What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Greeeeat little snack item.
20190123_101248-1.jpg
Take pearl mozzarella, marinate in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Italian herbs and seasonings. Play around with the exact herbs, seasonings and amounts till you get it just right.

So Flippin good!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Disregarding this videos basis on time restricted eating, it is probably the best laid out explanation I've seen on hunger (or lack of it), the effects of insulin, the importance of salt, and what happens with glucose and the impact of hormones. Very, very enlightening.
Can really help to understand and explain why and how this stuff works so well.

Start at about 3 minutes in to skip the base on fasting.

(small correction on glucogenesis (creation of glucose from protein) , they seem to be finding that it is an effect of demand not supply. So eating more protein does not turn the excess into sugar/fat, the body converts only what it needs. That said, protein consumption does cause an insulinogenic effect. (not to the degree of carbs) That is necessary to store and use the protein. But something to be aware of. As it does have the side effects of insulin, increasing hunger, preventing the effects of glucagon, etc.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Got my MCT oil yesterday, and took a dose with coffee before hitting the gym today. It didn't affect my energy level today, it was fairly low, but I sweat like I was standing in the shower clothed. Had to be the MCT, nothing else changed and I haven't sweat like that from lifting alone for a long while.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Got my MCT oil yesterday, and took a dose with coffee before hitting the gym today. It didn't affect my energy level today, it was fairly low, but I sweat like I was standing in the shower clothed. Had to be the MCT, nothing else changed and I haven't sweat like that from lifting alone for a long while.
I haven't seen enough to recommend it to be worth trying to me. Certainly not over just coconut oil. Some people seem to get some appreciable benefit, but for others it seems to be more negative.
https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/ae9h1s/been_on_keto_almost_two_months_everything_was/?utm_source=reddit-android

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I bought some protein shakes today, brand is "premier protein" from costco, looked at a bunch of them and these seemed the best for keto (low carbs, 5 for 11oz shake)
Nice. I'm really loving a protein shake for breakfast after my workout.

The optimum nutrition brand from Amazon are really tasty and seemingly high quality. Approximately $25 for 2 lbs. But I think I'm gonna order some kind of superfood powder to mix in with it for more complete nutrition.

Dymatize, Quest and Isopure are also highly recommended tasty powders at increasing price points.

All seem to be much tastier mixed with part almond milk instead of just water.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Nice. I'm really loving a protein shake for breakfast after my workout.

The optimum nutrition brand from Amazon are really tasty and seemingly high quality. Approximately $25 for 2 lbs. But I think I'm gonna order some kind of superfood powder to mix in with it for more complete nutrition.

Dymatize, Quest and Isopure are also highly recommended tasty powders at increasing price points.

All seem to be much tastier mixed with part almond milk instead of just water.
These are pre-mixed, $20 for 18 shakes they had choc and vanilla, got the choc, i have a friend who works in a health food store, il ask him what they have

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
These are pre-mixed, $20 for 18 shakes they had choc and vanilla, got the choc, i have a friend who works in a health food store, il ask him what they have
Nice. Those are really convenient. I got some Atkins ones for that. Pretty crappy ingredients on the Atkins stuff, (but it was on sale + I had a coupon ) but pre mixed are really handy to have on hand when you want something quick or need to grab and go.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made the mistake of buying the 7.5 pound buckets of Isopure when they are on sale in the worst flavors possible. No amount of almond milk will ever be enough to mask the horrible taste of most Isopure flavors, if you have to count carbs then Isopure or Musclepharm offers zero carb options which is great.
ON, Iso100 are my favorite. I like to mix half whey and half casein on my busier days to keep me feeling full for a longer duration. When there are sales on amazon I make sure to stock up on Orgain or amazing grass brands for superfoods powder just be mindful this can add anywhere from 4 to 11 grams of carbs if you are on keto.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I've made the mistake of buying the 7.5 pound buckets of Isopure when they are on sale in the worst flavors possible. No amount of almond milk will ever be enough to mask the horrible taste of most Isopure flavors, if you have to count carbs then Isopure or Musclepharm offers zero carb options which is great.
ON, Iso100 are my favorite. I like to mix half whey and half casein on my busier days to keep me feeling full for a longer duration. When there are sales on amazon I make sure to stock up on Orgain or amazing grass brands for superfoods powder just be mindful this can add anywhere from 4 to 11 grams of carbs if you are on keto.
Good info! Thanks!
My ketosis threshold is on the higher end, so that shouldn't be a problem. Those were some brands I was looking at, so it's good to hear them recommended.
Some of the isopure flavors are good though aren't they? I would have thought so being one of the higher priced....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the isopure flavors are good though aren't they? I would have thought so being one of the higher priced....
Isopure is not known for their flavors in my opinion. However they have ok protein. Higher prices doesn't necessarily mean better taste or quality, but quality protein with higher price tags can mean more money went into lab testing, and the sourcing of protein is key. I for one would not wanna be chugging sketchy shakes from a questionable origin. If I had the funds my protein of choice would only be Dymatize ISO100 or their "elite" line until they change their formulation and added undesirable additives.

