What's new

New fathers

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
From what I have seen (from our friends that had a child that wore a cap) is that it is used to help shape the skull back to where it should be.
Oh gotcha! Thanks for the info. I wasnt sure if it was for something like that or a protective helment.That has to be rough on the parent to go through but at least its a somewhat quick recovery. Modern medicine is amazing. I had a close friend in h.s. that was special needs and he was ordered to wear a helment. He always hung around the rotc rooms with us and he and I would do some weightlifting at the gym occasionally. He hated the helment and would never wear it. I always gave him a push down the hall when he was in his wheel chair and I walked by. He had such an amazing out look on life. Its funny how us that have perfect health are always starving for wants and vanity and here's some one that should have died at birth and could die any day now and just fights through it and all they want it just to keep breathing and to make friends. We can learn so much from them.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh gotcha! Thanks for the info. I wasnt sure if it was for something like that or a protective helment.That has to be rough on the parent to go through but at least its a somewhat quick recovery. Modern medicine is amazing. I had a close friend in h.s. that was special needs and he was ordered to wear a helment. He always hung around the rotc rooms with us and he and I would do some weightlifting at the gym occasionally. He hated the helment and would never wear it. I always gave him a push down the hall when he was in his wheel chair and I walked by. He had such an amazing out look on life. Its funny how us that have perfect health are always starving for wants and vanity and here's some one that should have died at birth and could die any day now and just fights through it and all they want it just to keep breathing and to make friends. We can learn so much from them.
Agreed, we can always learn from people like that. Everynight I when I lay down I remind myself I am lucky to have a good job, a house and a healthy family.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Oh cool. (well cool in the sense that they can do that). Thanks for the info.
Ryan is exactly right. I'll add that the helmet holds where the head is prominent and redirects growth to the areas that are flat.

The irregular head shape often develops from a tightness in infants neck causing it to favor a direction (left or right). Sometimes, in addition to the cap aka helmet a child undergoes physical therapy to increase range of motion in the neck.

My son was nearly 9.5 lbs when he was born (my wife is pretty petite). Being cramped in the womb was one factor to him developing this assemetry. Twins have a higher likelyhood to develop this too.

Last edited:

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Agreed, we can always learn from people like that. Everynight I when I lay down I remind myself I am lucky to have a good job, a house and a healthy family.
Yep that's what its all about man. I had a buddy of mine pass away yesterday of Hodgkin's lymphoma. He was on my first hockey team but we drifted apart over the years. I ran into him a few years ago and he was doing better and happy to just get out of the house for a bit. But, It finally took him over. Really makes you appreciate how much time god has gifted you.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
OK guys. I must say. I never thought I would root for an ear infection! Lol. We have antibiotics and Tylenol. Here's hoping he is OK! I'm just happy to know why he's been acting up!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
What is the purpose of the cap? it is to protect him?
I'm confused too. What is this?
Ryan is exactly right. I'll add that the helmet holds where the head is prominent and redirects growth to the areas that are flat.
The irregular head shape often develops from a tightness in infants neck causing it to favor a direction (left or right). Sometimes, in addition to the cap aka helmet a child undergoes physical therapy to increase range of motion in the neck.
My son was nearly 9.5 lbs when he was born (my wife is pretty petite). Being cramped in the womb was one factor to him developing this assemetry. Twins have a higher likelyhood to develop this too.
Yup. For us it was the twins issue. Two Graunke Kong babies crammed inside a Size 0 abdomen makes for close quarters! They both were diagnosed with torticollis (essentially neck tightness), his much more severe and he favors turning his head left to an extreme. Because of this he developed a pretty severe flat spot on the back left of his head, despite our efforts to keep him off of it. Apparently it's quite common with twins. We've been doing physical therapy for both of them to help with range of motion and just monitoring her, but his was bad enough to get fitted for the CranioCap to help reshape his skull as it grows. We found out there's a local guy that has a business doing automotive wraps, but he donates time and materials to do free wraps on the caps because he feels babies shouldn't be stuck with the sterile "institution white" look.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yup. For us it was the twins issue. Two Graunke Kong babies crammed inside a Size 0 abdomen makes for close quarters! They both were diagnosed with torticollis (essentially neck tightness), his much more severe and he favors turning his head left to an extreme. Because of this he developed a pretty severe flat spot on the back left of his head, despite our efforts to keep him off of it. Apparently it's quite common with twins. We've been doing physical therapy for both of them to help with range of motion and just monitoring her, but his was bad enough to get fitted for the CranioCap to help reshape his skull as it grows. We found out there's a local guy that has a business doing automotive wraps, but he donates time and materials to do free wraps on the caps because he feels babies shouldn't be stuck with the sterile "institution white" look.
Oh I have a great idea. You could have a wrap made that replicates a Rogue Squadron helmet!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OK guys. I must say. I never thought I would root for an ear infection! Lol. We have antibiotics and Tylenol. Here's hoping he is OK! I'm just happy to know why he's been acting up!
If his fever is bad, you can do thr roatations of Tylenol every 4 hrs and ibuprofen every 6 hrs. We had to this and cokd wash clothes when my son got sick over holidays. It worked well and got his fever down from over 104

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
My son sleeps through the night now. I'm curious how you guys approach sleep training when your child is sick? We give in and pick him up to soothe him when he cries when sick. We find it only takes him a night or two of retraining after he's better to get back to sleeping through the night.

On a side note, going on a long vacation also ruins his sleep schedule and it also takes a night or two to retrain when we get home.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
My son sleeps through the night now. I'm curious how you guys approach sleep training when your child is sick? We give in and pick him up to soothe him when he cries when sick. We find it only takes him a night or two of retraining after he's better to get back to sleeping through the night.

On a side note, going on a long vacation also ruins his sleep schedule and it also takes a night or two to retrain when we get home.
Vacation screws up everything... just try hard to keep it the same. For instance my girls sleep in separate rooms and we try to keep it that way if not they don't sleep. They're both under three... I'm sure that will change as they get older as they could share a room.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0

Sickness is a whole different issue. When my babies are sick, I have very long nights. But if you've had a very established rhythm previous to the sickness it doesn't take long to get back to the routine, usually it happens the first night they're comfortable/getting better, just because they want to sleep as much as you do.

Vacations tend to work the same... it's one solid night at home and it's back to normal.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
110% agree with Ninja. Bedt thing when sick is to sooth them so they feel a kittle better. Most likely will get more sleep that way. And we gave him tylenol for a fever at night to helo him sleep. But only really ifhe was being fussy.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is it normal for a kid to get 2-4 teeth at a time? They seem to come in groups and the kid is miserable for like two or three weeks at a time. Luckily (I hope) these are the last few teeth before his two year molars or whatever they're called.