What's new

NC vs CC

If the embargo was lifted, which cigars would make up the bulk of your reserve?

• Cuban

Votes: 97 39.6%
  • Non Cuban

Votes: 148 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Should the embargo be lifted, would expect nc's to lift up their game another notch. To stay competitive, quality and value especially at the midrange price points should improve. taxes are the wildcard.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should the embargo be lifted, would expect nc's to lift up their game another notch. To stay competitive, quality and value especially at the midrange price points should improve. taxes are the wildcard.

Initially, nc's probably wouldn't even bother with trying to lift their quality.

No matter what they do, in the months/1 or 2 years after the embargo lifting, most would be buying cubans, if just for the curiosity factor. Cuban prices would skyrocket. NC prices would have to drop in relation to weather the storm while waiting for the market to equalize.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Initially, nc's probably wouldn't even bother with trying to lift their quality.

No matter what they do, in the months/1 or 2 years after the embargo lifting, most would be buying cubans, if just for the curiosity factor. Cuban prices would skyrocket. NC prices would have to drop in relation to weather the storm while waiting for the market to equalize.
Good point. Highend nc buyers have ready access to cc's already and would continue to buy their fave nc's. Doubt cubans would initially enter the low end market in a big way until their tobacco production ramps up.

The challenge would be in the midrange. Agree that if nc's can't/won't increase perceived quality in the midrange, the easiest way to give better value is to lower prices. But if taxes/tariffs continue to ramp up and are uniformly applied per stick regardless of retail/wholesale prices per stick, nc's may find it increasingly difficult to differentiate using price.

There should be certain segments though that nc's will continue to dominate until cc's catch up- Maduros is one large category that comes to mind.

Thanks for the opportunity to play armchair cigar general :tiphat:

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
CC's are good, the few I've had, so I would likely try and experiment (what I'm doing now anyways) and see if it is something I would want to get more into. At the moment I've been loving Nicaraguan tobacco, so I'm sure I would always like to keep that around.

It would probably end up being 75 NC 25 CC.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I have my preferred type of cigar and ccs fit in nicely for the most part. But, it is just hard to beat the consistent quality coming out of Nicaragua, DR and Honduras. I think that I would just end up buying a lot more cigars in the short run.. Spending even more money than I normally do, pile up a lot more great cigars and in the end the distinction would quit being such a big deal.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
There is a number of contributing factors.

1. Cuban cigars were known as the best cigars in the world pre-revolution.During the revolution a lot of cigar families fled Cuba to produce cigars in countries such as Nicaragua, Honduras, etc. Since then Domestic cigars have continued to evolve and increase in quality. It's safe to say a lot of the best cigars in the world are made outside of Cuba these days. We got it down to a science.

2. Part of the whole mystique behind Cuban cigars in the United States is that they are illegals. I've heard quite some entertaining rumors over the years from non-cigar smokers such as "They put cocaine in Cuban cigars". They are the forbidden fruit which adds to the desire for them.

3. If Cuban cigars were being distributed to the United States, their price point would shoot up dramatically. We would be looking at most Cuban cigars in the $10.00 to $50.00 price range. No way I'm paying that price tag.

Maybe its just me but I'm not all to crazy about Cubans. I think they are great cigars, but not one I had would make my top 10 cigars. Bolivar Petite Corona would be close though.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Smoke what you like, like what you smoke...there are lots of good cigars out there.

For me, I smoke 99% Cuban, and will continue to do so after the embargo ends...that's what I like.

MiamiE

Herfing 24/7
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I can't comment on the older Habanos but a lot of older smokers have told me the last couple years have not been good for Habanos when compared to older stock. The domestic market has come around big time in quality.

Bowhnter

Backyard Smoker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't even bother trying to get new CC any more. Most everything (about 10) I have had tried has been too tight and not worth the effort to me now.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I can't comment on the older Habanos but a lot of older smokers have told me the last couple years have not been good for Habanos when compared to older stock. The domestic market has come around big time in quality.
Eric, that's actually the polar opposite of what my friends are saying, Brother. The late '08 and '09 cigars have been wonderful in general. :yes: