What's new

Humidor

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Don't put any other cigars in there other than Acid, or they'll all taste like the Acids. The infused stuff is usually stored separately from non-infused from what I've seen. Never had an Acid though.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
View attachment 38134

This is before i set it up.
Couple things:

1: If you plan on smoking anything but Acids, you're going to want multiple storage solutions. The infused scent from the Acids will leech into -and completely ruin- any other cigars you put in there.

2: Have you checked that humidor for seal? I've never seen a mass-produced 20ct humidor able to hold humidity. My guess is you'll need a new Boveda every month just to keep up, as the humidity leaks out, the Boveda will dry up and you'll need to cycle frequently. That's the primary reason I recommend tupperware, it'll seal up and hold the proper humidity. In a tupperware, the Boveda can last indefinitely.

So it looks like I am making a trip later on to pick up a boveda pack. Any recommendations on a couple mild cigars i should pick up?
Look for cigars with a Connecticut wrapper, like the Oliva Connecticut. EP Carillo New Wave, San Cristobal Elegancia, Ashton Classic, and the Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne are some other ones I sometimes recommend to guys newer to cigars.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I just went through this whole process and the good brothers here set me straight with great advice. It took me over three weeks to dial in that &*#^# hygrometer until I did with a salt test at 75%. Now it's fine.

But let me add a couple of things that I've discovered or learned here that hasn't yet been mentioned:
1. Patience is a virtue. You may be storing cigars for years, let alone months or weeks. With that in mind, if it takes several days to get the humidor or tuppidor set up and dialed in, that's okay. Do it properly from the beginning and you'll be a lot happier.
2. Anytime... ANYTIME you need to wet something with water, use distilled water
3. Take the size of the humidor you want or think you need and triple it.
4. Ask questions - the guys here have been incredibly helpful and all of them deserve to be sent a box of their favorites for their willingness to share their experience. (I'm poor, brothers, so that ain't actually going to happen)

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Well, the #ProMove would be to smoke all three at once. Granted, when you wake up in 12 hours you'll have a killer headache.

Seriously, if it's your first of the day, I'd smoke the Macanudo as I found it to be pretty mild.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cincy, do yourself a favor and buy some 60 gram 69% boveda packs. eBay is a good source unless you find them in your local cigar shop. Depending on how often you open the humidor will determine how many to put in. Start with two packs, one on the bottom and one on the top of the cigars (they can touch the cigars). Don't get caught up in all the hype, you're to new to this and the lessons are expensive. I see you've bought a hygrometer and while some will say you need it, you don't. Take it back and replace it with a couple cigars. The best gauge of a healthy cigar will be the pinch test and by smoking them. Read read read, spend time with your local tobacconist and gain the knowledge. This is a very rewarding hobby if you will, and its easy to go overboard. Oh, that black hockey puck that came with the humidor, you can just throw that away. BTW, I'm in the Cleveland area.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually its funny you said that. I am having an issue calibrating my xikar hygrometer. I did the ziplock test with filling a cap with salt then putting some water in there for hours. Last night it got up to 58%. So i ended up doing it again this morning before i left for work. Just now checked on it. It's been 4 hours and it's sitting at 55%. Any idea's?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i put my cigars in a tupperwear with the hockey puck humidifier. Figured it wouldn't harm it until i figured out how to get the Hygrometer set up correctly. Also i purchased a Boveda Pad 69 put it in the humidor with a bowl of distilled water to leave there until everything was complete.

Any other idea's?!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That hygrometer doesn't have a calibration button. It is supposed to be correct out of the box. I would put in the hygrometer inside the humidor with out the cigars and with the 69% pad and wait till it reads 69-70. After that you can put your cigars in and check on it every other day. The problem with the puck and humidor is that it's small (inexpensive) and won't recover as fast. The salt test is very unreliable if not done correctly. You could purchase the boveda calibration bag and that would tell you if it's reading 75%. The Tupperware is a good alternative till you get it all sorted out, just hold off on buying more cigars until then. BTW, the UZI is a great cigar.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Also i put my cigars in a tupperwear with the hockey puck humidifier. Figured it wouldn't harm it until i figured out how to get the Hygrometer set up correctly. Also i purchased a Boveda Pad 69 put it in the humidor with a bowl of distilled water to leave there until everything was complete.