Picking out good protein can be a pain in the behind with all the information and misinformation floating around. Companies like to fuddle with the specifics on the labels because it is a supplement and not regulated as a food product. Amino spiking is something to watch out for, some manufacturers dump cheap ingredients in to pass certain tests so they can claim the % of protein you can get per serving. Some of the well known brands were guilty of this and some still are. I am guilty of buying the cheap poor quality protein at times when they are dirt cheap, beggars cant be choosers :D.

Some general guidelines that may help.
Overview of protein types.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I haven't seen enough to recommend it to be worth trying to me. Certainly not over just coconut oil. Some people seem to get some appreciable benefit, but for others it seems to be more negative.
https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/ae9h1s/been_on_keto_almost_two_months_everything_was/?utm_source=reddit-android
I researched it quite a bit, and decided it might get me over my first plateau since starting 6 weeks ago. Certainly can't hurt (at least I think so, despite the reddit experts). :) I'll report back after 10 days or so and let you know if things get better or not.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
As far as protein powders go, I've was switching between Optimum Nutrition Rocky Road and Muscle Pharm Combat Banana Cream. They are the two best tasting and best mixing in water powders I've ever used. But I haven't had a shake since starting keto 6 weeks ago, so I haven't even looked at the labels to determine if they're keto friendly.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
As far as protein powders go, I've was switching between Optimum Nutrition Rocky Road and Muscle Pharm Combat Banana Cream. They are the two best tasting and best mixing in water powders I've ever used. But I haven't had a shake since starting keto 6 weeks ago, so I haven't even looked at the labels to determine if they're keto friendly.
The wife and I have noticed that our weight loss has slowed since we started protein shakes. Don't know if that's due to an increase in calories, or because it's coinciding with harder workouts. Body recomposition is still going well.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I researched it quite a bit, and decided it might get me over my first plateau since starting 6 weeks ago. Certainly can't hurt (at least I think so, despite the reddit experts). :) I'll report back after 10 days or so and let you know if things get better or not.
Please do. Seems to be beneficial for some. Though there are some funny stories about mixing it with too much other fats and having some, uh, side effects..

Ah, sounds like you're in the adaptation Plateau. Lasted around 2 weeks for me, after which I had a significant drop in weight and my strength came back.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Please do. Seems to be beneficial for some. Though there are some funny stories about mixing it with too much other fats and having some, uh, side effects..
Seems like my tolerance is pretty good, I've gone full dose + (for overspill) the last couple days and still "solid as a rock". ;):ROFLMAO:
Ah, sounds like you're in the adaptation Plateau. Lasted around 2 weeks for me, after which I had a significant drop in weight and my strength came back.
Please Please Please! More for the strength to come back, but a little more of my "back fat" disappearing would be sweet too.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Seems like my tolerance is pretty good, I've gone full dose + (for overspill) the last couple days and still "solid as a rock". ;):ROFLMAO:

Please Please Please! More for the strength to come back, but a little more of my "back fat" disappearing would be sweet too.
Hahaha!

It'll happen! It was a relief, and motivating when it did.

I'm only 12 pounds from my goal weight, so things have slowed down. Scales not moving much but my love handles keep shrinking.

I watched a Joe Rogan interview with this workout nutritionist chick, and she was talking about the benefits for muscle recovery and fat loss by consuming your calories in a 6 - 8 hour eating window every day. I'm trying that out now. Couldn't hurt.

Though I'm really just being impatient and wanting to rush the process. It's going well.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Glad it's going well for you, Jeremy. I haven't stepped on the scale since I started, judging all by the mirror and pants fit. Been good so far, but like you said I might be in that plateau phase and hoping to jump back into the gains (meaning losses).