What's new

Leaf Reviews

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carl* and I cracked into a couple pounds of new-to-me vuelta abajo seco yesterday. Wonderful stuff. We simply put a Dom olor binder and criollo wrapper on it. That was good enough. He also made one with a FX CT shade wrap.

The only thing I would say is, the stuff came a bit too damp & flat for filler. That made for a tight draw.

* Dunno whether it's spelt with a K or with a C. Wife thinks I'm a barbarian, cause I never ask things like this... nor what his boys' names are, nor what his wife's name is, nor how long they've been married, nor what hand lotion she uses, now any of the myriad other things I never think of for a moment but which she knows withing, o, say one and a half nanoseconds after meeting anyone. She's like the gossip speedmaster. Me, I got no gossip.
I gotta say, that vuelta abajo seco was fantastic! Mild, nutty, and well-rounded. I picked me up a pound the next day.

I just read through this thread and hearing everyone's experiences with different leaves is extremely helpful in extracting the most joy from my credit cards. I've got what looks to be quite a tasty list put together already.

*As an aside, it's Karl with a 'K'. And from one barbarian to another, asking those questions completely eludes me as well. Hope to get another herf & roll together some time soon. I learned a lot!

Last edited:

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I gotta say, that vuelta abajo seco was fantastic! Mild, nutty, and well-rounded. I picked me up a pound the next day.

I just read through this thread and hearing everyone's experiences with different leaves is extremely helpful in extracting the most joy from my credit cards. I've got what looks to be quite a tasty list put together already.

*As an aside, it's Karl with a 'K'. And from one barbarian to another, asking those questions completely eludes me as well. Hope to get another herf & roll together some time soon. I learned a lot!
Good to know! I have a pound of the stuff outside in the cold at this very moment. I'll bring it inside this weekend and make something with it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That Vuelta Abajo is damn damp for filler. When I tubed it up, I got plugged sticks. Tasted great, but the draw collapsed.
Found a good answer:

Kinda looks like a hole, but it's one tubed leaf of black Mata Fina down the center. Here's the cherry end:

And the flavor! Holy crap! Truth: Someone sent me a pair of $28 Fuente Fuente Opus X last Fall, I forget why. Before the Super Bowl, I nubbed one of these Vuelta/Matas ROTT. After the EAGLES won the Super Bowl, I sparked up an Opus X. For my taste, I'll take that Vuelta/Mata. It's a pleasure after all these years to finally feel like I have a chance to get a grip on blending.

Josh Smith

Opus junkie
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That Vuelta Abajo is damn damp for filler. When I tubed it up, I got plugged sticks. Tasted great, but the draw collapsed.
Found a good answer:

Kinda looks like a hole, but it's one tubed leaf of black Mata Fina down the center. Here's the cherry end:

And the flavor! Holy crap! Truth: Someone sent me a pair of $28 Fuente Fuente Opus X last Fall, I forget why. Before the Super Bowl, I nubbed one of these Vuelta/Matas ROTT. After the EAGLES won the Super Bowl, I sparked up an Opus X. For my taste, I'll take that Vuelta/Mata. It's a pleasure after all these years to finally feel like I have a chance to get a grip on blending.
This is why I've been looking into rolling. I've spent untold dollars on opus and padron Davidoff and others of course. Yet the more I read you guys are enjoying your cigars as much as I enjoy the ones I've spent ridiculous prices for. People ask me why I spend the money well honestly people speak of cheaper cigars that are as good as opus that dont carry the price tag. However when buying these sticks or being bombed in massive attacks. I find them to be copycats that are almost there but meh still lacking. The more threads i look at and more videos I watch on rolling my own cigars. I've been called a cigar snob and told I had more money than sense. My reply has always maybe you just don't have enough to buy the same cigars as me and you want to make yourself feel good about your cheap yard gar. That's just not true though. Thats just an asshole reply to an asshole statement. Naturally I feel that the decision to start dabbling in rolling is because i know what flavors i like and damn sure chase. Im tired of having to burn up 20 plus dollars just to be satisfied. No I dont need to be bombed please i have more cigars than a man needs. I just don't really know how to get started. I'm lost in a sea full of info. Help please.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Found a good answer:

For your taste, what binder and wrapper did you use on that thing?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sometimes ya gotta wonder. I just read this about the LO Cubra: "This leaf is dark in color, yet not overly thick. While slightly reminiscent of other Brazilian leaf, these leaves are smaller and tend to have a slightly spicy taste. "
Because, smaller than what? A refrigerator? These are the biggest filler WLT or LO has carried in the last three years that I've been buying.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Sometimes ya gotta wonder. I just read this about the LO Cubra: "This leaf is dark in color, yet not overly thick. While slightly reminiscent of other Brazilian leaf, these leaves are smaller and tend to have a slightly spicy taste. "
Because, smaller than what? A refrigerator? These are the biggest filler WLT or LO has carried in the last three years that I've been buying.
Brah, LO just copy pastes descriptions

