What's new

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton suspended

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
So you are saying that Harrison is part of a bounty system, and gets 'compensated' for it every week?

....And your proof of this is.....?

And you are also saying the criminal activity that takes place off the field (although I agree is horrendous and disgusting) is something that should be punished by Goodell even when the allegations are NOT substantiated?
He may not be getting compensated for it (we don't really know) but harrison has his own bounty system and has publicly stated it to Espn. He has not changed his style of play. I personally like the way he plays the game, but the rules have changed. And Stallworth did kill someone there is no doubt about that, and Ben might as well have gave a confession when he settled put of court by paying both girls. I let the first allegation fly, but then he pulled a "Michael Jackson" after the second allegation. Seems pretty dirty to me. But I regress, intentionally trying to hurt players should have stiffer punishments but I just think that Goodell has gone a little too far.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
To all, no they shouldn't have done it! I'd much rather their one and only superbowl run not be tainted in controversy. Last season in the playoffs, the way the 49ers defense were playing dirty against the Saints offense, you can't tell me there wasn't a bounty on Saints players! If you don't believe it, then you're just being naive.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
If some PYT sleeps with a different dude every night of the week....but no money ever exchanges hands for the knob polishin' service...does that mean she's not a whore?

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I'd like to see the players that accepted payments for the bounty program get reprimended as well.

If Goodell wants to uphold the integrity of the game.

While the coached are wrong for doing this the players that participated in this are just as guilty too.
I agree with the harshness you cannot have this happen again. So why not punish the players as well with suspensions or fines. guess they were just following orders?

As for other teams having bounty systems, former players have admitted to it. Although the "bounties" were for the most sacks, INT, etc. Legal plays within the confines of the rules, saints just took it to another level.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Agreed that what the Saints are involved in is not a good situation. Also agreed that it goes on to "Some Extent" throughout the NFL. However, as others have stated it is where the Saints took it that is particularly egregious.

Saying that, I do believe that as far as the Integrity of the game and sportsmanship, that videotaping your opponent in the upcoming Super Bowl is far more of a problem to the leagues long term success.
One of the reasons that the NFL is so fun to watch is the parity created by a group of owners that look out for the league as a whole while looking out for their own individual franchises as well. When you can't figure out who half the participants in next years playoffs are right now, then you have a great product.
There will always be roughness involved with the sport, look at Hines Ward. But he did it because he wanted to. Just like someone put it for Harrison. Placing a bounty on a player being hurt is out of line and the appropriate actions have been taken. I as other posters have stated just believe that Goddell should be more consistent in his punishments.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They have stated they are still investigating the player portion and fines/suspensions will be coming down the pipeline for players as well. I would expect some to be just as bad if not worse then what we've seen here.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
He may not be getting compensated for it (we don't really know) but harrison has his own bounty system and has publicly stated it to Espn. He has not changed his style of play. I personally like the way he plays the game, but the rules have changed. And Stallworth did kill someone there is no doubt about that, and Ben might as well have gave a confession when he settled put of court by paying both girls. I let the first allegation fly, but then he pulled a "Michael Jackson" after the second allegation. Seems pretty dirty to me. But I regress, intentionally trying to hurt players should have stiffer punishments but I just think that Goodell has gone a little too far.
Very good point!! Clint just doesn't like us ... but we're cool:smokingco!

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
Ok, that's what I thought but was wondering if I missed something.
It was actually a tad bit worse than iCraig is making it out to be. The Pats were also accused of video taping opposing teams practices and walk-throughs, the worst was getting accused of video taping the Rams' practices the week prior to the Superbowl.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Very good point!! Clint just doesn't like us ... but we're cool:smokingco!
Hey!!

The Saints have been doing extremely well over the past few years, and Brees is a phenomenal QB.

I love seeing the hard hits in the NFL...It's a huge part of the game, and the Saints have a great defense.

The problem I have with any team in any sport is cheating and/or breaking the rules. It goes way beyond the role model for kids thing (which IS important whether you agree or not), becase IMHO it's about respecting the game. Period.

When Sammy Sosa used a corked bat in a game, he cheated. Period. He disrespected baseball...The players, the fans, the game.

What the Saints did was equally disrespectful to the fans, to the players who play the game by the rules, and to NFL as a whole. This was not (as many are saying) a "routine" pat on the back for a hard hit, this was a gross, blatant, and coordinated effort to break established rules.

The worst part, is that this bounty had the potential to injure and possibly end careers of other players.

Again, just my opinion, and no offense to Saints fans, but this is really a pathetic way to lead a team, and I think the penalties have been too soft.

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
What if the Saints defense broke Kurt Warners neck because of a sketchy blind side hit that maybe happened a shade after the whistle blew because Vilma was going for a bounty. Then Warner was confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life, and Vilma collected his $3,000 for the hit.

You can't defend it by saying it's not that big of a deal or it's not that bad, everyone is doing it.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
What if the Saints defense broke Kurt Warners neck because of a sketchy blind side hit that maybe happened a shade after the whistle blew because Vilma was going for a bounty. Then Warner was confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life, and Vilma collected his $3,000 for the hit.

You can't defend it by saying it's not that big of a deal or it's not that bad, everyone is doing it.
He wasn't so no what if's.