Any other idea's?!
Yeah. Take the distilled water out. Put all your acids in humidor. Put other sticks in Tupperware.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually its funny you said that. I am having an issue calibrating my xikar hygrometer. I did the ziplock test with filling a cap with salt then putting some water in there for hours. Last night it got up to 58%. So i ended up doing it again this morning before i left for work. Just now checked on it. It's been 4 hours and it's sitting at 55%. Any idea's?
Someone mentioned your hygro doesn't have a calibration button. I have 2 Xikar hygro's and mine def do have a calibration button.

If you trust the salt test, after that long, hit the button that says calibrate on it and the number will change to 75.

If you want to calibrate it again, each time you have to remove the battery, just pop it out, pop it right back in, then put in the salt test again, wait 4 hrs then hit button.

I would order the boveda calibration kit, thats just me. Its peace of mind for me personally. Not to take anything from the salt test, its just my personal opinion.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone mentioned your hygro doesn't have a calibration button. I have 2 Xikar hygro's and mine def do have a calibration button.

If you trust the salt test, after that long, hit the button that says calibrate on it and the number will change to 75.

If you want to calibrate it again, each time you have to remove the battery, just pop it out, pop it right back in, then put in the salt test again, wait 4 hrs then hit button.

I would order the boveda calibration kit, thats just me. Its peace of mind for me personally. Not to take anything from the salt test, its just my personal opinion.
I checked out the xikar it only has 1 button which changes it from c to f. I have had a hell of a time getting the humidor set. I let a bowl of distilled water and the pad left it overnight with the hygrometer it never got higher than 58. Maybe i need a better humidor possibly? Not sure on where to go from here.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I checked out the xikar it only has 1 button which changes it from c to f. I have had a hell of a time getting the humidor set. I let a bowl of distilled water and the pad left it overnight with the hygrometer it never got higher than 58. Maybe i need a better humidor possibly? Not sure on where to go from here.
There is no doubt that you need a better humidor but from what you're saying, I feel like its your hygrometer.

A lot of people in this thread have suggested a tupperware. In some ways a tupperdor is better than getting a nicer humidor.

You can see through it, you can get 1 thin cedar sheet out of a cigar box, put that in bottom of tupperware for the aroma.

Good humidors with a good seal are good thing to have, but for your current situation, I would grab a tupperware for the time being.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, the boveda pack is 2 way. It sucks up moisture and also releases moisture, whichever it needs to maintain the number you bought (69 I think you said).

May not help but you should def take the boveda out to season, you should only have bowl of water in there, after letting that sit, the RH should go at least to the 70s.

Then take water bowl out and put boveda in by itself and that is when it will do its thing with whatever moisture is left in there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is no doubt that you need a better humidor but from what you're saying, I feel like its your hygrometer.

A lot of people in this thread have suggested a tupperware. In some ways a tupperdor is better than getting a nicer humidor.

You can see through it, you can get 1 thin cedar sheet out of a cigar box, put that in bottom of tupperware for the aroma.

Good humidors with a good seal are good thing to have, but for your current situation, I would grab a tupperware for the time being.
The hygrometer i purchased new it seems too work fine. Im just having a hard time getting the humidity up in the box. I mean it's just a small box the seal feels okay i guess. I have the cigars in the tupperware as of now with the pad. I am thinking about just ordering a new humidor. Any suggestions on where to get a decent price on one?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or could i just be doing everything in properly and should essentially start from scratch again? Or could it be because my house stays so cool and the humidity level in the house is so low? im not sure on how that would affect the box though.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mentioned you did salt test and they wouldn't move from 66 I think?

That's not good, your b&m can maybe calibrate it with theirs if you drop it off or hang there for a bit, then if its off they may give you a new one, don't quote me on that one.

Try taking boveda out first, just water bowl in there all day, then if you ggetin the 70s, take water out and THEN put boveda in by itself then it should stabalize perfectly.

As far as buying better humidor, idk.

I strictly operate off tupperware since they work so well.