What's new

Humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a small 20 count as my first humidor. Having an issue with my hygrometer and looking for some information on what i should purchase. Seems like everyone is recommending a digital. Also should i replace my humidifier while I am at it. Whats everyone recommend? Where to buy? Thank you.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Analog hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.. go digital.. everyone has their preferences.. but the most popular seem to be hygroset (my preference) or Xikar.. you can pick them up pretty inexpensively on cbid if you watch for a deal (I think I paid $13 for my last one)..

Do consider getting rid of the florist foam that comes in most small humidors as well.. and replace with something more reliable, mold resistant, etc.. there are several options.. for a 20 count, a single boveda pack should do you just fine and last for a month or two depending on your climate, the humidor seal, etc.. (then you can recharge and use again..and again.. and again..).. or you can go with a gel (not my preference.. but some like).. or kitty litter.. or beads.. etc.. all a matter of preference..

I wouldnt spend a whole lot of time/money worrying about it though.. now that you are a member here.. you're likely going to outgrow that 20 count within a matter of weeks.. and be asking the same questions about how to set up a 6'x10' walk in soon :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, throw away your humidifier and your hygrometer. Go online and grab a digital unit and some Boveda packs for humidification and you should be good to go.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Go get a similar-sized tupperware (or other food-grade, airtight container) at a local store, then go to eBay and get one 65% Boveda pack, one Boveda calibration kit, and a digital Xikar hygrometer. With the airtight tupperware, the Boveda should last almost indefinitely.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies! I have notice home depot carries a hygrometer for about $10 is that worth it?

I think my next would be some sort of a tower. Maybe after a couple tenured cigar years ill set a walk in up!!

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
you're likely going to outgrow that 20 count within a matter of weeks.. and be asking the same questions about how to set up a 6'x10' walk in soon :)
This^^^ lol wise words

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Ya just a warning a couple of years. I don't think so. I started here in March I started with a 150 count well lets just say that didn't last long at all. I am now in the place that I am debating going with a coolidor or a winedor.

This slope is very dangerous but fun as hell.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies! I have notice home depot carries a hygrometer for about $10 is that worth it?

I think my next would be some sort of a tower. Maybe after a couple tenured cigar years ill set a walk in up!!
are you able to calibrate it? if not, then probably not worth it.. its worth the extra $3-$5 to get one that is designed for a humidor (will take less space, can be calibrated, etc..)..

Ive got a $10 hygro in my cabinet... I bought it because it has a large LCD read out that I can see from across the room.. Ive been lucky its pretty spot on in terms of accuracy... but I've got 2 other hygroset hygros in the cabinet as well that I actually rely on to give me readings (one at the top.. the other at the bottom)..

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
If you have a boveda or two in that small an environment, why would you need a hygrometer?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
If you have a boveda or two in that small an environment, why would you need a hygrometer?
this is a very good point..

if youre going the boveda route for RH.. you likely dont need a hygro at all in a 20 count

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should i just throw a boveda pack in and no hygrometer? I live in ohio and my house stays pretty chill. Probably average of 66 degree's during the winter. Not too sure what the humidity level is but id assume pretty low. Should that be any worry?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
get one 65% Boveda pack, one Boveda calibration kit, and a digital Xikar hygrometer.
I think you could just skip the calibration kit if you were already ordering a Boveda 65. Maybe I'm wrong, I believe my calibration kit had a 75% bag in there.

Is there something magical about calibrating it with 75 RH or can someone just use a 65% if they were already getting one anyway?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Naw you have nothing to worry about. As long as the humidor has a good seal you'll be fine. Post a picture of it.

You could always watch the analog hygrometer see if it has any big changes to it. That way you know if you are losing any RH. Just my opinion.

Oh Dave shut it you. Hear me.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
That's fine use a boveda to calibrate the hygrometer just to watch and make sure nothing goes to out of wack. My opinion would be go with a 69Rh boveda but it's my opinion.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
get one 65% Boveda pack, one Boveda calibration kit, and a digital Xikar hygrometer.
I think you could just skip the calibration kit if you were already ordering a Boveda 65. Maybe I'm wrong, I believe my calibration kit had a 75% bag in there.

Is there something magical about calibrating it with 75 RH or can someone just use a 65% if they were already getting one anyway?
The reason that the calibration kit is at 75% is because that is the magic number when it comes to calibrating. Salt in solution (salt test) and Boveda calibration kits both generate an environment of 75%. digital hygrometers are designed to "reset" to 75% for this reason. The principal behind this is that you create an environment of 75% humidity and then align your hygrometer to that same humidity.

Once you know that your hygrometer is correct at 75% you can move it to other environments and it will give you an accurate reading in those environments. if the humidity in your room is 45%, it should correctly read 45%. If the humidity in your humidor is 70%, it should read 70% in that environment. And so on. The key is to make sure it is accurate at 75% first.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 38134

This is before i set it up.
Yeah you could just order a 65% Boveda for $3.95 and be done.

The main reason you'll probably need that digital hygrometer is a few months from now to start paying attention to the Boveda dying out.

...or you could just order a new Boveda every 2 months or so and never buy a hygro....you're definitely going to need a hygro eventually though, just money saving tips for now if you're on a budget.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 38134

This is before i set it up.
Yeah you could just order a 65% Boveda for $3.95 and be done.

The main reason you'll probably need that digital hygrometer is a few months from now to start paying attention to the Boveda dying out.

...or you could just order a new Boveda every 2 months or so and never buy a hygro....you're definitely going to need a hygro eventually though, just money saving tips for now if you're on a budget.
Awesome. Im not too worried about spending money the money on the hygrometer. Also do you know generally speaking if stores carry the packs? or order online?