What's new

new to roasting

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
ok guys.. Im back... Ive got both Kenyan and Ethiopian beans this time around.. will probably start playing around with the roaster in the next couple of days..

If you havent already provided your address previously, shoot me a PM and let me know where to send the box... also, let me know if you need me to grind for you, or if you want them sent as whole beans.. I think Kev is the only other person on the list that has the capability to roast.. but also let me know if you would like green beans instead of roasted (maybe someone else on the list has a way of roasting for themselves?)...

Hopefully will have everything shipped by this weekend (no guarantees.. depends on how bad I get beat up with work this week after being gone for a while.. but will try...).....

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I think you have my address Dave, or at least Fake Dave does. I need mine roasted but not ground. I have a brad new burr grinder for that..yah me!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'll take mine whole Dave! Thanks a million for this, now if I just knew how to really say thank you......hmmmm

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I found a good deal (I think) on a Fresh Roast Plus 8 on ebay...

probably wont have time to actually get the thing fired up until the weekend at this point (thought I would have time during the week.. but Im pretty swamped right now)... but hoping it works out ok...

if not.. all you guys get sh*tty coffee! :)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
after making the last post I couldnt resist it any longer.. so I got up and roasted my first batch...

couple of things to note right off the front end....

1) I aint no javaman! roasting isnt nearly as simple a process as I initially expected.. lots of things going on... and I am very obviously not a natural (yet!)...

2) This is more time consuming than I originally thought it was going to be... the roaster can only handle very small batches (less than a cup at a time).... Im basically having to roast up 2 batches for each person on the list in order for you guys to get enough coffee for this to be worthwhile..... for personal use the roaster I have will be fine.. one batch is enough for multiple cups of coffee... I think maybe I could roast a batch up once a week or so, and that would most likely be enough for personal use... but if you were going to do this on any larger scale at all.. I would need much better equipment and much more of it I think...

3) If consistency is key... you guys are screwed! youre getting some shitty coffee! lol.... Im going for a lighter end roast for the kenyan beans that Ill be sending everyone (except for Kev.. he is getting his beans green).. Ive only done enough at this point for 2 people... but I can already tell getting consistent roast across multiple batches is going to be a challenge... even within the same small batch I can see noticeable differences in the beans... some are darker than others.. some are more cracked than others, etc.. dont know if this matters or not.. dont know if this is "normal" for lighter roasts... but this is what Im distributing :)

First two batches of roasted beans will go out tomorrow... I havent even sampled these myself yet.. (Ill be drinking my first cup tomorrow)... so I have NO IDEA how good or bad its gonna be.. Rupe and Javajunkie you are the first guinea pigs lol... I need to send each of you something else anyway.. so I figured I would save on the postage and get it all into one box :)

The rest of you will probably have to wait until the end of the week or the weekend until I find the time to do some more (or.. who knows I might get a while hair tomorrow too.. :) ... I do need to actually get some work done this week though...)....

enjoy! (I hope.... or... at least.. dont choke on it lol... :) )....

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Haha. It's definitely a learning process, brutha. My first roaster was a Fresh Roast as well. It tends to roast a little faster than other roasters which can cause burning/scorching of the beans & ruin them. I know the fan is pretty loud, but try to listen for the first crack & start "coasting" the roast from there to get some consistent light roasts - easier said than done, eh? :)

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Im sure this will be great. The expierience alone will make it taste pretty good. Dont put too much pressure on yourself and enjoy the process.

The two of you talking about this sure has my interest in home roasting peaked...

One other thought.... would mixing the batches after you roast them provide more consistency for you? It would bring the great batches down, but the bad batches up... just a thought...

Temporary thread jack.... Java man, I have not forgot about it, just way too stinking busy lately and havent even cracked the humi in weeks... I will get back in touch with you soon....yes, ashamed to say, I havent lit a cigar in several weeks :(

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This is so great. I love the "I'm going to wait" Followed two hours later with "I gave it a shot!" What I love to see.

I remember speaking to a guy who did the roasting for a large grocery store chain, and he talked about how, at the end of the day, the darker the roast, the more coffee just becomes like any other cereal.

And that the darker the roast, the greater possibility to homogenize the product.

You are honoring the bean the lighter the roast!

Great job. This is fun to watch.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
The two of you talking about this sure has my interest in home roasting peaked...
90% of what I needed to get started.. I already had at home... all I really lacked was the roaster...

I checked around on ebay, CL, etc.. read some reviews, etc... you can really spend as much or as little as you want on a roaster.. I saw several different ones ranging from about $75 (shipped) to $200.. I went a little bit on the low end... but the one I picked up had some decent reviews.. and it was cheap (just a little cosmetic damage to it.. but its fully functional)...

I figured for $80 all in.. it would be a fun experiment.. if its something I end up not liking.. Ill just put the roaster back up on ebay, and recoup most (if not all) of my investment.. (almost no risk involved at all)...

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Temporary thread jack.... Java man, I have not forgot about it, just way too stinking busy lately and havent even cracked the humi in weeks... I will get back in touch with you soon....yes, ashamed to say, I havent lit a cigar in several weeks :(
No biggie, man. I'm not entirely sure that I even still have what you were looking for anyway! If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen - don't sweat it....

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
First three boxes are in the mail... I might be able to get another 1 or 2 out tomorrow depending on how the rest of the day looks today (no guarantees)... rest will go out either over the weekend on or Monday...

JJ - 9405 5036 9930 0362 4224 64
Rupe - 9405 5036 9930 0362 4224 57
Javaman - 9405 5036 9930 0362 4224 40

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Next batch of boxes will go out this afternoon (got enough done over the weekend to cover 4 more people)... should be able to get the rest done this afternoon..

Still need your home addy Diamondbacks47...

DC's to be posted in a short while..