What's new

NC vs CC

If the embargo was lifted, which cigars would make up the bulk of your reserve?

• Cuban

Votes: 97 39.6%
  • Non Cuban

Votes: 148 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think that's one of those thing's that will depend on each individual smoker. Personally, I don't agree with the above as there is a taste that I get from CCs that does not exist from NCs. Plenty of awesome NCs out there with GREAT quality, but they still can't take the place of Cuban tobacco.
/agree. there is just something with that taste that cant be matched.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
For sixty bucks or less? Because that's what I'm currently paying per box of NCs.
Depends on what cigars you smoke, I guess. The NCs I like best are well over $100 a box, often a lot more.

But it the cigars you enjoy most are $60 a box, that is awesome! Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Depends on what cigars you smoke, I guess. The NCs I like best are well over $100 a box, often a lot more.
You need to try more NC's then. I know they don't make you sound as cool as smoking CC's, but there are plenty of boxes well worth the money for under $100.00.

:frownno:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
You need to try more NC's then. I know they don't make you sound as cool as smoking CC's, but there are plenty of boxes well worth the money for under $100.00.

Yeah, I smoke CCs because they make me sound cool. Get real. :agreeclen

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0

I think the biggest thing you said here I pointed out. There are a lot of guys who smoke only/mostly NC cigars and still don't look for the cheapest thing out there. I am sure there are lots of sticks that are worth the $4 a stick, doesnt mean I want to smoke them. Taste buds may go into revolt:tiphat:

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I think the biggest thing you said here I pointed out. There are a lot of guys who smoke only/mostly NC cigars and still don't look for the cheapest thing out there. I am sure there are lots of sticks that are worth the $4 a stick, doesnt mean I want to smoke them. Taste buds may go into revolt:tiphat:
5 minutes worth of deal hunting found me this.

Padron 2000 Maduro. Around $85.00 a box.
Oliva G Maduro and Cameroon. Around $40.00 a box.
Oliva V. Around $100.00 a box.
Alec Bradley Sun Grown. $55.00 a box.
5 Vegas 'A' Anomaly. $45.00 a box.
Don Pepin Cuban Classic. $95.00 a box.
CAO Brazilia, Italia, America, Criollo, VR, Black, Gold, Gold Maduro, La Traviata, La Traviata Maduro, Mx2, Cx2, Lx2. Between $60.00 to $100.00 for a box.

The list goes on and on...

Also one of the great things about NC cigars is the deals. You can find great deals all over the place. Samplers are nice as well to expand your horizons and get a good price.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How about if money is no option and he doesn't care if they are over $100, and that is the flavor he enjoys.
Who cares if chocolate is cheaper if you prefer vanilla?

Last edited:

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
5 minutes worth of deal hunting found me this.

Padron 2000 Maduro. Around $85.00 a box.
Oliva G Maduro and Cameroon. Around $40.00 a box.
Oliva V. Around $100.00 a box.
Alec Bradley Sun Grown. $55.00 a box.
5 Vegas 'A' Anomaly. $45.00 a box.
Don Pepin Cuban Classic. $95.00 a box.
CAO Brazilia, Italia, America, Criollo, VR, Black, Gold, Gold Maduro, La Traviata, La Traviata Maduro, Mx2, Cx2, Lx2. Between $60.00 to $100.00 for a box.

The list goes on and on...

Also one of the great things about NC cigars is the deals. You can find great deals all over the place. Samplers are nice as well to expand your horizons and get a good price.

Not trying to pick on any cigars but I have tried most of those and the only one I would choose to re smoke is the Oliva V series. The Pepin CC are not bad but they need more time then a real cuban before they are enjoyable to me. Not that any of them are bad cigars but if you take price out of the equation there are much better cigars out there. While all of these are ok you can get PL petite coronas, and many other smaller vitola's, which in my opinion out shine the cigars listed, for as little as $3 a stick. Other thing is I truly believe in Great B&M's so I prefer not to deal with the big online guys. So in markets that carry both on an even term, like here in Canada, generaly Cuban cigars offer more bang for your buck. I am ok with paying a little extra for the ability to support what I believe to be one of the best assets a cigar smoker has not only in knowledge but in supporting our rights as smokers.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
For sixty bucks or less? Because that's what I'm currently paying per box of NCs.
Touche, there are many Non-Cuban cigars that sell for $60, or ever $25 a bundle. But I am not smoking those too often. When I see a Limited Edition Box of Viajes go for $250, I think to myself A box of PSD4 for $190, RASS for $135 ETC.

If you are smoking $2-$3 cigars then there is not much in the Cuban Range that can be had. But if you are buying sticks between $5-$8 then a bunch of Cuban stuff lands right there. And if you like the Tatuaje/VIaje Limited release stuff that sells for $10-$15 Then you can buy almost any Cuban you want. Chit man, some of the Non Cuban Stuff like Opus, Padron and Davidoff sell for $15-$20 a stick, so yeah not many Cubans out there more expensive than that.

There was a conversation about watches the other day that was discussing at what price does a watch become “high end”. My thoughts are once it surpasses where the average person is willing to spend for a watch it enters the “high end” range. But in the end expensive is subjective, and really lies on what you are willing to pay for a cigar. If you are perfectly happy and content smoking the cigars you smoke, no matter how much/little they cost, then more power to you.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
That was exactly my thought when I saw the list.
Really? If someone offered you a Padron 2000 you would refuse it because it doesn't meet your standards? Same with Oliva G.

