What's new

New fathers

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
New dad here too. I have a 16 month old son. If anyone wants to talk about our experience with sleep training, baby helmets, or if you are like me and up at any time of night, hit me up! I will glean this thread for new father tips for sure!
Sleep train EARLY! Do not give in to every cry. It's worth the pain of letting them cry for 5 minutes. We did this with one and not the other. Guess which one sleeps like sht still and is more needy?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Get the kid on your schedule.

For example, say your little guy wakes after 5 hours to eat. Feed him on evening intervals so you don't have to get up at 3am/4am. Wake him at midnight, so that next feeding is at 5am instead of 4 or 3. Trust me, getting yourself out of bed at 12 so that your wife can pickup the 5am is worth it!
He's doing much better now! We stopped feeding him at night and he only occasionally needs his passy. Otherwise he wakes up, fusses for a sec and then falls back asleep

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
He's doing much better now! We stopped feeding him at night and he only occasionally needs his passy. Otherwise he wakes up, fusses for a sec and then falls back asleep
Oh man, the paci......First one had it forever, no go on the second one. All the shit these mommy sites tell you to do are generally on point.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Did you guys let your kids scream themselves to sleep? We're having a hard time figuring out what to do at bed time. Obviously the kid needs to learn how to soothe himself, but how? Short of leaving him scream, what do you do?

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
We let ours scream, and cry. Doesn't last long before they go to sleep.
Did you guys let your kids scream themselves to sleep? We're having a hard time figuring out what to do at bed time. Obviously the kid needs to learn how to soothe himself, but how? Short of leaving him scream, what do you do?
Got to.
There's a method. Go in after 5 minute, next day ten mins, and so on.

They get the point eventually.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So steadily allowing them to do this..... OK. We're up to about 5 minutes of screaming. Problem is there has to be a point where it is actually harmful, right? I don't know. I just want to sleep..... Haha

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
First one, now 10. Never an issue sleeping on her own. The second one, now almost three,haha lays beside me as we speak passed out in our bed. That crying to sleep didn't work,five then ten and so on. With two very long schedules it's easier to let her lay with us anyways (she's a little cuddle bug). On occasion if she passes out we put her in her room but by morning she ends up waking up quietly and coming back to our bed. I see no harm in this, I would like opinions though. Cheers

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
So steadily allowing them to do this..... OK. We're up to about 5 minutes of screaming. Problem is there has to be a point where it is actually harmful, right? I don't know. I just want to sleep..... Haha
I don't believe so. Go in after 5 clam him down..leave. Come back in ten next time. They are not scared or hurting, just needy. Telling you man, we did his too late with my big one and he still wakes at 5 years and comes to our room. We did it very early with the little one and he NEVER wakes up. NEVER.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Personally i agree with Finster. I'll add this: give the boy a cigar. A big one will give you two hours and he'll be writing reviews by the time he's in school. Two birds; one stone.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
. With two very long schedules it's easier to let her lay with us anyways (she's a little cuddle
Another reason we have trouble keeping the big one out of our bed. It's just easier to let him come in. But it's uncomfortable at times and you know what, wife and I get little enough time to ourselves as it is, how about giving us a break to sleep kid?

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I gave this a quick read after googling Ferber sleep training. I think it's a good summary to address your concerns.

http://www.parents.com/blogs/fearless-feisty-mama/2011/07/20/must-read/sleep-training/

Sleep training is more painful for the parent than it is for the kid. Don't expect it to be easy. You'll lay in bed, watching the clock to hit the 5min mark, 10 mon mark. It's torture to hear him cry. But you're doing the right thing.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It does, man. My 4 month old screams most nights. Sucks when you gotta wake up early. Right now, though, she's cooing and being cute so I guess we'll keep her. How old's your boy?