What's new

Let's see your truck thread

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab (or crew cab as other makers call it), brand new off the lot with the V6 Tow Package and the TRD Off Road Package. She can tow max 6500 lbs. Stock without that package would've only been 5,000 lbs. My only upgrades if you'd like to call them that is my 2 front windows were tinted to match the back windows and added a BakFlip G2 bed cover. Been thinking about lifting it a few inches but can't come to terms how nice she rides without being lifted and the way I make some extremely sharp turns (sometimes) and manage to stay on all 4 wheels lol. The pictures I'm sharing are from when I first purchased the truck.

Really like the grey. Tacoma's seem like a truck where it only makes sense to buy new because they hold their value so well. I remember looking used and it was crazy how expensive they were. Whether you keep it for the long haul or sell it, you're gonna make out.(y)

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I bought my Dakota to use as a truck, not a daily. Should've found a beater 3/4ton or even a full-size half ton instead, for what I did with her. But for $1000 in 2010, I figured I'd get my money's worth. And I have.

But this year I've put $1800 into it (made the mistake of paying someone to work on it when it was too cold to be outside. First and last time I'll ever pay someone to work on my cars) and its really pushing the limits. Frames rusty, cant trust it to tow or haul, so basically I've got a 16mpg car... never meant for it to be my daily driver, but I always found an excuse to take the truck, and sold my civic way too cheap.

So I'm in the market for a sub $20k truck, this time needs 4wd as the Dakota has needed to be rescued from my yard with the wife's Subaru multiple times, and would like to see a realistic 17-18 mpg.

My dad bought a '15 GMC with the 6.2 and its pushing 17-18 city and a solid 23-25 hwy. But, it was 60k... tows really nicely though.

Unless another good deal falls in my lap I'll be looking for '10-'12 Taco in the near future. Found one with the 4cyl for a deal locally, but I need to be able to tow racecar and trailer (5000ish) my Dakota has the same power as the 4cyl Taco, but I have a feeling it wouldn't pull the same.
Towing 5,000 lbs you'll want at least a six (and that's a modern six which are much more powerful, even more than the old smaller 8's). That four will struggle and if you have to go uphill for any reason, forget it. You may want to look at the six cyl frontier. They have 260 hp and rated for 6,000. Still, I'd probably suggest a 1500 series size to tow that. Mine is rated for 7,500lb towing, and I'm towing my 3,000 lb camper for the first time with the new truck this weekend, I'll let you know how it works out.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Towing 5,000 lbs you'll want at least a six (and that's a modern six which are much more powerful, even more than the old smaller 8's). That four will struggle and if you have to go uphill for any reason, forget it. You may want to look at the six cyl frontier. They have 260 hp and rated for 6,000. Still, I'd probably suggest a 1500 series size to tow that. Mine is rated for 7,500lb towing, and I'm towing my 3,000 lb camper for the first time with the new truck this weekend, I'll let you know how it works out.
My Dakota was 3500 I believe, but with the 5 speed and 3.90 rear end it did ok with the race trailer. Only pull 4-5 times a year, flat land, and only about 150 miles each way.
Recalculated my weight, trailer is 2200 and car is 1900 dry, so with spares and tools and coolers, probably only 4500. The 4 banger would make maintenance so much easier, but I know I should find a v6.

The Frontier, they're ok, but I like the looks of the Taco so much more

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Really like the grey. Tacoma's seem like a truck where it only makes sense to buy new because they hold their value so well. I remember looking used and it was crazy how expensive they were. Whether you keep it for the long haul or sell it, you're gonna make out.(y)
You're better off brand new. They offered me close to what I've paid for off the lot 3 years ago and said they hold their value pretty damn good. I love my Taco and wouldn't give her up for anything!

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Just got back from the first camping trip of the year. Towed my rig like a dream (although it's only 3,000 lbs). Mostly flat land towing, but I got over 14 mpg which is about the same as my older Ford with towing nothing. These new engines (from all the manufacturers) are great for gas mileage and power. Oh yeah, 5 cigars in a day and a half.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
My "truck"
'09 X Terra O/R with 6spd. Has 130K on it. Hopefully get 200-250K with ease. Removed all of the mud flaps and currently has 33" BFG A/Ts with ride height. E-Locker and Bilsteins. No mods other than some Shrockworks frame sliders and skid plates.

