What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Haha, if you have one around...

Higher than normal quality fast food, and way ahead of the game on low-carb options
We don't have them anywhere near me Jeremy, closest one is 23 miles away.

I knew they had some super high fat options, wasn't aware of the low carbs. :D

Ketones were all over the map on my 4 or so tests yesterday. Showing no excess in the AM, up to high in the evening. Also did a 20 hour fast on Monday, trying to kickstart the road for losing these last little bacon slabs on my sides. :ROFLMAO:

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I've heard that, but more often I've read that you can subtract them entirely.
I think the discrepancy is due to the fact that some peoples bodies react to them differently.
While they're not metabolized and stored as fat like normal sugar, they do have a differing insulin response depending on the individual.
For some people just the taste of sweetness can spike insulin, and some people will get a higher spike than others from the sugar alcohols.
Not a huge deal either way, but something to be aware of.

Doing all of my eating in a 6 - 10 hour window of the day, with no snacking before or after, has really helped me keep the weight loss going at a fast rate, and kept extended periods of low insulin helping me to feel great.
Personally, I steer clear of artificial sweeteners. I think they just reinforce cravings and they’re just not good for you. These bars contain Maltitol, made from hydrogenated Maltose. Anything hydrogenated, like margarine, should be avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CopusolerX

Probably spent over .25m on cigars in my life
Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR - if you cut out sugar and bread, you will lose a lot of weight fast and feel amazingly better.
No heartburn, fewer headaches, more energy, less hunger.

Americans are BIG. We as Cigar smokers in general are even bigger.

This leads to tons of health and quality of life issues, many of which we're not even fully aware of till we're no longer dealing with them.

Huge numbers of Americans are pre-diabetic and don't even know it yet. And many are already on insulin.

But many have been able to improve or even reverse these dangerous problems , just with this way of eating.

I knew my heartburn was bad, but I thought it was just normal and probably genetic...

Same for my regular headaches and migraines.

Didn't think there was much to be done for my arthritis other than taking ibuprofen...

And had no idea that there was a simple food change that could fix my blood sugar problems and constant need to snack.

This is just a few examples of dozens of problems that have been easily remedied for thousands of people by switching to some form of, or something similar to, a Ketogenic or very low carb, form of eating.

Probably the most amazing benefit being the slowing and even stopping the growth and spread of many types of cancers!
No shit. (Many cancer cells metabolize sugar at 200 % the rate of other types of cells. By cutting out sugar you can essentially starve the cancer cells in many cases.)

Intellectualy we all know that eating less, and eating healthier will makes us feel better and lose weight, but for some reason it's just not enough. It's hard for people to stick to, results are slow to see, and despite knowing it, you don't see people's situations improving.

It was a comment somewhere on this board some time back that initially sparked my interest, but finally getting fed up with increasing weight and health problems made me look into it seriously late last year.

I started going low carb sometime in October 18 and went full keto Nov. 21. The health improvements have been amazing.

Ive lost 25 pounds in just a few months, have nearly completely eliminated my heartburn and reflux. (down from a cycle of prilosec every other month and pepcid or tums almost daily.)

I haven't felt arthritis since I started this. :eek:

The craziest thing is the lack of hunger and cravings. Not needing to constantly eat and snack is so... , I dunno, freeing.

Not getting strained when bending over to tie your shoes is just so damn relieving.

Being able to see your feet, or... , whatever when you look down, is, nice..

And not having a belly in the way really improves "sexy time" (TM @bwhite220)

There's several of us

Seems as you're willing, you probably won't. Ask to get your Calcium Score check with your physician related to heart. Easy 10 minutes through the CT. Help you know that it's working for you an not against. Good luck.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Seems as you're willing, you probably won't. Ask to get your Calcium Score check with your physician related to heart. Easy 10 minutes through the CT. Help you know that it's working for you an not against. Good luck.
I.. Uh.. Um.. OK? :cautious: o_O :bored:

Not totally following you there, but you're right,

Probably not necessary for me at my age and health, and having made the necessary dietary changes..

