What's new

Kitty Litter the Final Test

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I'm not sure how you figure, other than solely relying on what others have stated before, which I'm not sure what that's based on either.
How do you know how much studying I have done on the subject?:lookaroun

Zman, if you are getting a tower, you must have a nice sized selection of smokes. I'm curious, why are you getting a tower?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This thread has gotten old. There are two camps here:
I'll never put that sh*t near my smokes cause beads are better

KL works just as good so why spend the bucks for beads (I belong to this group).

I do have $1000's of dollars of cigars in 2 endtable humi's, a 100qt cooler, countles desktops and an Aristocrat. I use a Cigar Oasis with SAP's to humidify the cooler, KL in the end tables, the desktops are KL or SAP;s and a Set N Forget with SAP's for the Aristocrat. To maintain the humidity in the summer months I use KL to reduce humidity in the cooler and Aristocrat. Nobody here could tell which cigar came from which Humi and all are 63-67%.

One undisputable fact KL will reduce humidty faster than beads which is mainly why I use them.

Use whatever works for you and don't sweat the small stuff

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
This thread has gotten old. There are two camps here:
I'll never put that sh*t near my smokes cause beads are better

KL works just as good so why spend the bucks for beads (I belong to this group).

I do have $1000's of dollars of cigars in 2 endtable humi's, a 100qt cooler, countles desktops and an Aristocrat. I use a Cigar Oasis with SAP's to humidify the cooler, KL in the end tables, the desktops are KL or SAP;s and a Set N Forget with SAP's for the Aristocrat. To maintain the humidity in the summer months I use KL to reduce humidity in the cooler and Aristocrat. Nobody here could tell which cigar came from which Humi and all are 63-67%.

One undisputable fact KL will reduce humidty faster than beads which is mainly why I use them.

CF, how big is your Aristocrat?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the topic of Heartfelt Beads VS. kitty litter will never get too old and die because there are always new smokers out there who need good info on how to store cigars.

In my opinion, there are more than 2 camps out there.

one is that I want the best for my cigars, and i am willing to spend more money. i have read a lot of info on cigar boards, and i know that there is a difference.

another camp wants to save some $, recognizes that kitty litter is different from the Heartfelt Beads, but with some conditioning, and some advice, can get it to perform in a similar, but not exact manner.

another camp is primarily concerned with saving money, refuses to recognize that KL and HFB's are a different product, and will actually say things like Heartfelt beads are a ripoff, or state that the 2 items are exactly the same.

the first 2 camps are fine, the 3rd camp refuses to face the facts.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How do you know how much studying I have done on the subject?:lookaroun
Tuba, I have no idea how much studying you have done on the subject. My comments were simply based on the statement that you made below, which seems to indicate to me that you have a cursory understanding of the subject, which would definitely apply to me as well. However, I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. :wink:

The reason why HF beads are more expensive is, they are better. Others, who know a hell of alot more about this stuff than either of us have attested to this.

As for your question:

Zman, if you are getting a tower, you must have a nice sized selection of smokes. I'm curious, why are you getting a tower?
Tuba, why do you assume that I have a nice sized selection of smokes? :scratchhe

I'm kidding with you - :grin:

What it all comes down to, in my estimation, is what cf2112 stated earlier...

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the topic of Heartfelt Beads VS. kitty litter will never get too old and die because there are always new smokers out there who need good info on how to store cigars.

In my opinion, there are more than 2 camps out there.

one is that I want the best for my cigars, and i am willing to spend more money. i have read a lot of info on cigar boards, and i know that there is a difference.

another camp wants to save some $, recognizes that kitty litter is different from the Heartfelt Beads, but with some conditioning, and some advice, can get it to perform in a similar, but not exact manner.

another camp is primarily concerned with saving money, refuses to recognize that KL and HFB's are a different product, and will actually say things like Heartfelt beads are a ripoff, or state that the 2 items are exactly the same.

the first 2 camps are fine, the 3rd camp refuses to face the facts

I do not doubt their differences but they are very similair. I can afford either (and have both) but wouldn't use either alone for anything bigger than a desktop or a small cooler. 100qt cooler or bigger I'd go with a Cigar Oasis and Beads/KL in fact thats what I have now.

For me conditioning was easy, when they stopped absorbing humidity in my Aristocrat they were conditioned to 63-67% and would stay that way in a cooler for 3-4 months, a desktop 4-8 weeks. This depends on the season, how often you open it, ect.

Again I now use KL primarily to remove humidity, imho it works much better than Beads. When I used KL to humidify it worked very similair to beads when conditioned which could have been more difficult to achieve had I not had my Aristocrat.

I must now retire from this thread and smoke a cigar if I can find one properly humidified :smokingbo :devil:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
That's beautiful!

Do you feel it works exponentially better than coolers do for storing cigars to justify the price you paid, or is it purely for asthetics?
Oh, oh. I feel a point coming on. :timebomb:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Tuba, I have no idea how much studying you have done on the subject. My comments were simply based on the statement that you made below, which seems to indicate to me that you have a cursory understanding of the subject, which would definitely apply to me as well. However, I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. :wink:
The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know shit.

People who know me well on this board have read this statement from me many times. It is the reason I still read and continue my quest for knowledge on this and many other subjects. I am an expert at teaching music, that is my chosen profession. I love cigars, and try to learn as much as I can about them, but I do not pretend to be an expert. There are people here and on other boards that have studied humidification much more than me, so yes I value their opinion, but that doesn't mean I blindly accept their word as gospel.

As for my question as to the size of your collection, most people who purchase a tower humidor have a fairly sizeable collection. I doubt you are going to put 2 or 3 boxes in it. So, as I asked CF, do you think the performance of the humidor is so great that it outweighs the increase in cost over several coolers?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
That's beautiful!

Do you feel it works exponentially better than coolers do for storing cigars to justify the price you paid, or is it purely for asthetics?
Yes but only because it has temp control. I worry and check the non-cooled storage more often. I could pull a cigar from the Aristo, cooler, end tables or desktops and not be able to tell the difference. The asthetics is my wife who would shit if I had 8-10 coolers stacked about, she was freaking out when I had 2. For the money I could have bought a window A/C unit for the Man Cave to keep the temp down and been ahead $$$ for many years using coolers. For me it's not always about the $$$ (I do like saving a few $$$ though).

Everyone must make choices in life and cigars, gather as much info as you can. After you've gathered the info try a few different ones pick the best one for you and your cigars, your family or yourself. As your collection/family change so may your choices.

We need a KL vs Beads herf last man smoking wins:smokingbo

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Under advice from my consigliere, I'm letting this one go.

CF and Zman, I hope we can hook up one day for smokes!
Sounds like a fine plan! :smokingbo

As for your question about the humidor, mine isn't of great quality. I could not justify the expense of a 3-4k unit so I spent considerably less but am still happy with the humi that I now have. As for your question about performance - my 120 qt cooler that I have in addition to my humi is actually better in maintaining a consistent humidity level that I desire. However, I'm needing to get rid of all of my coolers because in our new home, they just don't look good sitting out in the living room; hence the reason for the humi that I bought. It looks nice in my office and it's also fun to be able to stare at all of my smokes on a daily basis - I probably waste a lot of time doing this every day! :grin:

One day I plan to get a temp. controlled aristocrat, but that day is a ways off from now!