What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Appreciate it all, seriously.

Not sure how good today will end up being, but it was good to start it on the right foot. Unfortunately my fall back for lunch (beef jerky) is 6g of carbs in a small pouch. Oh well. I'll go to the store this weekend for some supplies and we'll continue on!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Appreciate it. I agree. I guess I've always been wired differently. I am so skeptical about everything (including about Keto) but when I am presented facts and counterarguments, then I can be convinced, etc. Pretty open minded I guess. So I don't always understand when people, when presented facts contrary to what they THINK, say, yeah no way I don't believe that. Okay. I'll try to just smile and nod.
Yeah, most people are definitely not wired that way. Especially with ingrained common knowledge. They can only be convinced through the Socratic method. Asking questions that lead them to think, reevaluate, accept new info that's counter to their paradigm, and come to a new conclusion.

I knew it worked well from all the testimonials I'd seen, but it took a month or so of studying to get the how and why and be sold on it.

That Jillian Michael's bullshit will make the pushback worse, yet every point she made was scientifically backwards.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One of the biggest issues doing low carb/keto is eating out. I try to check a restaurants website for food info prior to going. You'd e surprised at how many "healthy" options are full of sugars and carbs.
s

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
One of the biggest issues doing low carb/keto is eating out. I try to check a restaurants website for food info prior to going. You'd e surprised at how many "healthy" options are full of sugars and carbs.
s
But at the same time, once you know, it's not that bad. Stick with meats and veggies. A little extra sugar snuck in won't be a deal killer for most ketoers . People worry too much. It's usually fine, as long as they're saying away from the bread, potatoes and sweets.
Now of course, it is a little more critical for diabetics...

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So one BIG hangup for me is lunches at the office. I am a financial person at a small business. Constantly needing to bring my lunch 5 days a week. Been doing Berry smoothies with protein powder, etc. I'm VERY lazy (I think I've mentioned that) and I am TERRIBLE at packing lunches every day, etc. I know I'll need some effort, but wat are some good items that I can bring for lunch that are easy, more grab and go style, etc?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So one BIG hangup for me is lunches at the office. I am a financial person at a small business. Constantly needing to bring my lunch 5 days a week. Been doing Berry smoothies with protein powder, etc. I'm VERY lazy (I think I've mentioned that) and I am TERRIBLE at packing lunches every day, etc. I know I'll need some effort, but wat are some good items that I can bring for lunch that are easy, more grab and go style, etc?
Low sugar protein shakes or super food smoothies are good options.

A lot of us are eating almonds, pecans or walnuts, beef sticks, cheese, tuna salad or chicken salad, (like mixed with mayo and seasonings) , as well as actual salads with chicken or bacon, (I've actually developed an appreciation for pork skins surprisingly), two good yogurt is fine, beef jerky is fine (lower sugar types are better when possible).

Thats off the top of my head. There were others hopefully the other guys can remember.

I work at home, so it's usually protein shakes earlier, something with eggs usually around lunchtime.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thank you sir! I'm looking forward to going to the grocery store! Haha.

Today hasn't been great but I will be well under 100g carbs (probably under 75g) and I can't remember the last time that was the case.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So after dinner I'm right at 75g. Can't say I'm completely full today but again did not plan this day out at all. To the grocery store tomorrow. Looking forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So after dinner I'm right at 75g. Can't say I'm completely full today but again did not plan this day out at all. To the grocery store tomorrow. Looking forward to it

Good work! You can always eat more nuts, cheese or meat to get the calories up or increase fullness.

The hunger will go away after a few days of eating fully keto. After the carb cravings pass. Then you'll be able to skip a meal and it not even bother you. It's really crazy. Especially to someone like me, who used to snack all the time.

There's a lot of dessert recipes that fit in as well.

Some other things I forgot to mention for lunch options, vegetables and ranch. Meat and cheese roll ups. And eating out, just leave off the bun (most places are getting used to people ordering that. Chipotle even has a keto bowl now) and get things grilled instead of breaded obviously.

I've even torn the breading off of KFC, and just ate the cheese and topping off of pizza when there was loads of extra at a kids event.

At the store, try to grab some almond flour and coconut flour. Makes all kinds of things possible. Mozzarella and cream cheese come in really handy as well.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Maybe it's been posted. Can you link me a study on plaque buildup or how this affects the heart. I have to say, I'm in decent shape but my family has gifted me hereditary blood pressure issues. My biggest concern about this diet is that (again according I "common thought") it could be bad on my heart. My wife is a nurse and she's way less skeptical than most people about this but still has concerns

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Maybe it's been posted. Can you link me a study on plaque buildup or how this affects the heart. I have to say, I'm in decent shape but my family has gifted me hereditary blood pressure issues. My biggest concern about this diet is that (again according I "common thought") it could be bad on my heart. My wife is a nurse and she's way less skeptical than most people about this but still has concerns

I know I've seen Dr. Berry say a few times that it's actually inflammation due to chemical responses from sugar that leads to the plaque buildup, put simply.
First time being in this video I think.
I've know I've seen other Drs. Say basically the same thing but with a more detailed scientific explanation. I'll see if I can find some.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
https://www.positivehealthwellness.com/diet-nutrition/can-keto-diet-clog-arteries/

https://www.docmuscles.com/vascular-plaque-reduction-with-ketogenic-diet-a-case-study/

Apparently there's also a lot of good science referenced and detailed in this book. https://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Surprise-Butter-Healthy-ebook/dp/B00A25FDUA

From the reading I did in regards to @Tyler86 question, blood pressure numbers improved across the board after a few months on keto.

People not getting enough salt and potassium sometimes do experience an elevated heart rate in the first week or so. @pbibby

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
https://www.positivehealthwellness.com/diet-nutrition/can-keto-diet-clog-arteries/

https://www.docmuscles.com/vascular-plaque-reduction-with-ketogenic-diet-a-case-study/

Apparently there's also a lot of good science referenced and detailed in this book. https://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Surprise-Butter-Healthy-ebook/dp/B00A25FDUA

From the reading I did in regards to @Tyler86 question, blood pressure numbers improved across the board after a few months on keto.

People not getting enough salt and potassium sometimes do experience an elevated heart rate in the first week or so. @pbibby
Good stuff brother. Will dive in. Thank you very much