What's new

New Viaje 45th Anni

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
What I'm trying to understand is why all the uproar every time Andre does it but no comment about Petes daily limited release.
Exactly...two separate discussions taking place here. Too many LEs, and why is just Viaje always singled out? (bring on the "cause Pete has established core lines that are good" comments)....

The "more is better" argument might be a valid one....but, for me, when Andre started putting out LEs in different vitolas of his same Platino and Oro blend....and retailers were charging well over what those core lines cost just cause they were "LEs" due to being a different size... well, I wasn't a fan. And again, he wasn't the first one to do this (shocker, I know). It's just been a long while since Pete had done it, at least as I recall.

And truly, along the same lines as a comment Ciggy made earlier, how many cigars can be released (LE or otherwise), before you just end up being redundant?

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Exactly...two separate discussions taking place here. Too many LEs, and why is just Viaje always singled out? (bring on the "cause Pete has established core lines that are good" comments)....

The "more is better" argument might be a valid one....but, for me, when Andre started putting out LEs in different vitolas of his same Platino and Oro blend....and retailers were charging well over what those core lines cost just cause they were "LEs" due to being a different size... well, I wasn't a fan. And again, he wasn't the first one to do this (shocker, I know). It's just been a long while since Pete had done it, at least as I recall.

And truly, along the same lines as a comment Ciggy made earlier, how many cigars can be released (LE or otherwise), before you just end up being redundant?
great points about too many LE's , BUT we still need to remember that the cigar industry is a business and there are too many producers and products versus the amount of consumers... especially with ever growing smoking bands!
if the LE is some type of niche marketing, good for them. they are selling cigars. i will only support them if they are good cigars, reguardless of the brand name. viaje had some good releases and some bad like most brands. cant keep all the smokers happy all of the time...

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
also, if it wasnt for all of the LE's of viaje, we probably wouldnt know about them and they would be just another brand that didnt make it...

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
also, if it wasnt for all of the LE's of viaje, we probably wouldnt know about them and they would be just another brand that didnt make it...
Very true.

And I do wish Viaje would concentrate on their core lines, as does Pete.

Having said that, I AM looking forward to this new LE release because it's (finally) a larger sized exclusivo...I think that the OR Exclusivo (jar) was hands down the best Viaje LE, close second being the '09 Holiday Blend.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Yes the Exclusivo jar release was IMO the best LE they put out and after that release I stopped buying Viaje and it doesn't sound like I've missed much either. Saved quite a bit though.LoL

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
It bugs me that Andre can be so secretive about his releases though. He doesn't really leak information about the cigars until a lot of people started asking about a new LE. Pete seems to be a lot more transparent in his releases which make it more of an enjoyable experience hunting them down.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
It bugs me that Andre can be so secretive about his releases though. He doesn't really leak information about the cigars until a lot of people started asking about a new LE. Pete seems to be a lot more transparent in his releases which make it more of an enjoyable experience hunting them down.
Andre likes to create more stir...More chatter....More of a build up and suspense. He's more about the drama than Pete. All you have to do is take a look at the Viaje website with Andre sitting on a throne!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
And that would be the business model of artificially dying wrappers to deceive consumers?
NO, the model that says release as much as you can as fast as possible and tell everyone this cigar is the best yet...until the next cigar hits in 3 weeks , then that cigar is the best yet. and so on.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
NO, the model that says release as much as you can as fast as possible and tell everyone this cigar is the best yet...until the next cigar hits in 3 weeks , then that cigar is the best yet. and so on.
Oh, that!

....In addition to artificially dying wrappers to deceive consumers.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the concept.

Let me re-phrase, I like the limited quantity concept better than I like the General/Altadis game-plan of having 500 mediocre, tastes the same, no flavor cigars, spread out among 75 nameplates.

As a retailer I can tell you the limited release concept works well for us, too. I never, and I mean never, have Viajes sit around for very long. The sell fast, sell out, and people are waiting for the next shipment. Heck, I'm out of most of the Platino core line right now.

Rambling a little, but again, it's better than making the same stick, year after year, but not telling the general public that it's only 60-80% the same as last years stick, isn't it? At least it's more honest, IMO. There are huge variations in crop quality, fermentation quirks, and all kinds of other variables that make a yearly release of a line waaaaaay more realistic than thinking that the Montecristo you pick up from the store is the same stick as it was last year. Because, trust me, it's not.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
"I just approved the final blend for Late Harvest, which is a project that will be released at the IPCPR this year.*All I’ll say now is the wine industry has used late harvest techniques to make spectacular wine.*Now we will have the equivalent for the cigar industry."

Okay I have had enough of this bullshit.....LATE HARVEST...Please....

Picking grapes LATE adds sugar and alcohol levels.

Picking tobacco LATE will make the tobacco darker but bland.....

When tobacco is ready to pick, it's ready and must be picked within a certain time range.....If you leave it on longer than necessary, it will only start to lose strength and flavor.....

I wish Penn and Teller would do a show on Bullshit like this.....

Hey Andre, learn about what you are selling before you start making up bullshit for people to buy into.....
Oh, and BTW, I love the whole wine reference with cigars...Never heard it before.....