What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Hey y'all - I'm trying out a new drink mix/system called Cirkul - it's an easy alternative to the 'Mio' type mixes. The thing comes with a plastic bottle (you can pay extra for a metal bottle - I probably will if they're good), and the mixes are a cartridge that you screw on in the cap. It looks interesting because you can adjust the strength of the mix using the cap, and you don't have to worry with powders or drops. There are some flavors that use Sucralose, but a few use Stevia and some are unsweetened. I'll let you guys know when I get mine and how they taste.

http://drinkcirkul.refr.cc/nathanwilkerson
Full disclosure: if 5 people sign up for a trial using that link, I get $5 off my next order.

https://drinkcirkul.com/
Seems pretty expensive compared to the squeeze bottle flavorers like Crystal Light. Be curious to hear how it compares, but at that price ( .62 to flavor each bottle), I am unlikely to switch.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Haven't ever really gotten into the water flavorings, but I've noticed people have a lot of different uses for the mio ones.

Though I noticed in the ingredients once that some had propeleyne glycol in them..
I'm not drinking that!

I have been drinking some "recharge" packets to keep sure I'm keeping my electrolytes up.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
You guys ever tried these shirataki noodles?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nasoya-Pasta-Zero-Shirataki-Spaghetti-8-oz-Bag/33141085

My wife loves pasta and these work...if not entirely the same as wheat....close.
We've tossed them in a couple dinners to good success.
No. Not yet. The ones my grocery store carries are really expensive and preserved in liquid. Didn't seem worth the trouble compared to spaghetti squash, zoodles or cheese noodles.

But if I find some like that, Ill give them a try for sure.

That "dreamfields" pasta is a scam. It's not really low carb or low gi at all.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Whoops, wife sent me this:

NO MORE SPAGHETTI SQUASH

It is NOT Keto friendly. In 1 cup, there are 8g of net carbs. No freakin way. Neither is Alfredo sauce. With all the dairy, it’s got too much and pushing me over my carb macro.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Whoops, wife sent me this:

NO MORE SPAGHETTI SQUASH

It is NOT Keto friendly. In 1 cup, there are 8g of net carbs. No freakin way. Neither is Alfredo sauce. With all the dairy, it’s got too much and pushing me over my carb macro.
For most of y'all reading this, it's good to be aware of, but it's not a deal breaker.
Still vastly lower carb than pasta, and being bigger guys most of us will be able to go a bit over 20 Grams and stay in ketosis no problem. (I can go to nearly 50, not everyone can)
Even still, can keep the portion down to 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup. And there are some good Alfredos that are low carb. Bertolli is one.

And homemade Alfredo can be made with heavy cream to keep it low carb.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Made sugar free Keto Yogurt last night!

Used fairlife milk mixed with some heavy cream.

Came out with zero yogurt "twang", which is fine for us, but if you want twang, you may have to use some regular whole milk, a twangier starter, or let it incubate longer.

Made 2 small batches, using "yq" as starter for one and "two good" as started for the other.

Let the starter and the milk/cream come up to room temperature separately for 1.5 hours, then mixed together.

Left the containers in the dehydrator overnight set to about 112°

Some people who don't have a dehydrator or instant pot, warm up their oven to 150-170 turn it off, and put the yogurt containers in it overnight with the light on.

Another option is to put jars of yogurt mix in a cooler and pour boiling water in up to about 2/3 the height of the jar.

Can flavor with protein powder, vanilla, cinnamon, berries, or sugar free syrup, when you go to eat it.

:D

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apparently first rule of Keto is tell the person you’re ordering food from at a restaurant all about your Keto diet. I’m hearing it many times per day at work. It’s all good though, any diet that promotes eating fatty meats is up my alley.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Apparently first rule of Keto is tell the person you’re ordering food from at a restaurant all about your Keto diet. I’m hearing it many times per day at work. It’s all good though, any diet that promotes eating fatty meats is up my alley.
Hahaha! Right!

It's hard not to talk about, cause it's so amazing.

You keep eating meals that are so damn good, that you feel like, damn, "I shouldn't be able to eat this on a diet!"

Yet you're losing weight weight and feeling a hundred times better than you're used to.

Who would have thought that the baked potato and rolls were the problem, not the porterhouse and cheesy stuff!

We've been told the completely wrong nutrition advice our entire lives.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
What's the best way to make cauliflower anything (rice, mashed, dough, etc) not taste like cauliflower?

Throw a ton of seasoning into it?

Or just deal with it because it is what it is?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
What's the best way to make cauliflower anything (rice, mashed, dough, etc) not taste like cauliflower?

Throw a ton of seasoning into it?

Or just deal with it because it is what it is?
Squeeze the water out. Season well. It will still retain some of the flavor. But enough cheese, butter, sour cream and chives tends to cover it up a good bit.

Turnips are another great starch substitute. Just choose smaller ones and peel deeply to get off most of the outer rind to get rid of the bitterness.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
That’s the recipe I used. Riced the cauliflower in a food processor, microwaved it for 5 minutes, mixed and microwaved for another 4. Then wring our the water in a clean dish towel. A ton of water came out. I used olive oil instead of canola. The almond flour I used wasn’t super fine, so I used 1 cup almond and 1/2 cup coconut flour. The bread has a nice texture, more like banana bread than regular bread. Pretty savory. Next time I may include some Parmesan cheese and herbs. Crumbed bacon would work well too.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
BTW, I’m down 5.5 pounds since Monday. I suspect most of that is water weight, but I’m drinking tons of water and haven’t been hungry one bit. I’ve been drinking bulletproof coffee every morning for about a month now and not really eating until noon. I’m up to 2 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp MCT Oil now. I had my last real carbs a week ago Friday ( au gratin potatoes) and felt like shit for three days, and now I feel awesome.