What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@Glassman i just want to thank you for starting this thread, as well as everyone who has contributed to it. I’ve been going to the gym actively since late October, though not as much as I would like to, trying to get my fat ass into shape. Now that my holiday season at work has died down, I’m getting even more serious about loosing weight. I’ve never been into diets before, and this thread, as well as the provided links, have really given me quite a good bit of info on Keto. This is something I’m actually interested in trying out, as a co worker of mine had gone low carb, a few months back, and had great results even without working out. So this is something I’m going to continue to research and implement into my life.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
@Glassman i just want to thank you for starting this thread, as well as everyone who has contributed to it. I’ve been going to the gym actively since late October, though not as much as I would like to, trying to get my fat ass into shape. Now that my holiday season at work has died down, I’m getting even more serious about loosing weight. I’ve never been into diets before, and this thread, as well as the provided links, have really given me quite a good bit of info on Keto. This is something I’m actually interested in trying out, as a co worker of mine had gone low carb, a few months back, and had great results even without working out. So this is something I’m going to continue to research and implement into my life.
Very welcome! Nice. Best of luck with it. I don't think I could do a traditional diet, but this, this works for me.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
This is where I stand through lunch today. Was pretty good yesterday as well. Well under 100 the last 3 days. Today easily the most restrictive. I will say I'm dealing with a ripping headache but my kid has been getting up to pee during the night and so we haven't been sleeping real well lately and that very well could be the issue. I did have some lime and himilayan salt water this morning as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good going. Bummer on the interrupted sleep. That's never helpful. :(
Could be carb withdrawal, if so, that will pass soon.
If the headache persists, try another glass of salt and lime (or lemon) water.
And just more water in general.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I will def have more of it when I get home. Been trying to pound water.

Also, what macros do you all go for? I kinda feel like I'm almost getting too much fat, but I don't know.

Thanks as always!
Good going. Bummer on the interrupted sleep. That's never helpful. :(
Could be carb withdrawal, if so, that will pass soon.
If the headache persists, try another glass of salt and lime (or lemon) water.
And just more water in general.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Good way to break a 25 hour fast! :eek:
20190128_160558.jpg
Technically broke it with some coffee with coconut oil and hvy cream and some marinated mozzarella pearls about 30 minutes prior.

Experimenting with fasting for the autophagy benefits and HGH boost, more than for fat loss.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I will def have more of it when I get home. Been trying to pound water.

Also, what macros do you all go for? I kinda feel like I'm almost getting too much fat, but I don't know.

Thanks as always!
Adam may be able to instruct more on the macros.

You need a little extra fat the first couple of weeks, and again once you hit maintenance. During weight loss you want to make up the difference in fat and protein with fibrous vegetables.
Protein should be roughly 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass. (weight minus body fat percentage) More or less depending on how active you are.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks for the calculator.

We're talking net carbs yes? If so after dinner I'm at 16!

Yep! Nice! Fiber is listed as a carb on US nutrition info, but irrelevant for our purposes. Doesn't spike insulin, and doesn't add glucose.

Some of those calculators can be a little off. Maybe let us know the numbers it recommends so we can see if it's inline.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Sure! And great. Here's what I put in. I think I went a bit more protein than it suggest.

Looks about right. Wouldn't be a big deal to change the protein / fat ratio to 35/60

Though I could be wrong, but I "think" those look like the numbers for someone your size, who's getting some daily Excercise.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So week 2 has ended, weight lost 12lbs glucose level has stayed about the same as last week which is ok as its a lot lower than when i started, two big things i have noticed, i had a few areas on my legs that had pins and needles (common diabetic problem) thats gone and another diabetic problem of very dry skin has just about gone, Happy camper here, BIG thanks @Glassman for starting this

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Looks about right. Wouldn't be a big deal to change the protein / fat ratio to 35/60

Though I could be wrong, but I "think" those look like the numbers for someone your size, who's getting some daily Excercise.
OK. I'll re run. No worries

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So week 2 has ended, weight lost 12lbs glucose level has stayed about the same as last week which is ok as its a lot lower than when i started, two big things i have noticed, i had a few areas on my legs that had pins and needles (common diabetic problem) thats gone and another diabetic problem of very dry skin has just about gone, Happy camper here, BIG thanks @Glassman for starting this
Sweet! Very nice! So glad to hear it. I've been reading about how beneficial it can be for neuropathy and skin problems. And from what I've read, those glucose numbers could come down further.

I lost a good friend to diabetes complications a couple years ago. I really wish I'd found out about this a few years before that and got him started on it then... :sorry:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Jeremy, I think when I go "off" this in 2 weeks, I'll probably still be under 50g a day so maybe I will stay at some level of ketosis, but if I come out briefly, I'm not worried about it.

Nice work, @pbibby , @Fusion555 , @12VoltViking … love hearing people's success and insights.

Made some "Keto" tuna salad today, will probably last me about 5 meals (supplemented with bacon or some other extra fat. I don't think the Keto purists would call this Keto, because it's not high in fat at all, but I need extra protein at some point in the day with all the weight training and cardio I am doing.

15 oz Wild Planet line caught solid albacore tuna in sea salt
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
3 medium celery stalks, finely chopped
6 medium jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (I like it spicy)
2 tbl Dill
4 oz. Koop's Arizona Heat mustard

Mix it all up, refrigerate and eat cold. About 20 minutes prep time for all 5 servings.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Following up on some of the earlier, heart, fat, artery stuff.
http://www.botl.org/threads/keto-gettin-healthy-on-steak-and-bacon-info-tips-and-recipes.94784/page-10#post-2109169

Seems like it's a bad plan to go on statins, especially if hdl is high, and triglycerides are low. At the very least study up on it rather than just going with the average gp's knee-jerk reaction.
There's a LOT of info and studies out there and recommendations have changed a lot.

Pattern A LDL is good, pattern B (small dense LDL) is the sign of problems. So the overall cholesterol numbers are far less important than the breakdown of the specific types and their ratios.

Put very well by this guy.

And an expose on Statins. This one is worth watching cause she's a smoking hot intelligent redhead with an amazing accent....

Hmm, also very good. @pbibby she really needs to watch this one.

Last edited: