Stick #1: L40 by Drew Estates
Stick #2: 2014 TAA by CyB
Stick #3: 2012 Illusione Holy Lance
Stick #4: DPG Original Blue
Stick #5: Room 101 Master Collection One Mutante
Stick #6: Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970
Stick #7: Viaje Oro
Stick #8: BLTC Morphine

So back on Aug 7th of last year I posted up receiving this purchase.

I tried finding any notes from the first one I smoked shortly after getting them, to no avail. I believe I felt it needed some down time since it didn't taste so great.
So fast forward to today and I try it again.

Review isn't so good. I wanted to like this stick, I love the packaging, the band, and the looks and feel. But I just can't, I did not like very much at all. The upside is that it burnt great. Real tight burn line, only little smoke output from foot, but it burnt like a champ. Flavor was just not very good in my opinion. I forced myself to get to the final third to see if it would get better, but no luck. So if u like em, good for you. But I will pass on any more.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Lancero February:
Stick #1: L40 by Drew Estates
Stick #2: 2014 TAA by CyB
Stick #3: 2012 Illusione Holy Lance
Stick #4: DPG Original Blue
Stick #5: Room 101 Master Collection One Mutante
Stick #6: Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970
Stick #7: Viaje Oro
Stick #8: BLTC Morphine
Stick #9: AVO Heritage

Since waking up to this outside...

..it was quickly decided that all smoking would be done in a properly heated location and not my garage.

So during a stop at Ed Leez in Albany I picked this for my next go. Now I usually skip AVO cigars. Im not a fan of their logo or the art of their bands. Just come across as boring. But with a limited selection of Lanceros at this store it came down to either this or a Romeo y Julieta lance. So what the hell, I'll try this.

Lots of wood, mixed with a little chemical/mineral taste. Mild flavor overall. I smoked it and enjoyed being in a lounge enjoying a stick for my lunch but I won't be buying anymore. Wasn't bad, but wasn't good by my standards even a little bit.
Im gonna have to smoke something real good tomorrow to make up for my two duds today.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0

Viaje WLP PL TB#7

Nicely constructed, medium brown wrapper. The draw on this one was absolutely perfect. Smoke output was very good as well. Huge pepper blast on the start that didn't really settle down till well into the first third. Couldn't even comfortably retro. 2/3 the pepper remained, but was much more subdued allowing me to pick up some coffee and dark chocalate. 3/3 brought the strong black pepper back and got kinda bitter in the last 1 1/2", so I put her down. Burned fairly well with only 2 minor touch-ups required. Medium-full body and strength. Not a bad smoke, but not great either.
Final score: 86

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Day 1: Lost City
Day 2: Fausto
Day 3: La Riqueza
Day 4: Cabaiguan Guapos
Day 5: La Casita Criolla
Day 6: Tat Red
Day 7: Tat Brown, 7-20-4
Day 8: Opus X PL, La Palina Black PL
Day 9: Valeroso
Day 10: Viaje, Tat black PL
Day 11: Snare Drum
Day 12: Pepin Blue
Day 13: La Aurora 107

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423889553.180809.jpg

Just barely got to enjoy this on Wednesday evening. Blend is supposedly the same as the Drumstick and tastes like it. VERY loose and easy draw (too loose actually) but damn the wrapper is tasty on the lips.

None of the trademark tar issues from the Drumstick, but not as much flavor (or of course length) either.

The drumstick is one of my faves. The whole idea of this one is nice-- PL sized-- but a firmer pack may have befit it. Thanks (I think) to @erjaq for the bomb?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423889578.550705.jpg

So, get this: this Pepin Blue was just OK!

I know I've smoked this before and if not at the top of lances, it's close for a lot of people. No co structure issues. Good draw and burn, nice cold aromas... but not "special" in the way that other regular line lances can be (MF #4 for example). Granted, this was not from my humi-- its direct from the B&M's which can be too humid for my tastes at times. But whatever the reason it suffered and was middling and less than hoped for.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423889602.988524.jpg

Tonight's offering, and I think the first time for me: the La Aurora 107.

Bitter wrapper on the lips, but a full, mellow smoke. So easy on the nose during the retro, which I adore.

The burn started a tad uneven (I do toast) but is self-correcting. Getting cedar, black pepper, citrus spice (from the Habano wrapper, I'm guessing, which is a gorgeous reddish leather with a medium sheen). This is medium-plus or more, though it doesn't look it. The finish alternates between wood and a very high, almost chemical note.

I'm surprised by this smoke. For a $10 stick that I've largely ignored, it's a winner.

Ranked top to bottom thus far:

Lost City
Opus X PL
La Riqueza
7-20-4
La Aurora 107
Tat brown
La Palina Black PL
Viaje
Tat Black PL
Pepin Blue
La Casita Criolla
Snare Drum
Valeroso
Cabaiguan Guapos
Tat red
Fausto

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Room101 Master Collection 2
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423889333.396565.jpg
Wasn't sold completely on these when they were released last year around this time. They were pretty good and showed potential, but not where the MC1 was when they were young. What a difference a year makes. Mellowed out a bit but really smoothed off the sharp edges. Still strong on the retro but full of wonderful creamy smoke. Buttered popcorn, toast and salted caramel make up the profile through out with minor hints of floral and nutty notes popping in from time to time.
Rated:91

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Day 1: Lost City
Day 2: Fausto
Day 3: La Riqueza
Day 4: Cabaiguan Guapos
Day 5: La Casita Criolla
Day 6: Tat Red
Day 7: Tat Brown, 7-20-4
Day 8: Opus X PL, La Palina Black PL
Day 9: Valeroso
Day 10: Viaje, Tat black PL
Day 11: Snare Drum
Day 12: Pepin Blue
Day 13: La Aurora 107
Day 14: MF #4

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423963313.918866.jpg

Paired with a grapefruit pellegrino.

Never disappoints. My go-to lance at my B&M which is lancero-challenged (they only carry Lost City, Opus Pl, MF, La Aurora 107 and Cien Años, Valeroso, LLTK, Airbender, Pepin Blue and the Tat sampler). I've bought all of them already this month except the Airbender which I may skip (not a LFD fan), so from now on I guess I'll bring a lance and smoke it, and buy something else for next month.

The ash is challenged at 1/2 inch and the first inch already fell on me while typing this. Does ash strength or color matter to you? I don't think it does to me. I care about density, burn, and flavor-- and to some extent strength, though it's been quite some time since a cigar nauseated me. I've also built up a resistance to iocane powder.

Ranked top to bottom thus far:

Lost City
Opus X PL
La Riqueza
7-20-4
La Aurora 107
Tat brown
MF #4
La Palina Black PL
Viaje
Tat Black PL
Pepin Blue
La Casita Criolla
Snare Drum
Valeroso
Cabaiguan Guapos
Tat red
Fausto

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Smoked this earlier this afternoon.
Quesada Espana
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423976659.686086.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423976670.072160.jpg
Great smoke (Thx DeBoy). Burned nicely the entire way and had wonderful flavors throughout. I wish more were made, but just thankful I got to try one. Thanks Lancero February for making me smoke this...!
Rated:92