What's new

Kitty Litter the Final Test

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Yeah, but which product does your wallet like more? :grin:
My cigars!

I've said this before, KL may work, but I will use beads. Museums use them in their storage facilities for keeping their most treasured objects and documents in a constant, safe relative humidity. If I'm going to spend alot of money on high end cigars, why should I skimp on what I'm going to use to keep them smokeable?

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Exquisicat seems to be discontinued. There's another brand called Crystal Clear Litter Pearls that perform the same. Amazon.com had them awhile back.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
this thread is way too civil. i remember some good flame wars on other boards regarding the kitty litter VS. Heartfelt Beads debate.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exquisicat seems to be discontinued. There's another brand called Crystal Clear Litter Pearls that perform the same. Amazon.com had them awhile back.

I just bought 8 lbs of Exquisicat a week ago and there seemed to have been plenty on the shelf.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My cigars!

I've said this before, KL may work, but I will use beads. Museums use them in their storage facilities for keeping their most treasured objects and documents in a constant, safe relative humidity. If I'm going to spend alot of money on high end cigars, why should I skimp on what I'm going to use to keep them smokeable?
I completely agree. I have too much money invested in cigars to worry about the price of water. I personally have a Accumonitor in my cabinet, but I'm planning on purchaseing a few tubes of beads to help even out to humidity in certain areas.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just bought 8 lbs of Exquisicat a week ago and there seemed to have been plenty on the shelf.
Based on comments of people looking for Exquisicat, not all stores have 'em. The supply seems to be erratic. They are showing on the PetSmart web site. But it says "limited quantities available". Whatever THAT means.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
My cigars!

:yes:

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
this thread is way too civil. i remember some good flame wars on other boards regarding the kitty litter VS. Heartfelt Beads debate.
Oh yeah! And beads vs. foam and PG

Back in the day guys were probably reluctant to give up their paper elements. And what about the good ol' timey clay humidifiers?

Some people don't want to hear about new stuff. They like what they have.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Honestly Guys, I feel there must be some kind of serious difference between kitty litter and humidity beads. If there isn't then I seriously got hosed for the 4 lbs I have distributed throughout my several humidors. Honestly, Thousands of dollars worth of cigars and your going to put them in your humi with kitty litter? I know it's safe, but there must be a solid difference somewhere that makes the humidity beads more expensive? Right?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
yes, there are differences that make the Heartfelt Beads more expensive.
First, there are different grades of silica gel. Some manufactured for sucking up liquids(kitty litter), and some for controlling humid, but not wet conditions. You can even buy silica gel that will perform differently at various humidity levels. If you go to some manufacturers sites, and some scientific type sites, you can see all the different types of gels, and how they perform. different silica gels have different size pores that determine how they perform.

Heartfelt Beads are a type of silica gel that is used in the museum industry to protect fine art. The art industry is not quite as fussy as we are. i was told by an art storage bigshot that they keep their humidity around 50&#37;. if it sways 10 points up or down, its no big deal. If that happens to our cigars, we have a stroke. So, Heartfelt uses the better quality museum grade bead, and then to lock it in at a desired humidity level for cigars, a salt solution is added. with the salt additive, we do not have to be as precise with the amt of water that we add to our beads. the salt is what locks in the humidity level.

the museums that choose not to use the salted beads have a pretty complicated formula that they use to regulate the beads. breifly, they have to know the volume of the storage chamber,and the amount of beads that are in the chamber. then thay have a formula that determines exactly how much water to add to raise the humidity level, or how much dry beads to add to decrease the humidity level. remember, they are still using the museum grade bead, it just is not impregnated with the salt.

now, before anybody jumps down my throat, i am not saying that kitty litter wont work. i am just saying that there is a silica gel product that is designed for our use.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With the salt additive, we do not have to be as precise with the amt of water that we add to our beads. the salt is what locks in the humidity level....
From a practical standpoint, I think Ron hit it right on the head. KL is very easy to overwater. Once you've done it, you had best start over with fresh KL beads. Heartfelt beads almost have to be swimming in water not to function. So Heartfelt beads are easier to use, and more reliable. It is a higher grade scientifically conditioned product.

KL beads are economical. But you have to be willing to experiment with them a bit to see what will make them work for you. I think they are just as reliable as, and easier to use than foam and PG.

If you have a low freakout threshold, you better stick with Heartfelt Beads.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I am not going into it here of this vs that, but my Exquisicat KL beads are still working just fine at 67-68&#37; RH in the coolidors. They have held up during the low RH winter and now doing well in the high RH summer, showing very little movement in the RH.

The only thing I had recently after I calibrated a new hygro, the wine cooler on various shelves was reading higher than 65%RH. Bottom shelf where the Oasis is was 68%RH. The top shelf was right at 70%RH. The middle shelf and where my 65% beads are located is also about 69-70%. So one could say the beads can not keep up with an active Oasis system volumn. And yet the beads were not fully saturated, showing mostly white. I would have thought they would have been more clear and shown more wet looking to clue me in my RH was too high. So I am not convinced they are doing there job to remove the RH.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have both HF and KL. I appreciate HF's sponsoring these boards and the consistently great service provided. However, when I look at humidifying the new tower humi my wife is buying for my birthday next month, I can't justify $116 vs. $10 for 4 pounds of KL/beads when my personal experience with both products has been very good.

I didn't do any mysterious "conditioning" hocus pocus with the KL in my wine cooler. I poured some litter in a plastic bowl, added a little water, and my wine cooler has been 63-66&#37; ever since (except for the power outage issues in the other thread)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
blah...didn't finish...

That said, if I needed a smaller amount to do a desktop, I would use HF. The cost difference wouldn't be as dramatic, and the smaller humis are more sensitive to environmental changes.