What's new

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton suspended

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I accept your apology!:tiphat:

Yes, all I'm suggesting is that it happens all the time at every level of the game Football.
But that picture doesn't prove anything regarding bounties being paid...

I just find it hard to believe that this sort of thing runs rampant through the NFL (as many here seem to be saying), yet only the Saints got caught.

I'm sure that there are "suggestions" made in every locker room by many teams...Granted.

But the amount of fines, suspensions, etc levied against the Saints shows that there was some pretty bad stuff going on, which I don't think is status quo for all teams.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Clint, 100% agree with you. Sure it is the NFL, but what the Saints did is plain wrong. Hines Ward is one of the dirtiest ever, doesn't mean he was getting paid a bounty.

I just wonder why Goddell all of a sudden grew a nutsack. Where was he during Spygate? Should have throen the book at the Pats and The Hoodie.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I don't agree with you at all! Saints fans have heard about the Bart Scott thing the year it happened. The Saints have taken the fall for something that goes on across the NFL... We deserve what we got!!!

I will agree that we are paying the price for Glorified hits... also the NFL make tons of money off the big hits. Tons

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I think this is just like the patriots and spy gate. I don’t know if all teams but most teams have done the same thing. the patriots just got caught and they had to make an example of them.

This time it’s the saints that got caught I’m sure like everyone said this is something that happens on a lot of other teams. the saints got caught so the NFL has to make an example of it to try and deter other teams from continuing to do the same.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
The idea that other teams do this on a regular basis is unfounded.
If you want to stir the pot just to get "proof", then you'll be stirring a long time. However, MANY current and former players/coaches have gone on record (via ESPN, NFL Network, talk radio etc) saying there are varying forms of a bounty system happening all over the NFL, not just the Saints. Says it happens all the time where guys will put up a little cash for "incentives."

You, and none of us have any idea first hand... I will listen to the many respected people I have seen/heard say this does happen.

And fwiw, I am glad the NFL came down hard on the Saints. First of all I'm a big football fan growing up playing it and now just watching and believe in sportsmanship. Secondly, I witnessed the Saints bounty system take my team out of the NFC championship game a couple years ago by going hard and illegally after Brett Favre. I love big hits don't get me wrong, but there were some damn cheap shots going high/low on him. :( LOL

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
But that wasnt as bad as this. And the pats still got a huge fine and lost draft picks.

The pats were not going out to hit someone so hard they were taken out of the game.
True, they just took 3 Lombardi geophysical home. How many trophies did the Saints get from their bounty system?

Huge fines and losing draft picks. Cry me a fricken river. I thin as far as the integrity of the game, what Belichick did was much worse.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Hey, watch your mouth. The Saints are awesome and if you think the Saints are the only team that as ever done that then you are dead wrong. They just got told on.
Get real dude... Every organization does this to some extent.
Yes! It happens at all levels from high school to college to pro! Maybe not every team, but more than a handful.
Unfounded??? It happens every year... Example: What about Bart Scott of the Ravens trying to rip Reggie Bush's ankle off???

Exhibit A:

http://media.nola.com/saints_impact/photo/bart-scottjpg-a92164f2e78bdfe6_large.jpg
I don't agree with you at all! Saints fans have heard about the Bart Scott thing the year it happened. The Saints have taken the fall for something that goes on across the NFL... We deserve what we got!!!

I will agree that we are paying the price for Glorified hits... also the NFL make tons of money off the big hits. Tons

I wonder how many supporting the Saints would have supported or do support Belichick and the Patriots or make similar arguments that "everyone else did it, they just got caught".

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
True, they just took 3 Lombardi geophysical home. How many trophies did the Saints get from their bounty system?

Huge fines and losing draft picks. Cry me a fricken river. I thin as far as the integrity of the game, what Belichick did was much worse.
Was this not during their own super bowl run?

Video taping other team's defensive signs is worse than intentionally injuring another player and getting paid a bonus for doing so? Give me a frigan break..

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I just wonder why Goddell all of a sudden grew a nutsack. Where was he during Spygate? Should have throen the book at the Pats and The Hoodie.
I've heard this a couple of times now, but not sure I follow. Can someone explain what the Pats did? What they did that warrants severe punishment? I just don't think I know all of the background.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
They were caught videotaping the defensive signals of opposing teams in order to gain an advantage on their opponents later on.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Maybe Goodell could have also mandated that they bring in Brett Favre as an interim coach. A little bit of ironic salt in the wound for good measure.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
You're saying that every team in the NFL practices a boumty system? No offense, but that's ridiculous.
James Harrison does it every week he plays. Goodell didn't do shizznit to him or the Steelers organization. This was blown way out of proportion. I can see some suspensions but not the ones of the length that were dealt out. The Pats didn't get anything but a slap on the wrist for their load of crap they pulled for years that could have resulted in Super Bowl wins. Goodell needs to start being consistent with his punishments cause he just seems out of control now. Where was this kind of punishment when Stallworth was killing innocent bystanders on the road and when Ben Roethelisberger was raping young girls in night club bathrooms. Full of sh** if you ask me.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
So NFL executives shouldn't draw a line somewhere? Maybe they failed in the past to discipline as the maybe should have, but now, suddenly instead of calling for these guys' heads, you're all defending them and saying they deserve the same slap on the wrist?

Hypocritical much?

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
So NFL executives shouldn't draw a line somewhere? Maybe they failed in the past to discipline as the maybe should have, but now, suddenly instead of calling for these guys' heads, you're all defending them and saying they deserve the same slap on the wrist?

Hypocritical much?
I highly believe that they should have been punished. I believe that a organizational fine was appropriate and losing draft picks were as well. I would have gone with Suspension for 10 games for Payton and 2 years for Williams. Te whole indefinitely part is too much.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
James Harrison does it every week he plays. Goodell didn't do shizznit to him or the Steelers organization. This was blown way out of proportion. I can see some suspensions but not the ones of the length that were dealt out. The Pats didn't get anything but a slap on the wrist for their load of crap they pulled for years that could have resulted in Super Bowl wins. Goodell needs to start being consistent with his punishments cause he just seems out of control now. Where was this kind of punishment when Stallworth was killing innocent bystanders on the road and when Ben Roethelisberger was raping young girls in night club bathrooms. Full of sh** if you ask me.
So you are saying that Harrison is part of a bounty system, and gets 'compensated' for it every week?

....And your proof of this is.....?

And you are also saying the criminal activity that takes place off the field (although I agree is horrendous and disgusting) is something that should be punished by Goodell even when the allegations are NOT substantiated?

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
They were caught videotaping the defensive signals of opposing teams in order to gain an advantage on their opponents later on.
Ok, that's what I thought but was wondering if I missed something.

Not sure I view that as being as bad as intentionally trying to injure players. If you release information out in the open, it becomes public knowledge. Need to protect it, whether you're on a practice field or not.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
We used to play "Smear the Queer". What do they call it now since "Smear the Queer" is not PC? I hope they still call it "Smear the Queer", because I like being Politically Incorrect. :)