What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I’m at 5 weeks of pretty strict, clean Keto and have lost about 18lbs. I rejoined my gym at work a couple weeks ago and have been getting in about an hour of cardio/body weight exercise 5 days a week. Also been doing push-ups every morning since the new year and am now doing about 120 a day. I feel awesome and have moved down 2 holes on my belts. I’ve added a protein shake in the afternoon after a work out and include a scoop of Green Food powder. Good stuff.

Eating a Keto diet is different than every other calorie-restricting diet because you never really feel hungry. I don’t really track my macros but the few times I did I was always below my calories and carbs. I have Bullet proof coffee in the morning, a great salad with plenty of green veggies, chicken/steak/tuna, maybe a hard boiled egg, sometimes half an avocado, walnuts/pecans, cheese, topped with Olive oil and vinegar. It’s very filling and satisfying and gets me through to dinner.

Dinner is more of a challenge. My wife and daughters are vegetarians and eat tons of pasta, rice, beans, and potatoes, along with lots for fresh veggies and salads. It’s taken them a while to accept me not eating all the high Carb stuff, just the veggies and salads. I typically roast a whole chicken and grill a couple steaks on Sundays and use it throughout the week to add to my dinners.

Also, I make a pot of chicken broth every week from the leftover chicken bones. I make it nice and salty and typically have a cup in the afternoon, really helped with Keto flu symptoms. I started supplementing with potassium and magnesium as well. There are lots of recipes out there for “ketoade” that help you get enough electrolytes.

Oh yeah, and I don’t mention Keto to anyone. Most people thinks it’s crazy and unhealthy and aren’t afraid to tell you. My desk at work is in an open office pod setting and there’s a constant supply of donuts and chocolate being brought in to share. I now have zero cravings for it, but I find it amusing to watch some of the morbidly obese folks talk about how they have to go on a diet as they shove another Krispy Kream into their face!

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Trust me when I say if I can do it anyone can. I'll also reiterate the fact that you are not really hungry unlike other calorie restrictive diets. I am about 3 weeks in. Down 10lbs. I love the keto bread. The 90 second one with some avacado is a staple breakfast for me and I'm barely hungry come noon. Also, I picked up so sugar free raspberry flavor keto friendly electrolyte mix from Amazon and it helped my keto flu big time. You can do it brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I’m at 5 weeks of pretty strict, clean Keto and have lost about 18lbs. I rejoined my gym at work a couple weeks ago and have been getting in about an hour of cardio/body weight exercise 5 days a week. Also been doing push-ups every morning since the new year and am now doing about 120 a day. I feel awesome and have moved down 2 holes on my belts. I’ve added a protein shake in the afternoon after a work out and include a scoop of Green Food powder. Good stuff.

Eating a Keto diet is different than every other calorie-restricting diet because you never really feel hungry. I don’t really track my macros but the few times I did I was always below my calories and carbs. I have Bullet proof coffee in the morning, a great salad with plenty of green veggies, chicken/steak/tuna, maybe a hard boiled egg, sometimes half an avocado, walnuts/pecans, cheese, topped with Olive oil and vinegar. It’s very filling and satisfying and gets me through to dinner.

Dinner is more of a challenge. My wife and daughters are vegetarians and eat tons of pasta, rice, beans, and potatoes, along with lots for fresh veggies and salads. It’s taken them a while to accept me not eating all the high Carb stuff, just the veggies and salads. I typically roast a whole chicken and grill a couple steaks on Sundays and use it throughout the week to add to my dinners.

Also, I make a pot of chicken broth every week from the leftover chicken bones. I make it nice and salty and typically have a cup in the afternoon, really helped with Keto flu symptoms. I started supplementing with potassium and magnesium as well. There are lots of recipes out there for “ketoade” that help you get enough electrolytes.

Oh yeah, and I don’t mention Keto to anyone. Most people thinks it’s crazy and unhealthy and aren’t afraid to tell you. My desk at work is in an open office pod setting and there’s a constant supply of donuts and chocolate being brought in to share. I now have zero cravings for it, but I find it amusing to watch some of the morbidly obese folks talk about how they have to go on a diet as they shove another Krispy Kream into their face!
That's Fantastic man!

Really great post Shawn. Perfect synopsis.

The cognitive dissonance is staggering.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Ok, so, 1st day down. Feeling better about this whole thing. I typically do not eat breakfast on Sunday, so that was a cup of coffee with heavy cream and a piece os string cheese.
Lunch was keto cresent dogs. Those will probably be a pass next time. Was able to choke a couple down with mustard, but were filling.
Snack of a few pork rinds (love this part, my wife hates it. Lol)
Then dinner... must say, i never in my life would have expected to eat anything like this, but it was do delicious and fullfilling.
Broccoli chicken zuchini boats. Holy crap, if you have not tried this one, do it! Found on one of Jeremys links from page 1.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My first time cheating today, went for breakfast with a buddy before launching his boat for a days fishing, o ordered what i thought was just corned beef hash and eggs but it came with hash brown potatoes, couldnt resist, had to have a few mouthfulls, my buddy finished them off, first slip up in nearly 5 weeks so im not sweating it.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Ok, so, 1st day down. Feeling better about this whole thing. I typically do not eat breakfast on Sunday, so that was a cup of coffee with heavy cream and a piece os string cheese.
Lunch was keto cresent dogs. Those will probably be a pass next time. Was able to choke a couple down with mustard, but were filling.
Snack of a few pork rinds (love this part, my wife hates it. Lol)
Then dinner... must say, i never in my life would have expected to eat anything like this, but it was do delicious and fullfilling.
Broccoli chicken zuchini boats. Holy crap, if you have not tried this one, do it! Found on one of Jeremys links from page 1.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That looks amazing Eran!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Still shocked at what a great substitute zucchini noodles make for spaghetti. So good.
View attachment 131515
View attachment 131516
I think we need to get one of those zoodle maker thingies. Would make for a great side dish. Zoodles with butter and parm.
Btw, my wife is doing this with me so the portions shown are not just for me. She is also keeping track of my numbers since i would have already given up on that part. She is also watching this page from a nonmember status. Say hi to Rachel!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I think we need to get one of those zoodle maker thingies. Would make for a great side dish. Zoodles with butter and parm.
Btw, my wife is doing this with me so the portions shown are not just for me. She is also keeping track of my numbers since i would have already given up on that part. She is also watching this page from a nonmember status. Say hi to Rachel!
Oh for sure! I think I'll do that as a side the next time I do Italian sausage and white sauce... :hungry:

