What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Here's a question. I'm out of weight loss mode and into maintenance mode. By eating some carbs, and I negating all positive effects of the keto diet? Or another way to ask would be we know that fat and protein is not bad for you but are they bad for you if you are eating carbs (some not much) along with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
After being on keto for a month i had dropped from 292 to 272. A bunch of family crap came up and the diet went ou the window for a month. In that time it was full on cheat. Started back to keto last monday and weighed in to see how bad it really was. I only gained back 6lbs in that month of real shitty eating. Back on track and already down below where i left off. 270 as of saturday morning.
Individual results will vary, but i would say that some carbs should not kill the effects if you stick with the healthier eating.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Here's a question. I'm out of weight loss mode and into maintenance mode. By eating some carbs, and I negating all positive effects of the keto diet? Or another way to ask would be we know that fat and protein is not bad for you but are they bad for you if you are eating carbs (some not much) along with them.
You'll probably have to pay close attention and see how it treats you.
I think what matters is what type, and how much. I'm still staying pretty much keto, even though I'm below goal and doing hard manual labor all day right now. My carb intake has gone up a bit, but primarily in healthier things like beans, sweet potatoes, fruit, etc. I'm allowing myself just a little more grains (though not much wheat) and that hasn't brought on the afternoon lethargy and other problems I had before.

I've heard it said that you can have fat, or you can have sugar, but you don't often want to consume them together.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I'm jonesin' for a couple corn tortillas. The only real carbs I've added have been berries, and that's only been a couple times. Looks like corn tortillas are gluten free so long as they're made with no cross contamination, and about 12 net carbs each. I figure I can have a couple tacos one day, then a couple enchiladas another day.

Now, pizza...… ;):ROFLMAO:

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'm jonesin' for a couple corn tortillas. The only real carbs I've added have been berries, and that's only been a couple times. Looks like corn tortillas are gluten free so long as they're made with no cross contamination, and about 12 net carbs each. I figure I can have a couple tacos one day, then a couple enchiladas another day.

Now, pizza...… ;):ROFLMAO:
Dude, we made chicken enchiladas the other day without the tortillas. Kind of like a casserole. Hit the spot and still tasted awesome.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Ok, did a little experiment. Last week I took my daughter on a visit to 5 colleges over a 6 day period. We hit up Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston. I let her pick the restaurants and I vowed not to let Keto influence anything. I drank beer, ate fries and hash browns, a pile of sushi with rice, plenty of Mexican, including beans/rice/tortilla chips, several burgers with buns, even had some desserts and some fruit. Didn’t work out except for lots of walking. I continued intermittent fasting by not eating till noon. Never felt like crap, or bloated. Got home after 6 days and I didn’t put on a pound. I believe that being fully fat adapted that my metabolism is able to switch effectively between carbs and fat. I’m back to mostly a keto diet and as of this morning I’m down another 2 pounds. I’m not trying to lose anymore weight, so once I get back to lifting weight loss should stop.

So, if your stressing about a few tortilla chips, don’t!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Very cool, @Xavier Dredo , I like hearing things like this.

I have added fruit back into my diet, a couple servings a day, so far its included several types of berries, pineapple and a little melon.

It will get tested further next week when I get out of town for a few days. I will definitely be eating corn tortillas, as fish and other tacos will definitely be consumed, and likely a dessert or two as well. I don't lift when I go on these short trips, but may do a little cardio if the equipment is decent.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Ok, did a little experiment. Last week I took my daughter on a visit to 5 colleges over a 6 day period. We hit up Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston. I let her pick the restaurants and I vowed not to let Keto influence anything. I drank beer, ate fries and hash browns, a pile of sushi with rice, plenty of Mexican, including beans/rice/tortilla chips, several burgers with buns, even had some desserts and some fruit. Didn’t work out except for lots of walking. I continued intermittent fasting by not eating till noon. Never felt like crap, or bloated. Got home after 6 days and I didn’t put on a pound. I believe that being fully fat adapted that my metabolism is able to switch effectively between carbs and fat. I’m back to mostly a keto diet and as of this morning I’m down another 2 pounds. I’m not trying to lose anymore weight, so once I get back to lifting weight loss should stop.

So, if your stressing about a few tortilla chips, don’t!
Nice! Similar situation for me. I've been much less strict and actually still losing weight though I'm not trying to at all. Twice though I've eaten a hamburger with the bun (unintentionally really) and paid for it with soreness / aches later and the next day. Wheat and my body just don't get along. Corn doesn't seem to bother me.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Nice! Similar situation for me. I've been much less strict and actually still losing weight though I'm not trying to at all. Twice though I've eaten a hamburger with the bun (unintentionally really) and paid for it with soreness / aches later and the next day. Wheat and my body just don't get along. Corn doesn't seem to bother me.
I'm also in a similar situation it seems. Far less strict, but still not putting on weight.

Only thing for me is I'll wake up in the middle of the night with the carb sweats if I over do it. Haha

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Nice, Jeremy!

So I've stopped testing for ketone levels, I went about 10 days showing 0 to low. Hadn't changed much, I figure like Jeremy said, my body has become more efficient utilizing fat for energy and I just don't have a lot of free ketones. Proof is in the mirror, the way the pants fit. Energy, less inflammation.

Been wearing Levis 34 relaxed fit jeans forever. Actually had one time I bought some 36s, but they were too big even with the 34s being snug. Today I went and bought 33 in a regular cut, and they still don't feel tight.

Added the fruit into the diet about 10(?) days ago, but don't go overboard, servings are pretty small and it's mostly berries , though I've had some apricots and stuff. Had tortillas the one time, but I know I'll be having some Mexican this coming weekend, and probably a few beers too. Just doesn't seem to affect me negatively so I'm going to keep adding some carbs until I figure out what is perfect and what is too much.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Nice, Jeremy!

So I've stopped testing for ketone levels, I went about 10 days showing 0 to low. Hadn't changed much, I figure like Jeremy said, my body has become more efficient utilizing fat for energy and I just don't have a lot of free ketones. Proof is in the mirror, the way the pants fit. Energy, less inflammation.

Been wearing Levis 34 relaxed fit jeans forever. Actually had one time I bought some 36s, but they were too big even with the 34s being snug. Today I went and bought 33 in a regular cut, and they still don't feel tight.

Added the fruit into the diet about 10(?) days ago, but don't go overboard, servings are pretty small and it's mostly berries , though I've had some apricots and stuff. Had tortillas the one time, but I know I'll be having some Mexican this coming weekend, and probably a few beers too. Just doesn't seem to affect me negatively so I'm going to keep adding some carbs until I figure out what is perfect and what is too much.
Dude!!!

How awesome is that feeling???? Just last weekend I needed to go get new dress pants! I've been a 34 inch waist for about 5 years now. Right before that I was in the same boat and even had some size 36. Last weekend I went to Banana Republic (which is way more high fashion and form fitting than what I normally wear) and bought 32 inch waist dress pants. I legit was in the dressing room thinking "man this is awesome". Happy for you brother!!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Dude!!!

How awesome is that feeling???? Just last weekend I needed to go get new dress pants! I've been a 34 inch waist for about 5 years now. Right before that I was in the same boat and even had some size 36. Last weekend I went to Banana Republic (which is way more high fashion and form fitting than what I normally wear) and bought 32 inch waist dress pants. I legit was in the dressing room thinking "man this is awesome". Happy for you brother!!
You too, Paul, that is awesome!