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
This is why I've been looking into rolling. I've spent untold dollars on opus and padron Davidoff and others of course. Yet the more I read you guys are enjoying your cigars as much as I enjoy the ones I've spent ridiculous prices for. People ask me why I spend the money well honestly people speak of cheaper cigars that are as good as opus that dont carry the price tag. However when buying these sticks or being bombed in massive attacks. I find them to be copycats that are almost there but meh still lacking. The more threads i look at and more videos I watch on rolling my own cigars. I've been called a cigar snob and told I had more money than sense. My reply has always maybe you just don't have enough to buy the same cigars as me and you want to make yourself feel good about your cheap yard gar. That's just not true though. Thats just an asshole reply to an asshole statement. Naturally I feel that the decision to start dabbling in rolling is because i know what flavors i like and damn sure chase. Im tired of having to burn up 20 plus dollars just to be satisfied. No I dont need to be bombed please i have more cigars than a man needs. I just don't really know how to get started. I'm lost in a sea full of info. Help please.
Do itttttt... but you won't save money in this game do it for fun, not a means to an end

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Help please.
Order a blend kit from wholeleaftobbaco.com. Costs about thirty clams.
Watch this and dive on in.
If you like the experience, go order quarter pounds of everything that interests you at leafonly.com, & start experimenting.
Keep in touch on this forum

Here's a vid made expressly for raw beginners:

Do itttttt... but you won't save money in this game
Bull. I can roll my fave coronas for about 80 cents apiece. Churchills may set me back a buck or buck twenty apiece.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
LO Olor seco binder.
WLT Criollo 98 wrapper
Thanks.
I might as well confess here in the Leaf Review section that I don't like that wrapper at all. And it's got nothing to do with the myth that I don't like strong cigars. It just tastes bad to me.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks.
I might as well confess here in the Leaf Review section that I don't like that wrapper at all, whereas I can think of at least five guys here (you, Nic, MarcL, Brewin, and that dude who CNCs molds). And it's got nothing to do with the myth that I don't like strong cigars. It just tastes bad to me.
I used to have that same opinion. But as you know, things vary widely from batch to batch. This batch I scored just before Christmas. Like it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I used to have that same opinion. But as you know, things vary widely from batch to batch. This batch I scored just before Christmas. Like it.
I had to totally edit my post because after I had a nice cigar and coffee this a.m. I remembered that Nic didn't like it either, and that it was actually the Corojo O that Brewin liked. And that it might actually have been the Corojo that CNC Guy liked. And MarcL has never said he likes it; he just uses it a lot. It's very pretty.

Josh Smith

Opus junkie
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you like the experience, go order quarter pounds of everything that interests you at leafonly.com, & start experimenting.

Bull. I can roll my fave coronas for about 80 cents apiece. Churchills may set me back a buck or buck twenty apiece.
Maybe a little bit more honesty. I wanna see if I can blend something that fits the things I like. I don't expect my noob self to roll my mecca but hell its a goal that looks like fun.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0

More the cost of learning, after a year you can make that argument that it's cheaper :)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Maybe a little bit more honesty. I wanna see if I can blend something that fits the things I like. I don't expect my noob self to roll my mecca but hell its a goal that looks like fun.
It does take a while before you can narrow down what combo of leaves you like. By the time you do that, an ingredient may not be available. But once you do hit on nirvana, you can go ahead and stockpile a bunch of them.

You do run thru a pocketful of bucks trying out leaves you don't like. But that's no different from running thru barrels of bucks trying out store bought sticks you don't like.

Josh Smith

Opus junkie
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It does take a while before you can narrow down what combo of leaves you like. By the time you do that, an ingredient may not be available. But once you do hit on nirvana, you can go ahead and stockpile a bunch of them.

You do run thru a pocketful of bucks trying out leaves you don't like. But that's no different from running thru barrels of bucks trying out store bought sticks you don't like.
More the cost of learning, after a year you can make that argument that it's cheaper :)

It's not like I'm gonna smoke through what I already have at the same rate. if I'm trying out my own. I'm definitely going to keep track of cost hell I'm curious about thay.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Seems like every ct shade leaf I pull from the bag of my first kit order has tons of holes in it. This thin-ass delicate leaf really isn't what I want anyway, the more I get into cigars and rolling. What are some good recommendations for dark, thicker wrapper leaf, currently?

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Seems like every ct shade leaf I pull from the bag of my first kit order has tons of holes in it. This thin-ass delicate leaf really isn't what I want anyway, the more I get into cigars and rolling. What are some good recommendations for dark, thicker wrapper leaf, currently?
Ecuador habano ligero, thank me later :)