What's new

Leaf Reviews

Josh Smith

Opus junkie
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's what I call "development cost" and I'd bet you'll have a kilo-buck in leaf before you hit the "perfect" blend.
Why? I'm glad you asked. There are many different leaf out there and when you start combining them there are an infinite number of combinations that you might want to try.

Also these people here on BOTL are a sick bunch and will encourage you to spend every cent you have on leaf to try. :)

We home rollers hardly ever come up with the "perfect" blend. We always want to tweak even our best blends.

But, one you find the base blend you can tweak around that.
I've been at this for less than a year and finally found two blends I really like. OK, three but who's counting. And I'll bet in a year those will be 'old hat' and I'll be onto another blend that is my "best blend."

Having said that, I do think I've saved money after I factor out the NRE. (assuming I'll be doing this for a long time, I'm not assuming this in my cost figures)
I haven't purchased a commercial stick since last July and I used to spend 3-4 hundo a month on CC and NCs.
Now that I've got a pile of leaf I spend 50 to 100 every two months on new leaf. Leaf I don't have and want to try. But I do have a pile of leaf...
Very well put and written. It's the ability to build a tweak my own blends thats appealing as well. It's not just about money. Id like to know the satisfaction of lightning up and saying damn I did that.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Has anyone tried the WLT wrapper "American CT shade (2006)? I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger on a pound....

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Besuki, what’s it like? Sweet? Strong?
Been quite a while since I tried the Besuki. Didn't care for it. Found it an ugly greenish color, with a very toothy texture that made it impossible to wrap smooth.To top it off, it smelt as bad as it looked. Temper that opinion with the fact any number of people tell you how wonderful it is. Then also you have to wonder what batch do you get now compared with what batch I hated five years ago?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yes and no. I have some of the Bezuki Don obtained from Oliva several years ago. It wraps perfectly and the taste is very neutral. Smells like all Indonesian tobacco to me. I like it because I've never found anything easier to work with. However, this batch is long gone.

I've not had need to buy any of the newer stuff. Bezuki seems to be a love it or hate it thing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some Bezuki from WLT a few weeks ago and it's been one of my favorite wrappers to date. Mild spice (think warm, Indian spices), very silky and stretchy, thin-veined, and easy to wrap with. A bit short, so not a lot of extra material for capping (especially a larger stogie), but overall I very much like it. Chris is probably right, might be a love it or hate it kind of thing.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got some Bezuki from WLT a few weeks ago and it's been one of my favorite wrappers to date. Mild spice (think warm, Indian spices), very silky and stretchy, thin-veined, and easy to wrap with. A bit short, so not a lot of extra material for capping (especially a larger stogie), but overall I very much like it. Chris is probably right, might be a love it or hate it kind of thing.
Thank you very much. I'll order some.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I like the WLT "Piloto Cubano Ligero."
https://wholeleaftobacco.com/Piloto-Cubano-Ligero-PltCbnLgr.htm
Per the marketing notes it is also from the CV, like his new stuff. So he's got pretty much the full range, except Olor. Or does he have that, too? What is the mysterious "Dominican ligero" which doesn't list any valleys or seeds?
Anyway, the PC Ligero is stronger than the new C98 and not quite as flavorful; but I kinda prefer it to the new CV Corojo ligero.
My 2 cents.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the WLT "Piloto Cubano Ligero."
https://wholeleaftobacco.com/Piloto-Cubano-Ligero-PltCbnLgr.htm
Per the marketing notes it is also from the CV, like his new stuff. So he's got pretty much the full range, except Olor. Or does he have that, too? What is the mysterious "Dominican ligero" which doesn't list any valleys or seeds?
Anyway, the PC Ligero is stronger than the new C98 and not quite as flavorful; but I kinda prefer it to the new CV Corojo ligero.
My 2 cents.
I have all of the piloto and think it's great. Also would like some info on the Dominican seco and ligero. I emailed them a while back and never got any info.