What's new

Humidor

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason that the calibration kit is at 75% is because that is the magic number when it comes to calibrating.
Oh okay. I don't necessarily get the science why it can't be any number, but if 75 is the magic number then that is good to know. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 38134

This is before i set it up.
Yeah you could just order a 65% Boveda for $3.95 and be done.

The main reason you'll probably need that digital hygrometer is a few months from now to start paying attention to the Boveda dying out.

...or you could just order a new Boveda every 2 months or so and never buy a hygro....you're definitely going to need a hygro eventually though, just money saving tips for now if you're on a budget.
Awesome. Im not too worried about spending money the money on the hygrometer. Also do you know generally speaking if stores carry the packs? or order online?
Every store near me, and I checked 4 different stores, all carried 72% Bovedas.

Nobody carried the 65%.

The good folks around here told me that even though these shop owners may swear by something in the 70's RH, that 65% was where I wanted to be at.

I took that advice, went to Bovedas website and ordered the 65 and my cigars are perfect.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
That's fine use a boveda to calibrate the hygrometer just to watch and make sure nothing goes to out of wack. My opinion would be go with a 69Rh boveda but it's my opinion.
Sorry but this is incorrect advice. ^^

Digital hygrometers have a reset button on them that sets them to 75%. If you put them in a controlled environment with 69% humidity, your hygrometer will end up being off by 6%.

Why? Because when you reset your digital hygrometer you are setting it to a reading of 75%. If the humidity is actually 69% you are now off by 6%. (your hygrometer thinks that 69% is 75%).

This is just advice for calibration BTW. As far as storage, I (lake many others here) prefer 65%.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Oh I know that is correct but I was talking about recalibrating the analog so he could use it with the bovedas with the analog one.
I know it was slightly off on how I worded it.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I calibrate mine using a 65%, he never said anything about pushing the button to adjust it and I don't adjust mine. I measure it against a 65% and if it is a bit off I write on the back of it on a piece of tape with a black sharpie what the difference is. So it's incorrect if you are adjusting it, but just fine for calibrating.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Digital hygrometers have a reset button on them that sets them to 75%.
I see what you are saying now...for some reason I thought I actually dialed it in point to point until I got there, but you are right, I just hit the reset button and it went to 75.

Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I see ohio and cincy in the name. If you are around Cincinnati both jungle Jim's and party source in Bellevue ky carry them. I like the party source in ky more than jungle Jim's but they both carry them

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I calibrate mine using a 65%, he never said anything about pushing the button to adjust it and I don't adjust mine. I measure it against a 65% and if it is a bit off I write on the back of it on a piece of tape with a black sharpie what the difference is. So it's incorrect if you are adjusting it, but just fine for calibrating.
When I see stuff like this:

Accurate to +/- 2% at 70% humidity....(on xikar hygro info)

It makes it seem there is some type of sliding scale. If that were the case, I would think calibrating with a 65% and just marking the difference on there, could maybe lead to false readings?

..but then again maybe it's so insignificant..

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Point well taken :skew:

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I don't honestly know if it is a sliding scale, but if it reads 65% with a 65% boveda (which I found recently when calibrating), I just let it ride. I used to be really anal about having it perfectly calibrated, but now I try to get it close, but more so gauge the cigars by how well they are smoking.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I don't honestly know if it is a sliding scale, but if it reads 65% with a 65% boveda (which I found recently when calibrating), I just let it ride. I used to be really anal about having it perfectly calibrated, but now I try to get it close, but more so gauge the cigars by how well they are smoking.
^^This^^

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am totally with you on this ^^^

What I had in mind was in the example where you use a 65% and your hygro is a push button that's set to 75.

You can mark the 10 point difference but when your hygro is that far off....idk, it seems like a lot of points to be off....but yeah, if your hygro is close at least you can just judge how your cigars smoke and feel.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see ohio and cincy in the name. If you are around Cincinnati both jungle Jim's and party source in Bellevue ky carry them. I like the party source in ky more than jungle Jim's but they both carry them
Actually I live pretty close to Jungle Jim's. That's where I picked up my humidor and have been purchasing my cigars. So they carry the packs? Thanks for the info! Small world!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Maybe it's just because I have seen walkins at various shops with old school hygro's and markings like +10 or -8 and they all added up to the same number. If I found my hygro to be 10 off and it was one with push button I would likely get the 75% Boveda and get it dialed in.

My point was just that you can use any of them (65, 70, 75, 84) to check your hygrometer for accuracy.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe it's just because I have seen walkins at various shops with old school hygro's and markings like +10 or -8 and they all added up to the same number. If I found my hygro to be 10 off and it was one with push button I would likely get the 75% Boveda and get it dialed in.

My point was just that you can use any of them (65, 70, 75, 84) to check your hygrometer for accuracy.

Understood, it's good to know. I would prefer doing any one of the different Bovedas over the salt test.

Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Which jungle I know the Fairfield one carry the packs they are outside the walk in with the pipes and stuff. Also if you are new to cigars and want to explore your tastes both jungle Fairfield location and party source have tastings every week party source 5-9 in Tuesdays at the beer sellar in Newport ky and jungles does there's on Thursday night from 5-9 at the Fairfield location. I used to go to both weekly until I switched to jobs. It will let you sample the cigars fairly cheap party source is 10 dollars for 2-3 cigars and jungles is 15 dollars for 2-3 cigars.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Just before he went on vacation a couple of months ago, my father in law said he'd give me his 20 count humidor (would have been my first). He couldn't find it and said he'd look when he got back. By the time he got back a month later, I told him not to bother as I had already outgrown it.

Go for the tupperdor (as others have said). Mine can probably hold a couple of hundred sticks (and likely will).

But, if you already bought it, keep it to hold the sticks you're going to be smoking in the near future and keep your tupperdor for longer term storage. Plus, a wooden humidor looks a lot nicer on the dining room shelf then a tupperdor does (or so my wife keeps saying).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which jungle I know the Fairfield one carry the packs they are outside the walk in with the pipes and stuff. Also if you are new to cigars and want to explore your tastes both jungle Fairfield location and party source have tastings every week party source 5-9 in Tuesdays at the beer sellar in Newport ky and jungles does there's on Thursday night from 5-9 at the Fairfield location. I used to go to both weekly until I switched to jobs. It will let you sample the cigars fairly cheap party source is 10 dollars for 2-3 cigars and jungles is 15 dollars for 2-3 cigars.
Yea the Jungle Jim's in fairfield isn't too far from me at all. I know exactly where your talking about. Thanks for the infor on the tastings I will have to try it out!