What's new

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton suspended

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Also suspended:
  • Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, indefinitely
  • General Manager Mickey Loomis, first eight games
  • Assistant Coach Joe Vitt, first six games

In addition, Goodell fined the Saints $500,000 and took away their second-round draft picks this year and next.

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
Seems really fair. Payton gets a year for the bounty program. Donte Stallworth gets the same punishment for killing a human being. Yeah, seems extremely fair. lol.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Seems harsh, but the line had to be drawn in the sand to protect the integrity of the game and safety of the players. Professional sports have no place for this type of behavior. Too bad for Payton, he is a good coach...

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Hey, watch your mouth. The Saints are awesome and if you think the Saints are the only team that as ever done that then you are dead wrong. They just got told on.
No, they got caught!

The idea that other teams do this on a regular basis is unfounded.

The idea that doing your job is not enough, that you will get compensated for trying to inflict harm on another player is pretty pathetic.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
No, they got caught!

The idea that other teams do this on a regular basis is unfounded.

The idea that doing your job is not enough, that you will get compensated for trying to inflict harm on another player is pretty pathetic.
The truth is that every football player since they started playing football was always told to inflict pain on the other opponent. You are only told to do it legally. Football is a contact sport.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
You're saying that every team in the NFL practices a boumty system? No offense, but that's ridiculous.
Yes! It happens at all levels from high school to college to pro! Maybe not every team, but more than a handful.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I'd like to see the players that accepted payments for the bounty program get reprimended as well.

If Goodell wants to uphold the integrity of the game.

While the coached are wrong for doing this the players that participated in this are just as guilty too.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
The truth is that every football player since they started playing football was always told to inflict pain on the other opponent. You are only told to do it legally. Football is a contact sport.
Yes, but getting paid to do it is NOT legal, hence the actions by the NFL.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Yes! It happens at all levels from high school to college to pro! Maybe not every team, but more than a handful.

This has been going on for quite some time. I remember then Buddy Ryand Eagles defense knocked out like 5 or 6 starting starting QB's and at the end the of season we (the public) found out that they had a bounty on starting QB's.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yes, but getting paid to do it is NOT legal, hence the actions by the NFL.
How is it any different then getting a bonus for running over 1000 yards or begin the MVP in the Superbowl. They were essentially being paid for playing harder. They were never told illegally hit someone, just hit them harder.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Not surprised...The Saints are a crappy organization.

Dang Clint tell us how you really feel.

As a season ticket holder I'm very frustrated that this happened, but we must move on.

BTW, Clint do you think that other NFL don't do this on a regular basis?

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Unfounded??? It happens every year... Example: What about Bart Scott of the Ravens trying to rip Reggie Bush's ankle off???

Exhibit A:

http://media.nola.com/saints_impact/photo/bart-scottjpg-a92164f2e78bdfe6_large.jpg
First, let me back off here a bit...Choosing the word 'crappy" was unfair, and I am sorry to have offended Saints fans here on the board. I'd be pissed too if someone took a crack at my team.

Having said that, this "exhibit A" is an example of a tackle that resulted in a bounty payment to Bart Scott? Come on, really?