Love the xterra's. They've kept the look for so long because it works so well and has remained a nice looking truck. Plus body on frame, gotta love it. I was saddened when the pathfinder went to unibody. Although, that's what 90 percent of people want now.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Thanks for the comment. I had a 2000 X that lasted 200K but the tranny started to slip some hence why I went with a manual. Replacing a clutch is cheaper than rebuilding a slushbox! Went to an Explorer but it started to deteriorate rather quickly.

I think it is time to go through the suspension soon. The rear hops when I'm in a turn and hit some uneven pavement and my traction control lights up. Not enough rebound in the shocks left it seems like. I have never owned a car without a solid axle.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Thanks for the comment. I had a 2000 X that lasted 200K but the tranny started to slip some hence why I went with a manual. Replacing a clutch is cheaper than rebuilding a slushbox! Went to an Explorer but it started to deteriorate rather quickly.

I think it is time to go through the suspension soon. The rear hops when I'm in a turn and hit some uneven pavement and my traction control lights up. Not enough rebound in the shocks left it seems like. I have never owned a car without a solid axle.
I exclusively drove manuals and loved them. 94 ram, 93 Protege, 00 Integra GS-R, 03 Altima. I had to give it up when I got married and bought a house with a single driveway.

My truck is a van, 2000 Ford E150. I have had pickups for my haulers for a while and three years ago decided to try a van. Loading a motorcycle solo is a breeze. I doubt I will ever go back to a pickup.

I miss those old conversion vans, you don't see them much anymore.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Vans RULE for toys.

Got a friend with a V10 Ford van as his race hauler/sleeping quarters.

Another buddy with a 7.4 powerstroke van as race support/people hauler

I've been giving vans consideration for my next truck since they're usually cheaper, and will do most of what I want, but I don't know if I'm willing to go without 4wd again. And they're a bit more of a pain to work on the engine.

Went to look at a F150 locally last weekend. On a dealer lot for a more than fair price (07, 150k, 4d 4wd 5.4 and tow pkg for 11k) But, dealership wouldn't budge, wanted them to do the 5.4 spark plug service, or knock off 500 for me to do it myself. They wouldn't do either, so I walked. Not buying a Ford 5.4 without that.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Vans RULE for toys.

Got a friend with a V10 Ford van as his race hauler/sleeping quarters.

Another buddy with a 7.4 powerstroke van as race support/people hauler

I've been giving vans consideration for my next truck since they're usually cheaper, and will do most of what I want, but I don't know if I'm willing to go without 4wd again. And they're a bit more of a pain to work on the engine.

Went to look at a F150 locally last weekend. On a dealer lot for a more than fair price (07, 150k, 4d 4wd 5.4 and tow pkg for 11k) But, dealership wouldn't budge, wanted them to do the 5.4 spark plug service, or knock off 500 for me to do it myself. They wouldn't do either, so I walked. Not buying a Ford 5.4 without that.
Yes, the spark plug issue is HUGE. My mechanic did my 06 for about $400. He said, 7 of them broke. Glad I did research first, I would have been screwed if I did it on my own. When I traded my truck in I included the receipt for the repair to pass on to the new owner. Also had a clogged cat which is common. Thankfully, I had 2 months left on the federal emissions warranty. I tossed about $2000 into repairs in the final year and at 70,000 I sadly traded it in. I just lost faith with the truck with my family and I sometimes camping in the middle of nowhere. It's weird, I've heard of guys having to put a new engine in at 80,000 and some with no issues up to 200,000 miles. A friend of mine has a 07 f150 with minimal issues.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As for vans you will all have to look used if you want a traditional van. All 3 domestics have either stopped making them or will be this year.

As for my truck I have a rusty but trusty 2000 Durango 5.2 4wd. It has CAI and an aftermarket muffler I dig it
20141029_180831(1).jpg