I spoke about this earlier elsewhere, but when people give 9/10 cigars they smoke a negative review, maybe you don't really like smoking cigars?

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Really? If someone offered you a Padron 2000 you would refuse it because it doesn't meet your standards? Same with Oliva G.

I spoke about this earlier elsewhere, but when people give 9/10 cigars they smoke a negative review, maybe you don't really like smoking cigars?
nickerson... that is clearly not what he said you are just twisting words and spinning, it seems you take any chance you can to tangle with icehog... and frankly i have no idea what its all about but it is getting old

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Smoking is as much about the social aspect for me as it is about the cigars...so if a friend offers me a Padron 2000, I would smoke t.

Have you ever read my reviews? Probably 80% positive. Was the "maybe you don't really like smoking cigars" meant for me, or a general statement? I think anyone who knows me personally knows how much I love cigars, and even more, BOTLs and SOTLs of all kinds.

Like Sam said, seems like you like to try to bait me into your nonsense. Out of respect for the Mods and great members here, I will pass on your "invite".

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
nickerson... that is clearly not what he said you are just twisting words and spinning, it seems you take any chance you can to tangle with icehog... and frankly i have no idea what its all about but it is getting old
I don't care if someone likes Habano's. I like Habano's. I don't care if they prefer Habano's over Domestic cigars.

Just find it annoying when a person does it because they have a superiority complex and need to feel superior to others. I've seen Ice on various forums since I started using forums 3 years ago and though he smokes about 95% Cuban's he ends up finding his way into discussions about Domestic cigars and trying to speak down to those who think it is a good cigar while he insists that the Cuban's he smokes are far superior as if it makes him superior for smoking them.

Kind of reminds me of kids who smoke pot and drink beer to seem cool to the other kids, or a guy who is having a mid life crises who goes out and buys a Corvette. Just kind of cliche and corny. Get's old faster than me responding to the one of his fifty daily posts amongst the 5 or so forums he uses every 5 months or so.

;)

By the way, what he said was he agreed with another persons post "my thoughts exactly" and the person said they would NOT re-visit another cigar on the list other than the Oliva V. Which means he would NOT smoke any of the cigars on the list other than the Oliva V. It's right there set in stone.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
How about if money is no option and he doesn't care if they are over $100, and that is the flavor he enjoys.
Who cares if chocolate is cheaper if you prefer vanilla?
Well in your analogy Cuban's are all Vanilla and Domestic cigars are Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Banana, Grape, Pizza, Pickles, etc. etc. ;)

I just named a few examples of good cigars for under $100.00 a box when there aren't very many Cuban cigars worth speaking of. There are plenty of Domestic cigars worth mentioning. When you get into the $100.00-$200.00 price range then the options for Cuban's certainly opens up. However so do the options for Domestic cigars.

I think dprice's post a few posts up made the most sense when it comes to my view on Cuban's.

Touche, there are many Non-Cuban cigars that sell for $60, or ever $25 a bundle. But I am not smoking those too often. When I see a Limited Edition Box of Viajes go for $250, I think to myself A box of PSD4 for $190, RASS for $135 ETC.

If you are smoking $2-$3 cigars then there is not much in the Cuban Range that can be had. But if you are buying sticks between $5-$8 then a bunch of Cuban stuff lands right there. And if you like the Tatuaje/VIaje Limited release stuff that sells for $10-$15 Then you can buy almost any Cuban you want. Chit man, some of the Non Cuban Stuff like Opus, Padron and Davidoff sell for $15-$20 a stick, so yeah not many Cubans out there more expensive than that.
Only thing I would add is there are also good Non-Cuban cigars in the same $5-$8 price range of a lot of good Cubans. OpusX, Liga Privada No9 and t52, Padron 1926 and 1964, Oliva V, Ashton VSG, Los Blanco's Nine, Diamond Crown Maximus, several Illusione's, Aurora 107, La Riqueza, El Truinfador, Cabaiguan, DPG My Father Le Bijou, DPG Blue, DPG Series JJ Maduro, B&G Entubar, E.P. Carillo Core Line, La Aroma de Cuba EE, La Flor Dominicana Ligero and Double Ligero, etc.

I'm sure I missed a LOT of good cigars in that price range, just gave it 5-10 mins.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Not trying to pick on any cigars but I have tried most of those and the only one I would choose to re smoke is the Oliva V series.
That was exactly my thought when I saw the list.
By the way, what he said was he agreed with another persons post "my thoughts exactly" and the person said they would NOT re-visit another cigar on the list other than the Oliva V. Which means he would NOT smoke any of the cigars on the list other than the Oliva V. It's right there set in stone.
this is exactly the sort of thing i was talking about... if you honestly read the quotes above i am sure that you will realize that what you are saying is incorrect. and it seems that you are intentionally misrepresenting what others are saying , which is annoying.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
this is exactly the sort of thing i was talking about... if you honestly read the quotes above i am sure that you will realize that what you are saying is incorrect. and it seems that you are intentionally misrepresenting what others are saying , which is annoying.
Do you have a reading disorder? Just curious.

:sleep:

It's black and white.