What's new

My Uzi Weighs a Ton

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
All I needed to hear was 7x60 to pass the fact it's a Drew Estates stick will make me run. Not to mention this is the dumbest cigar name i've ever heard.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Smoked the 6x60 last night. Mix between a padron complexity and a fuente floral backround. Smoking the 7x60 tonight. Somewhat more muted in flavors. Towards the start of the second 3rd of the 7x60 a huge hit chocolate undertones came thru. My complaints are:
The 6x60 was like drawing air way underfilled
The 7x60 even though it drew perfect got bitter right after the second 3rd.
In fact both were bitter in the second halves with slow draws during smoking. Love the chocolate notes and overall complexity in the 6. But right now Id go for a t52 over these. Thanks for the samples jd and T!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what's up with the name? I know it's a public enemy song, but why?
Last November, a group of us were with Jon at the JdN factory when Mario Perez (the GM of JdN) indicated to Jon that the cigars which incorporated his suggested changes were being rolled at that very moment. Jon took one right off the bench, lit it up and his face just went "BOO-YAH!". Jon then asks for Mario's OK to hand these cigars out to us. Someone, Scott ("keinreis") possibly, when handed the cigar made the comment "My Uzi weighs a ton." That was the first use of the phrase in reference to the JdN cigars.

It wasn't even the same cigar back then, that cigar was an Antanio 1970 capa with a Connecticut shade capote and a tweaked Antanio 1970 filler blend, but, coming right off the bench, these 52 x 5" cigars were so wet and heavy the name stuck and it looks like Jon has been reusing it since.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Last November, a group of us were with Jon at the JdN factory when Mario Perez (the GM of JdN) indicated to Jon that the cigars which incorporated his suggested changes were being rolled at that very moment. Jon took one right off the bench, lit it up and his face just went "BOO-YAH!". Jon then asks for Mario's OK to hand these cigars out to us. Someone, Scott ("keinreis") possibly, when handed the cigar made the comment "My Uzi weighs a ton." That was the first use of the phrase in reference to the JdN cigars.

It wasn't even the same cigar back then, that cigar was an Antanio 1970 capa with a Connecticut shade capote and a tweaked Antanio 1970 filler blend, but, coming right off the bench, these 52 x 5" cigars were so wet and heavy the name stuck and it looks like Jon has been reusing it since.
Cool story and all....but IMHO this is one of those situations where the name should have stayed as an inside joke. It just doesn't work outside of the story you mentioned, and frankly kind of sucks. Also the 7x60 size is just ridiculous.

Jadawin

Drew Estate Cigars
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I really like the name, its something kind of funny and sure catches your attention. As far as the size goes, if you dont like it, dont smoke it! This isnt a size i really enjoy either, but there is definitely a market for these monster cigars.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Love the name. I love rap music and hip hop culture, so to have a cigar with a cool story and a unique name related to one of the greatest rap groups ever is cool in my opinion. I'm sure cigar lingo will dumb it down to just the "Uzi". So no love lost here. Bring it on Jonathan. I'm sure I'll give it a crack at least once, but I am not one to smoke these regularly or often.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Anyone know what's up with the name? I know it's a public enemy song, but why?
I thought it was pretty obvious why it could be named that. Damn, it's a 7x60. Probably at least a half pound of tobacco. Plus Jonathan is obviously a fan of hip hop, therefore the name "My uzi weighs a ton." Clear as mud?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hot damn, I love this board.

About to write .... That I am up nice and early and my first productive function of the day will be posting on the BOTL, then I looked at my watch. Holy cow, Fatman, it's 10.30am and I promised Mr. Cheif Havana (from Twitter fame) that I would help him rent a car in Managua for the festival at 11am. But now I know why I feel so tired .... At Cesar Gadea's house last night and he gifted me a 3+ year old Padron 80th Natural toward the end of the night, so of course I couldn't refuse, and this led to more Spanish and Italian wine drinking. Man, that 80th was the bomb smoke ...!

And that's the point of "My UZI Weighs a Ton". It's about dropping a bomb, whether you, me, he or she, likes the size or not - that ain't the point. Originally, I was looking at making a 6x60, but then I said F- it, if I'm going there, might as well go for the bomb diggy and tried out the 7x60. As a matter of fat, I was never a 6x60 smoker until I tried the Gran Cojonu before they got released and I went to Pepins little fabricata with Jeff from Corona on my way to a cruise vacation. I was blown away. Jeff keep asking me why the only damn thing I was smoking was Tats, and I said to him that they rock and kindly persuaded him to carry the brand at Corona Cigar Company. And he did. What's the point? Another interesting example, I am a lover of the 6x52 and 5x50 as my go to sizes. It was Saka and Nicholas' Melillo's work on the Dirty Rat that inspired me to smoke those Coronas stick after stick.

Now I'm not suggesting that I still smoke that many, Gran Cojonus, but I certainly smoke my fair share of Tats, as its one of my favorites for sure. And I'm not suggesting that UZI is going to inspire every Lancero guy to become a 7x60 guy ... No way. But, I can tell you this with utmost certainty - I am having fun with it. With all these talented, creative guys now at Drew Estate doing solid jobs, and new degrees of professionalism all around me, I have to still keep it fun for me - and UZI is an emblem of that. Interestingly, after listening to a lot of the advice and interest on this board and others, I am thinking of expanding the idea past one size only. I like the idea of working that Brazil Mata filler and Mexican San Andreas Capa at Joya de Nicaragua. It's shaking things up over there, and they are dealing with it kindly. They are even getting inspired.

Anyway, I never write posts this long. God bless you guys and now it's time for some Dim Sum at Tropical Chinese in Miami. Then, immediately after, a new EP Carillo that Ernesto is making just for the kid, banded and all ...