What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Been testing my ketones several times a day since I got the strips. A couple hours ago, first time I've shown no ketones at all. And I haven't changed anything, still probably under 15g today. Maybe just a fluke, but the strange thing is, I have a massive craving for carbs right now for the first time in weeks. Almost bedtime, I won't give in. Actually Monday will be when I up my carbs to 40-50g a day for a couple weeks before going extreme again for a while.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Been testing my ketones several times a day since I got the strips. A couple hours ago, first time I've shown no ketones at all. And I haven't changed anything, still probably under 15g today. Maybe just a fluke, but the strange thing is, I have a massive craving for carbs right now for the first time in weeks. Almost bedtime, I won't give in. Actually Monday will be when I up my carbs to 40-50g a day for a couple weeks before going extreme again for a while.
Hmmm... Curious. Did you have anything with artificial sweetener that you don't normally have?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Also, update for me. Been good now and moving into the 3rd full week. It's not about the scale for me, per say, but this morning I was 170.2. That's the lowest I've probably been in 5 years. That said, I'm not lifting currently and I expect as I get more into working out that it will come back up. But also, it's the fact that the little donut on my stomach is getting smaller (without working any abs!). And the love handles are smaller as well. I'm excited to kick off some more fitness supplement as well to see if we can really get going on this change. Fun stuff guys. Thanks for the support.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Also, update for me. Been good now and moving into the 3rd full week. It's not about the scale for me, per say, but this morning I was 170.2. That's the lowest I've probably been in 5 years. That said, I'm not lifting currently and I expect as I get more into working out that it will come back up. But also, it's the fact that the little donut on my stomach is getting smaller (without working any abs!). And the love handles are smaller as well. I'm excited to kick off some more fitness supplement as well to see if we can really get going on this change. Fun stuff guys. Thanks for the support.
Nice!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
4 weeks in today, still just under 200lbs (hardly any weight loss this week) Glucose numbers are still good and getting better slowly, im really starting to get cravings, would kill for a meat ball sandwich of all things lol, im dreaming about them.
Finding it quite easy to keep decent numbers, no problems on the carbs at all, have to push myself to get enough cals and fat

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
4 weeks in today, still just under 200lbs (hardly any weight loss this week) Glucose numbers are still good and getting better slowly, im really starting to get cravings, would kill for a meat ball sandwich of all things lol, im dreaming about them.
Finding it quite easy to keep decent numbers, no problems on the carbs at all, have to push myself to get enough cals and fat
Sounds about right, I think we've all hit the "adaptation Plateau" about 4 weeks in. It's just your body adjusting, usually followed by a little extra weight drop. (y)

Glad to hear the numbers improving!

Haha, cravings will pass, but go ahead and make yourself some meatballs, marinara and mozzarella! Take the edge off that desire. Maybe even with one of the keto bread recipes for the full experience, (https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/8jx723/keto_cheesy_garlic_bread/?utm_source=reddit android
Rao's marinara sauce is usually pretty low in sugar. And there may be several other options at the store. Just have to check the labels and not go too heavy on the portions.

No reason to push to "try" to get your fat numbers up. It's the most flexible macro, and being low on it is good if you want to lose.

They say it is best not to have more than a 20-25% caloric deficit to maintain metabolism. But metabolism can be rebuilt by slowly adding calories back incrementally once goals are reached. (instead of just binging and going back to the prior way of eating) ( though I don't plan on ever fully going back to my old way of eating.....)

