What's new

Pete Johnson's new line: L'Atelier

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I don't care who copies who in sizes. What matters is the quality of the smoke. I personally love Nic. cigars way better than Cc's and Pete/Pepin brands are at the top of my list. It's really hard finding a lower premium cigar that has great flavor so I'm excited to see how these work out. Can't exactly call it a budget stick either at around $10, but a new venture nothing less.
Good for you Pete!
Ciggy,

The flagship brand L'Atelier is our premium. Our budget brands,Trocadero and El Suelo will retail for $3.50 to $4.75 and come in bundles. All of those are larger formats also. The smallest one is a 5 1/4x52. Hope this clears things up.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Also, I doubt the Cubans knew that the Guapos existed but for sure BHK 54 is the same size as it.
Yup....and they look almost identical. Only thing that stood out to me visually was the cap around the pig tail.

Watch out for fake BHK54s....might just be a Guapo. LOL

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Posted by Pete on the CA article comments section

"I am only paying homage to the sizes of Behike. Why not, they already copied my Cabaiguan Guapos size (5 5/8 x 54 - with a pigtail) that has been around for far longer...

The flavor of course is nothing like it, as I believe that Newer Cuban cigars are still not comparable to what Nicaragua is putting out today"
This really rubs me the wrong way. It's like an F YOU to Cohiba. You stole my design so now I'm stealing yours! Very unprofessional. And then he says that his cigars are better than the Behike - WOW!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
This really rubs me the wrong way. It's like an F YOU to Cohiba. You stole my design so now I'm stealing yours! Very unprofessional. And then he says that his cigars are better than the Behike - WOW!
Stealing? There are hardly any cigar sizes on the planet that the Cubans didn't try first, so by that logic any cigar made ANYWHERE other than Cuba in ANY size would be stealing. That's ridiculous.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
...and, for anyone who does not get cigar insider, i believe the other brand is going to be an actual distribution of the surrogates, with two sizes tacked on. any time you can walk into a shop and smell and taste something before buying makes me happy!
Well Dan from NHC is one of the people that will be running L'atelier, along with KC and Casper with Pete overseeing production, and yes the surrogates will be making a comeback so to speak and with a couple of new sizes. This is not Tatuaje, its an offshoot to be able to release premium smokes at a discounted price. Tatuaje will continue as Tatuaje. G1

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
He never says his cigars are better than the Behike, all he says is that the cigars coming out of Nic are better than whats coming out of Cuba today, which I completely concur with. Cuba's running into the same problems as other origins in that the demand is high now and so they just put out smokes which aren't ready. We've come to accept the reality that anything coming out of Cuba needs down time and ultimately, they're just not what they used to be. Conversely, sticks coming out of Nic now are fantastic and with care and aging, don't need the down time at least for as long. G1

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I haven't tried every cigar Pete has put out, but every cigar of his I have tried, I have liked. Don't like big ring gauges for an everyday smoke, but they are nice when out on the kayak or golfing and I always have a couple in the humi. I will definately give them a try, and smoke them again if I like them. And I could really give a crap less about wether it is a copy, an homage, or a poke in the eye to Cuba or their cigars.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Stealing? There are hardly any cigar sizes on the planet that the Cubans didn't try first, so by that logic any cigar made ANYWHERE other than Cuba in ANY size would be stealing. That's ridiculous.
Surely you can tell the difference here. If Pete had stopped at the sizing aspect I could maybe look past it. But he's included the pigtail and the band even reminds of the Behike! It's a blatant ripoff.
"Paying homage" doesn't cut it here. Even the Tat fan boys have to realize what is being done here!

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Surely you can tell the difference here. If Pete had stopped at the sizing aspect I could maybe look past it. But he's included the pigtail and the band even reminds of the Behike! It's a blatant ripoff.
"Paying homage" doesn't cut it here. Even the Tat fan boys have to realize what is being done here!
OK but if we want to get technical, the Guapo came out BEFORE the Behike so then actually Cohiba "ripped off" as you say, Cabaiguan then. This really isn't worth the bandwidth so in short, Pete has a deep appreciation for the history of Cuba and its traditions. No need to worry about sizes he's putting out or where they came from, they're just cigars. the sizes are whats popular now so he rolled em. G1

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I think you missed my point. I don't care about what is being done here. I am a fan of Tats, but I am also a fan of a lot of other cigar brands beyound Tat. I don't have blind allegience to anything, but I am willing to try new products from a brand I trust.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Surely it's merely a coincidence that Pete chose this thread, where accusations of "copy-cat" could rear their head, to come back and post on after not being around for so long? Nah...it's not a coincidence.

Do I care if it's a ripoff on size(s) right down to the pig-tail cap & band? Nope, I truly don't. What I will find amusing however, is for those who crapped on Andre and Viaje here for "stealing an idea" (4th of July smokes, Zombies etc. etc.) to somehow say this is different. To me, this is more obvious than anything Andre was ever accused of copying.

Don't misinterpret here though, I'm not an Andre fan, and I've bought more than my share of Tats....I'm simply pointing out something I thought to be rather ironical.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Surely it's merely a coincidence that Pete chose this thread, where accusations of "copy-cat" could rear their head, to come back and post on after not being around for so long? Nah...it's not a coincidence.

Do I care if it's a ripoff on size(s) right down to the pig-tail cap & band? Nope, I truly don't. What I will find amusing however, is for those who crapped on Andre and Viaje here for "stealing an idea" (4th of July smokes, Zombies etc. etc.) to somehow say this is different. To me, this is more obvious than anything Andre was ever accused of copying.

Don't misinterpret here though, I'm not an Andre fan, and I've bought more than my share of Tats....I'm simply pointing out something I thought to be rather ironical.
Why oh why do you have to make so much sense Kyle?