What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Looks good!
Yeah, MFP entries are user submitted, so some are way off. I'm thinking that's a good bit more than 7 g. Protein....
For sure, between the steak and the egg.

Calories don't add up either, 24 grams of fat (216 calories), 7 g of protein (28), and 4 grams of carbs (16) add up to 260 calories. Calories are probably right, I'm guessing 30-40 grams of protein an maybe more fat as well?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Well assuming that MFP is right.......haha I'm at 18 net for the day and under calories. Today was harder than yesterday for some reason. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Trying to stay under 20g for as long as possible
Good stuff! It gets easier. If you go a little over, it's not a huge deal.
Granted, it's best to keep it under 20-30 consistently for the first 6-8 weeks, just to smooth the process. But if you get off track a little, just get right back on the next day. Stick with it and you'll be fine.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Practical application of LCHF according to a dietitian. Some good comparisons of actual macros of real foods. Fairly useful. But a tad boring and slow.

But daaaaang! Gorgeous Asian Chick with an Australian accent! I think I'm in love... :eek: :woot::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Question for you, Jeremy @Glassman . I've been using the test strips for several weeks. Never been lower than "medium" on ketones. Did my usual 10 or less carbs yesterday.
Had coffee with MCT Oil before the gym this morning, worked out, then had eggs with cheese, and bacon for lunch.
Tested when I got home from lunch, and I'm between "low" and "no" ketones for the first time in at least 30 days of testing. Any ideas?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Question for you, Jeremy @Glassman . I've been using the test strips for several weeks. Never been lower than "medium" on ketones. Did my usual 10 or less carbs yesterday.
Had coffee with MCT Oil before the gym this morning, worked out, then had eggs with cheese, and bacon for lunch.
Tested when I got home from lunch, and I'm between "low" and "no" ketones for the first time in at least 30 days of testing. Any ideas?
Well, my understanding is that the strips are measuring "excess" Ketones. My first inclination is to think that it's a sign of becoming more adapted, and your body producing the needed amount of Ketones without a lot of excess.

I had a similar situation, in that my keto breath finally went away for the most part.

Shouldn't affect weight loss or muscle gain in and of itself.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Thanks Jeremy. I hope that's the case, seems to make sense. I'd be awfully PO'ed if it meant I had come out of ketosis while depriving myself of carbs so much. 2 hours later I tested "medium". I'm like the pilot in "Airplane", I'm all over the place. What an asshole. :ROFLMAO:

I don't know if you made me self-conscious with your Keto breath comment, but suddenly my mouth tastes like shit. :ROFLMAO:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks Jeremy. I hope that's the case, seems to make sense. I'd be awfully PO'ed if it meant I had come out of ketosis while depriving myself of carbs so much. 2 hours later I tested "medium". I'm like the pilot in "Airplane", I'm all over the place. What an asshole. :ROFLMAO:

I don't know if you made me self-conscious with your Keto breath comment, but suddenly my mouth tastes like shit. :ROFLMAO:
Hahaha! Mine was terrible, but I could always tell how deeply in ketosis I was. It also could have been a bad strip, or you could have been more diluted than usual but I'm leaning towards adaptation balance.
That's why a lot of people aren't fond of the strips. They throw people off and aren't particularly accurate. some people like me expell most of their excess through their breath.
What it comes down to is that if you're consuming less than 20-30 Grams of Carbs it's impossible not to be in ketosis to some degree. Most people are in mild ketosis upon awakening every day or after a vigorous workout.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
19 net carbs today guys! I'll be honest not sure if it's keto flu or actual sickness (wife and son both sick) but I feel run down. Exhausted. Tired. Blood pressure is up, etc. BUT I'm happy and proud of myself with the diet so far. That said, haven't had a chance to workout yet as well. Will start adding in yoga (working on my flexibility and balance andnrange of motion, thanks desk job) as soon as I can find the energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
19 net carbs today guys! I'll be honest not sure if it's keto flu or actual sickness (wife and son both sick) but I feel run down. Exhausted. Tired. Blood pressure is up, etc. BUT I'm happy and proud of myself with the diet so far. That said, haven't had a chance to workout yet as well. Will start adding in yoga (working on my flexibility and balance andnrange of motion, thanks desk job) as soon as I can find the energy.

Good job! Possibly could be a combination. Try to do what you can to get your potassium and magnesium balanced.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Via supplements? Etc?

Yeah, supplements, spinach, etc. If you don't have any magnesium supplements in the house, you could take an Epsom salts bath, it's a home remedy of debatable worth, but some claim it helps. try to pick up a magnesium supplement as soon as you can. They're best to take at night, as they make you sleepy. But if you're deficient, some will help.
Lite salt, nu salt, and no-salt are good potassium sources from the spice isle of the grocery store. Potentially you could need 1000 - 3000 MG supplemented , depending on how much you're getting in food.
You don't want too much potassium, but in keto, especially early on,most people get deficient and it causes problems.

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
A small amount of a magnesium based laxative could be something beneficial of you have it handy. Avacado is supposed to be beneficial as well as pickle. Juice. Here are some other things I found in addition to the above @pbibby
Screenshot_2019-01-30-21-40-28.png Screenshot_2019-01-30-21-43-01.png
Screenshot_2019-01-30-21-37-04.png
Screenshot_2019-01-30-21-38-41.png
Screenshot_2019-01-30-21-41-46-1.png
Screenshot_2019-01-30-21-36-31-1.png
Screenshot_2019-01-30-21-44-14.png

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thanks brother. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I'll try upping the potassium for sure.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks brother. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I'll try upping the potassium for sure.

Very welcome man. And I think magnesium is just as critical. As well as salt. Hope all that helps.
I think those covered all the best sources, methods and quantities hopefully.