What's new

On average, how long do you allow your cigars to rest before you smoke one?

How long do how allow your cigars to rest before you smoke on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Average...probably a month. That's not because I really choose to though. I don't smoke that often, once or maybe twice a week. So when I get stuff it may end up setting in the humi for a while before I get around to smoking it. Of course if it's something I've been really wanting to partake of I may create a reason to spark it up as soon as it arrives (for instance those BOTL cigars) :grin:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'll smoke one in a month after I get them and make the decision then if they need more down time.

JH

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Tough question. There are sticks I want to put away and not look at...then there are those I fire up when they come home.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly depends on where I get them. If they are from a local B&M where they have a well-maintained humidor, I will smoke them right away if I want to. If they are from any of the on-line sources, they rest at least two weeks, most of the time a month or more, since the shipping time/conditions takes its toll.

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
I usually fire one up right off the truck. And then smoke them consistently every week or so. That is unless it's something rare or something i plan on aging. In that case i smoke one right out of the box and then wait and smoke one every couples months. I like to see how a cigar progresses.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I usually wait a week or two. Unless it is something that I really want. I do have some that have been in the humidor for 2 yrs. So I said 6 months for the most part because I have so many. Nothing of high quality but I do have the quantity.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I usually let them rest at least a few weeks before smoking the first. After that I then decide if they need more age or are good to smoke. I only smoke once or twice a week so everything I buy ends up sitting for months to years before I smoke them all.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Tough question. There are sticks I want to put away and not look at...then there are those I fire up when they come home.
X2!

Also depends on why I bought the box....To age, for "investment", etc.

Also, if I know the cigars are young (i.e. a short run that was just produced recently as opposed to a box that has been sitting in someone's inventory for months) I may smoke one as soon as it arrives, and then let the rest of them sit for a few weeks.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I'd vote for "no rest" if it was available... I smoke what I want to smoke when ever...

Thomas M

Boutique Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on another thread but maybe this is a better spot for it:

I believe age and tobacco are huge misconceptions. It almost seems trendy to say a cigar needs down time if it isn't stellar right out of the box. I do however find this trend prevalent amongst those newer to cigars. In my experience it seems seasoned smokers aren't as quick to throw the "needs age card". Don't forget, respectable cigar makers age their tobacco for years before rolling. Some even age the cigars once they are rolled. In these instances the cigar you receive has been already been aged. Tobacco is not like wine in the sense that years and years of age will improve a cigar. I have bottles of wine that continue to improve after 15 years of aging. The same cannot be said for cigars. In some cases age hurts tobacco. Some cigars decline with age. Just something to think about.

Jadawin

Drew Estate Cigars
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I pretty much buy all of my cigars at my local (Burning Leaf) and don't really feel the need to let anything rest if it came out of the humidors there. For the rare times I do order online, i try to give it at least a week or 2.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Mostly depends on where I get them. If they are from a local B&M where they have a well-maintained humidor, I will smoke them right away if I want to. If they are from any of the on-line sources, they rest at least two weeks, most of the time a month or more, since the shipping time/conditions takes its toll.
That's about my answer as well. A lot of my stuff will get 'aged by default'. I dump sticks in my vino and in my locker, and let them stay put while I'm on the road. I try not to smoke anything too fresh out of a B&M, because I don't know the conditions at most of them. But when your travel stash gets low...you have to smoke what's on hand ( =

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
In terms of just smoking, I will smoke one ROTT, if I feel the urge...

In terms of reviewing (for the site), I keep each and every cigar that I review in 65/65 for at least a week before I touch it to review...I want every cigar to have the same chance at shining, and a cigar DOES taste different if it has been out in the sun for 2 days at 90 degrees, or in the back of a truck, then if it has been in optimum conditions, I assure you...otherwise, why would people even have humidors?

While the flavors and strength (mostly harshness) will ebb and flow depending on how long it has been out of a humidor, keeping a cigar in optimum conditions for a week (or more) will not make a crap cigar a good cigar, but it CAN turn a good cigar into a crap cigar, imho...

Having said that, I do like to smoke a cigar that I am ROTT, then do an actual review on another one a week later, if I have more then one of the cigar...I did that with the DES recently, and can't wait to smoke a few for the final review...

~brooks

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
yeah same here, if i get them from a B&M i give em a week to reach the humidty i like em at. if online wait a month at least for them to smoke fine.