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Ok, a couple hours in and finally at the end. Great read! Thanks Jeremy for doing all this research and being our resident guru.
I have toyed with the idea of this for a while and my wife mentioned yesterday that she was thinking about it. I told her i would jump in with her. Easier that way i think.
I am probably along the same lines as @pbibby about being lazy. I have a fairly active job (deliver appliances for a living) and hit the gym for light cardio about 3 days a week. (The light cardio is pushing it for me. Just do not have the energy.)
Anyway, i am 6'3" and currently 291. At best when i was trying to lose weight for sleep apnea reasons, i got to 287. I am the kind of guy that nobody expects to be pushing 300 lbs. My arms and legs are very solid. The dreaded dad bod is my downfall.
I have found that mental clarity, energy and overall enthusiasm for anything has been declining for a while now. This may be exactly what i need.
So, a question, lately a lot of you are talking about testing ketone levels. Is this necessary? If you are keeping in range, is that enough?
Also, this is gonna be difficult, as i am not a veggie type person. And avacado is the last thing i want anywhere near me. I know it is possible, and you guys are very inspirational.
Keep the posts coming, and as soon as we get started i will become more active in this thread, i am sure.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Ok, a couple hours in and finally at the end. Great read! Thanks Jeremy for doing all this research and being our resident guru.
I have toyed with the idea of this for a while and my wife mentioned yesterday that she was thinking about it. I told her i would jump in with her. Easier that way i think.
I am probably along the same lines as @pbibby about being lazy. I have a fairly active job (deliver appliances for a living) and hit the gym for light cardio about 3 days a week. (The light cardio is pushing it for me. Just do not have the energy.)
Anyway, i am 6'3" and currently 291. At best when i was trying to lose weight for sleep apnea reasons, i got to 287. I am the kind of guy that nobody expects to be pushing 300 lbs. My arms and legs are very solid. The dreaded dad bod is my downfall.
I have found that mental clarity, energy and overall enthusiasm for anything has been declining for a while now. This may be exactly what i need.
So, a question, lately a lot of you are talking about testing ketone levels. Is this necessary? If you are keeping in range, is that enough?
Also, this is gonna be difficult, as i am not a veggie type person. And avacado is the last thing i want anywhere near me. I know it is possible, and you guys are very inspirational.
Keep the posts coming, and as soon as we get started i will become more active in this thread, i am sure.
Nice! Glad to hear it. I think you'll love it Eran.

Testing levels isn't necessary at all. But some people just like to see the proof. I haven't bothered.
If someone is under 20 Grams of Carbs per day (likely 30-40 in your case) they will be in deep ketosis, period.

Haha, avacado isn't a requirement, Mick doesn't eat it, my wife can't have it, and I've probably only had it twice in the last 4 months.
Doing this you will probably find some vegetable preparations you love though. The Brussels and onions in bacon grease are bangin! And I never would have thought it long ago, but once you start eating good salads with good ingredients you start to crave them. (nothing like the crappy salads most places serve)

But dude, make the "crack chicken" for real..... :hungry:

I hope you've found everything you need to get going in the earlier posts, but don't hesitate to ask any questions you have.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Nice! Glad to hear it. I think you'll love it Eran.

Testing levels isn't necessary at all. But some people just like to see the proof. I haven't bothered.
If someone is under 20 Grams of Carbs per day (likely 30-40 in your case) they will be in deep ketosis, period.

Haha, avacado isn't a requirement, Mick doesn't eat it, my wife can't have it, and I've probably only had it twice in the last 4 months.
Doing this you will probably find some vegetable preparations you love though. The Brussels and onions in bacon grease are bangin! And I never would have thought it long ago, but once you start eating good salads with good ingredients you start to crave them. (nothing like the crappy salads most places serve)

But dude, make the "crack chicken" for real..... :hungry:

I hope you've found everything you need to get going in the earlier posts, but don't hesitate to ask any questions you have.
Thanks, man. I do like a good salad, and the fact that ranch dressing is ok, makes it easier. We used to do a salad night at home. Just grill some chicken to top it off and bam, dinner in a bowl.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Made spaghetti with zoodles yesterday. Not bad at all! Was really surprised

Breakfast was cheese eggs with broccoli, sausage from a friend's heritage hog (so good) and Preachers Paleo Biscuit recipe he found. Don't think I did the biscuits quite right, but they were still delicious. Think I'm gonna play around with the recipe and process.
20190215_122342.jpg (would'a been more on the plate, but I was grazing while I was cooking)

Lunch was a protein shake, and dinner was a little ground beef with red sauce, peppers and onions. (was really still full from breakfast and the shake)

I've been eating all my food usually in a 6-8 hour window of the day as part of an intermittent fasting technique. Helps speed the weightloss and has a lot of other health benefits.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
My family wanted to make individual, create your own pizzas using pita bread for dinner. I made mine with a couple eggs with broken yokes in a cast iron skillet, topped with grated Mozzarella, Cheddar, Asiago, chopped up chicken breast and a few diced cherry tomatoes, finished under the broiler until cheese was melted and started to crisp, finished with avocado. Turned out awesome

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Going live tomorrow...
The nerves are kicking in, just for the shear fact of it not being anything i am used to. But we found some great recipes.
No worries! You'll be fine. I know you can do it. It's honestly really easy. Just be sure to be getting in your water and electrolytes. If you have any carb cravings, they'll pass in a few days for the most part.
The keto bread recipes are nice the first couple of weeks, but you get to where they're not all that important.
If me and some of the other brothers who are doing it can, anyone can.