But from what I've been studying lately a CAC test is the best marker for cardiac and stroke risk. Far more relevant than cholesterol numbers.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Is there such thing as too much protein on a Keto diet? Or are we just going to "simplify" this and say no matter what low carb? I've been doing some reading and come across one that mentioned too much protein is bad. IDK. Was just curious.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Is there such thing as too much protein on a Keto diet? Or are we just going to "simplify" this and say no matter what low carb? I've been doing some reading and come across one that mentioned too much protein is bad. IDK. Was just curious.
There was a mistaken belief that still persists that too much protein will be converted into glucose and kick you out of ketosis. This has been found to be untrue (the body does make glycogen from protein but it is a factor of the bodies demand, not supply of protein)
The people who continue to spread that are working on old incorrect data.

Too much protein could be difficult for the body to process, but that would be an excessively high amount, like 2 + Grams per total pound of Bodyweight, per day, for someone who isn't exercising.
The ideal range is approximately one gram per pound of Bodyweight.

Or more specifically, .8 - 1.2 gram per pound of lean body mass, (total weight minus percent of body fat)
Depending on Excercise level.

CopusolerX

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I.. Uh.. Um.. OK? :cautious: o_O :bored:

Not totally following you there, but you're right,

Probably not necessary for me at my age and health, and having made the necessary dietary changes..

But from what I've been studying lately a CAC test is the best marker for cardiac and stroke risk. Far more relevant than cholesterol numbers.

Calcium Scoring is king. Tell if zero or any plaque build up in the heart artery. OSU (OHIO) landed a huge doj grant to study keto vs calcium scoring. (inside info).

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Calcium Scoring is king. Tell if zero or any plaque build up in the heart artery. OSU (OHIO) landed a huge doj grant to study keto vs calcium scoring. (inside info).
"keto VS calcium scoring" is not a thing.

One is a way of eating, the other is a medical test to determine problems.

Keto, or not eating carbs, likely will prevent the arterial damage that causes the plaque buildup and calcification that is the problem.

CAC VS a lipid panel would be a thing, both somewhat useful, but CAC a better predictor of potential issues.

CopusolerX

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"keto VS calcium scoring" is not a thing.

One is a way of eating, the other is a medical test to determine problems.

Keto, or not eating carbs, likely will prevent the arterial damage that causes the plaque buildup and calcification that is the problem.

CAC VS a lipid panel would be a thing, both somewhat useful, but CAC a better predictor of potential issues.
world expert vs internet researcher. i tired.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
world expert vs internet researcher. i tired.
Okay, I'm wading in here.

You've got 18 messages on this board in total. Being condescending in some of those first 20 messages is probably not the best way to introduce yourself to this community. I don't think anyone is being too combative here. One message asked you to clarify. In the message that you just slagged off, he even says that a CAC is a better predictor of issues (thereby giving you credit).

My suggestion would be let's get back to the regularly scheduled programs on this thread.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Sooooo.... Anyway....

Picked up some hemp hearts and Chia seeds yesterday.

Thinking about trying the "noatmeal"

And probably gonna experiment with making some homemade snack/protein /"granola" bars...

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
So rough. I feel so bad for you..

Dr. Berry told Tom Bileyeu "I keep waiting to get tired of eating all this ribeye.. It hasn't happened yet" . ;)
Exactly.

I have been eating pretty much the same 3 meals a day for weeks, and I'm not even close to sick of any of it yet.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Exactly.

I have been eating pretty much the same 3 meals a day for weeks, and I'm not even close to sick of any of it yet.
I'm getting in a good amount of variety, but a lots of things are getting a getting a lot of repeats yet not getting old.
Just made the second chicken soup batch this week. Fantastic.
Eggs and bacon earlier.
Protein shake with peanut butter.
Lots of great salads lately.
And been seriously putting down some homemade yogurt.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Not that it's the "be all, end all" marker, but I have been testing in the high free ketones the last 24 hours, after a 21 hour fast starting yesterday. Bacon and eggs busted the fast, but I'm still in the "black".