That's a big help! Hi Rachel! Hope this thread is really helpful!

Keeping track can be really beneficial for some, and for some people it's critical for progress.
I only did it for the first couple of weeks to get a handle on what average items and portion sizes came up to, calorie and macro wise. If I were to stall for more than a week, I'd buckle down on it.
Really haven't had to as the way of eating is so filling that I'm staying well under recommendations. A lot of days I'm probably under ideal for calories.
Y'all know that the first couple of weeks you may drop a lot of excess water weight, right? (why you need to drink lots of extra water and get more salt and potassium) the weightloss will slow and even out after that. 1 - 2 lbs per week is average. Some people get more, some less. And it will vary week to week.
And expect the adaptation Plateau around 4 - 6 weeks, you'll go a week or 10 days with no loss on the scale. Though you still may see it in clothes fit.
Some times the scale number won't change but the measurements still will.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Oh for sure! I think I'll do that as a side the next time I do Italian sausage and white sauce... :hungry:

That's a big help! Hi Rachel! Hope this thread is really helpful!

Keeping track can be really beneficial for some, and for some people it's critical for progress.
I only did it for the first couple of weeks to get a handle on what average items and portion sizes came up to, calorie and macro wise. If I were to stall for more than a week, I'd buckle down on it.
Really haven't had to as the way of eating is so filling that I'm staying well under recommendations. A lot of days I'm probably under ideal for calories.
Y'all know that the first couple of weeks you may drop a lot of excess water weight, right? (why you need to drink lots of extra water and get more salt and potassium) the weightloss will slow and even out after that. 1 - 2 lbs per week is average. Some people get more, some less. And it will vary week to week.
And expect the adaptation Plateau around 4 - 6 weeks, you'll go a week or 10 days with no loss on the scale. Though you still may see it in clothes fit.
Some times the scale number won't change but the measurements still will.
Itallion sausage and white sauce? Hell yeah, need that recipe.
As for metrics, i was under today, and by the looks of the wifes plan, i should be tomorrow as well. And it already looks like a shit ton of food to me. I think i need to look at carbs though. She has everything i plan on eating for tomorrow written down and i show about 3 carbs? Fat and protein were closer to target though.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Itallion sausage and white sauce? Hell yeah, need that recipe.
As for metrics, i was under today, and by the looks of the wifes plan, i should be tomorrow as well. And it already looks like a shit ton of food to me. I think i need to look at carbs though. She has everything i plan on eating for tomorrow written down and i show about 3 carbs? Fat and protein were closer to target though.
Well, there's a couple of factors there, it's only net carbs that are relevant to you, fiber carbs don't count.

But also, my fitness pal items are often user submitted, so some are very wrong, if an item doesn't look right, you can always Google it to double check

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Here's a maybe stupid question. One thing I have not done yet and maybe need to more, is pay attention to where my fats are coming from. Basically I have only been paying the to net carbs. Most of the time I'm getting equal fat grams and protein grams or there abouts. Thoughts on this in general?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Here's a maybe stupid question. One thing I have not done yet and maybe need to more, is pay attention to where my fats are coming from. Basically I have only been paying the to net carbs. Most of the time I'm getting equal fat grams and protein grams or there abouts. Thoughts on this in general?

I believe I read that fat has about triple the calories of protein. So if you're getting equal amounts, it comes out to a nearly ideal 70/30 split.

Though, if you go over 3 weeks without losing weight, and your calories aren't way over, the fat is the place I would cut.

As far as sources, animal fats and healthy vegetable fats are ideal.

Olive and coconut oil for cooking and added to things.
Peanut oil for frying.

Avoid canola and all those other manipulated seed oils.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I can promise you there have not been any manipulated seed oils or anything like that. All is coming from the food I eat. Eggs, meat, dairy # olive oil, avacado, etc. But that makes sense on the weight portion. That said I'm about 5 lbs from my goal so shouldn't be too much longer. But OK. Thanks for that.

My nurse (in grad school for her masters) wife is getting a bit worried as she's studying fat and heart health, clogged arteries, etc. Haha.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I can promise you there have not been any manipulated seed oils or anything like that. All is coming from the food I eat. Eggs, meat, dairy # olive oil, avacado, etc. But that makes sense on the weight portion. That said I'm about 5 lbs from my goal so shouldn't be too much longer. But OK. Thanks for that.

My nurse (in grad school for her masters) wife is getting a bit worried as she's studying fat and heart health, clogged arteries, etc. Haha.

Oi vey. If she's studying heart health and is worried about the fats, then they're teaching her information that's over 20 years old and waaaay behind the current science.

Arterial damage, likely from inflammation caused by sugar, leads to the calcification that creates the plaque that combines with very small particle ldl that leads to clogs.

Have her look at this - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext

As well as the farmingham study.

Have her check out this DeLauer video and check out the supporting links in its description.

Last edited: