudie. Well done!

I got off work early which was a good thing. Our 3 shipping containers sold yesterday, so my daughter and I have to move everything out of them and into the garage.
I'm off tomorrow as well to get the rest of the stuff out of the containers and then clear out our crawl space.
Containers are getting picked up Saturday morning at 7, so the next couple days are gonna be a real push!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Alwayslit

yea asked the tile guy to order the tile and put me on the schedule. I also asked him to be prepared to sand the floor, question was, do you want all that dust in your house? My reply, vacuum or scrape old glue? Lets go with the vacuum

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
@Alwayslit

yea asked the tile guy to order the tile and put me on the schedule. I also asked him to be prepared to sand the floor, question was, do you want all that dust in your house? My reply, vacuum or scrape old glue? Lets go with the vacuum
Al, have you thought about just staining and clear coating the the concrete floor after it's sanded? It looks bitchin' and almost zero maintenance.
No grout to clean or break apart over time.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Al, have you thought about just staining and clear coating the the concrete floor after it's sanded? It looks bitchin' and almost zero maintenance.
No grout to clean or break apart over time.

Thats an interesting thought. We briefly discussed it but I'm afraid the hairline cracks in the concrete would be visable and we would have to deal with some uneven spots that tile would hide. The tile we chose has a very thin grout line, maybe 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch as it was described I know the flooring people are not intending to sand down to the original concrete, just to the point that if doesn't make the tile uneven.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
@Alwayslit

I wouldn't sand the concrete. There is no way I would want that dust throughout the house. I don't think the scraping would be too bad and you'll get a better result after it sets with the new thin set.....imho

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I wouldn't sand the concrete. There is no way I would want that dust throughout the house. I don't think the scraping would be too bad and you'll get a better result after it sets with the new thin set.....imho

You are probably right but they didn't offer that advice at the time I had to make the decision. Fortunately these three rooms can be cordoned off with doors and plastic keeping the mess localized. I have to paint anyway and all the furniture will be moved. I'll drive by today and pose the questions again. If the glue does not cause problems with the thin set there will not be that much sanding. I spent a couple of hours with the hammer drill pulling up the majority of the glue. They didn't volunteer to include scraping in the price, and they didn't ask for more money to sand. If they sand and I get my wife to vacuum, my part is done.

Thanks for your advice

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I'd wear an n95 and I wouldn't vacuum. I'd mop up the dust to encapsulate and wipe down the walls really good before you paint.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good idea, I'll shoot pics of the floor and show "my guy" let him make final decision. Is there a problem with thin set adhering to the adhesive?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Getting back to the name of the thread for a bit

I have two fish tanks a 29 gallon and a 10 gallon. The 29 gallon has to be topped off every couple of weeks with about an inch of new water. The 10g loses water fairly quickly needing water once a week or so?

My wife asked the question "Why do the fish in the small tank drink so much more water then the fish in the large tank?" I had no answer, just a smile

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd wear an n95 and I wouldn't vacuum. I'd mop up the dust to encapsulate and wipe down the walls really good before you paint.
Concrete dust can definitely wreck lungs over the long term. I wouldn't want that stuff floating around in the house.

When I worked in a hospital they would make the construction crews run huge air filters anytime they did renovations that involved sanding and drilling on concrete. Obviously, there were exceptions for stuff like hanging a cabinet, but sanding the floors or putting in a new doorway required taping the area off with plastic and setting up filtration.

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Concrete dust can definitely wreck lungs over the long term. I wouldn't want that stuff floating around in the house.

When I worked in a hospital they would make the construction crews run huge air filters anytime they did renovations that involved sanding and drilling on concrete. Obviously, there were exceptions for stuff like hanging a cabinet, but sanding the floors or putting in a new doorway required taping the area off with plastic and setting up filtration.
If you have the right equipment or the right people with the right equipment there's really no dust at all.
I have used the same equipment this dude uses to do 2 concrete floors and it's safe and easy.
My last boss had two of these machines as we did quite a bit of concrete floors in certain rooms of the homes we were building.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Checked again with the floor guy and he said the sanding will be messy but open doors with fans pulling the dust out and lots of plastic sheeting will help. I'll wrap the china cabinets, fridge and everything else that can't me moved. Double hang plastic on bedroom doors and entrance to kitchen. I am repainting when they get finished anyway so the walls will get a good cleaning when the floor is done.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
If you have the right equipment or the right people with the right equipment there's really no dust at all.
I have used the same equipment this dude uses to do 2 concrete floors and it's safe and easy.
My last boss had two of these machines as we did quite a bit of concrete floors in certain rooms of the homes we were building.

It's encapsulating the dust. I assume that vacuums it up. Wow, 9 days on the floor that's painful.

Last edited:

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
It's encapsulating the dust. I assume that vacuums it up. Wow, 9 days on the floor that's painful.
Yep, it's sucks up the dust which is nice. No mask needed.
It's a hell of a lot of work, but we usually only did a couple rooms. The guy in the video did his entire house.