What's new

NC vs CC

If the embargo was lifted, which cigars would make up the bulk of your reserve?

• Cuban

Votes: 97 39.6%
  • Non Cuban

Votes: 148 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MiamiE

Herfing 24/7
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
The 08's were excellent, and its the bulk of what I have, but the '09 and '10 is just not as good, IMO.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
The 08's were excellent, and its the bulk of what I have, but the '09 and '10 is just not as good, IMO.
What have you been smoking besides the Monte #2s, Eric? I am curious as to what you have been having bad experiences with.

MiamiE

Herfing 24/7
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
What have you been smoking besides the Monte #2s, Eric? I am curious as to what you have been having bad experiences with.
Monte 2's, and 5's. RyJ Short Churchills, JL 2's, Mag 46's, and PSD4's. All have been meh for me. I know they're young, but the construction has been terrible on a few of these as well. Maybe it's me!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm about 75% NC/25% CC roughly? :dunno:

As far as I'm concerned... Viva la Nicaragua!!! :cbig:

Never been infatuated by the forbidden leaf. There are some I really like, some that are my faves, & some that I could care less for... Same goes for NC's. :yes:

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Lately I've noticed my smoking habits towards NC's. Not really sure why, either.

It goes in cycles for me, though. Earlier last year the twang was all I'd smoke.

Glad there's both to choose from!

ahbroody

Daddy X3
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Eric, that's actually the polar opposite of what my friends are saying, Brother. The late '08 and '09 cigars have been wonderful in general. :yes:
I would count myself as your friend and agree with the statement. 08 09 10 stuff is better and better.

Most would say this is because production is down, and the tobacco reserves are allowing older tobacco to be used so it is smoking very well fresh. I believe the tobacco being used these says has been sitting 3 years. As production is down factories are getting the leaf they need.

Current Humi is 80%cc 20% Nicaraguan . Most nic stuff I have is all special production stuff. I am hoping the embargo stays for atleast 5 more years so I can grow my collection more. Bad things will happen if the embargo ends to quality.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Unless the quality of Cuban cigars dramatically increased across the board, I don't think the construction and QC compare with top lines like Padron, Fuente, Oliva, Tatuaje, etc.

Last edited:

Deemancpa

Hook'em Horns
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I split time between two countries.....all cc on the island, with a few freebies from Greycliff. US, I'm 50-50. So, is that 150%-50%?

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
assuming quality didn't drop or prices skyrocket due to additional demand, I'd go with CC. Nica tobacco is enjoyable, and I really like Dominican... but I'd go with CCs.

Chubno

Old Fart
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's lifted I think having Cuban cigars will be like having a Harley. I think a lot of it is just the name. There is nothing wrong with a Harley but you can get a lot more motorcycle for the money in other brands. Cubans are good but I think you will be able to get the same quality or better in other brands. For me it all comes down to what you want out of it.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I think that the price we pay in the states would drop slightly before going back to where they are now or possibly a little more but not too much. The CCs people get in this country take a trip around the world before they reach your hands. That costs money. Compare that with a boat trip of less than eighty miles to the mainland. The European companies that send the smokes add a hefty mark up since we have limited options. We can't just say screw you and go to our local shop. The profit margin is so lucrative that organized crime groups smuggle them in as well. Take out all the middlemen and shipping costs and I think it won't be so bad. Unless the government puts unreal tariffs on them...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If it's lifted I think having Cuban cigars will be like having a Harley. I think a lot of it is just the name. There is nothing wrong with a Harley but you can get a lot more motorcycle for the money in other brands. Cubans are good but I think you will be able to get the same quality or better in other brands. For me it all comes down to what you want out of it.
I think that's one of those thing's that will depend on each individual smoker. Personally, I don't agree with the above as there is a taste that I get from CCs that does not exist from NCs. Plenty of awesome NCs out there with GREAT quality, but they still can't take the place of Cuban tobacco.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try some Cubans if I could, but until then, I cannot say what my humi would contain.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
There are too many quality sticks coming out of Nicaragua for me to consider better than 20% of my inventory coming from Cuba.

Now if they were to give the Padron Family or Pepin access to some leaves and that'd make a great blend and then the pendulum might swing.