What's new

Pete losing Flor de Lis symbol??

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
i find it comical that altidas first tried to gain market share by cashing in on the name...Montecristo

Now they're trying to cash in on the "logo"

when will they come up with their own material?!?!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Pete should make some t shirts regarding this issue, add to the already extending fashion end of Tatuaje.

Id buy it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
here's the problem in my eyes. Tatuaje is a throwback line. it's supposed to be reminiscent of cuban cigars, in fact it's been said in many an interview. That's all the ammo Altadis/Habanos SA is going to need to make Pete's life difficult and make their case a very strong one.

It's gonna cost a lot of money regardless of what the outcome is:

1) fight the suit and win - lawyer fees $$
2) fight the suit and counter sue and win - lawyer fees (may be paid from countersuit) but time spent in court = $$ right?
3) fight and lose, rebrand labels and boxes $$$$ and a fairly good possibility
4) avoid lawsuit, rebrand labels and boxes - $

Number 4 seems like the best way to go as more importantly, it keeps Pete focused on what he does best, MAKE GOOD CIGARS.

My two cents. I'm done. I think.

PS - I wish you the best in whatever decision you make, Pete. Let us know if we can help!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's step into another industry real quick. An industry I also participate in. The clothing business. How many t-shirt companies use the Fleur? Too many to count and no one can claim the rights to it.
I got amazing lawyers that specialize in this. The only question is how much I want to spend to fight Goliath. Also, how much do I want to spend to allow everyone else to use it.
www.cigarlaw.com
read it early, read it often ...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting with Habanos, S.A. (which Altadis has 50% of) for 7+ years ... Guantanamera Cigars Co. v. Corporacion Habanos, S.A. They have ZERO reason for opposing my client's trademark but put the squeeze to him. Little did they know that a crazy Cuban (heritage) attorney would take the case on .... www.cigarlaw.com

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I've been fighting with Habanos, S.A. (which Altadis has 50% of) for 7+ years ... Guantanamera Cigars Co. v. Corporacion Habanos, S.A. They have ZERO reason for opposing my client's trademark but put the squeeze to him. Little did they know that a crazy Cuban (heritage) attorney would take the case on .... www.cigarlaw.com
THIS is the guy I was waiting to hear from!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS is the guy I was waiting to hear from!
Like a good lawyer, I can't comment on Pete's specific issue for a number of reasons (1) I don't represent him; and (2) I have not read the demand letter or been privy to any of the oral demands.

Remember this, whether Altadis is right or not, the legal system sucks and its all about attorneys' fees. Trademark law cases are notoriously expensive and drawn out.

I will say this ... extensive third party use of the design in the tobacco industry and laches seem to be Pete's best defenses. Pete Johnson has very reputable attorneys that I'm familiar with. I am certain that he is getting the best counseling available. Pete, when it's all said and done give cigarlaw.com the opportunity for an interview.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last comment ... Maybe Pete can pull a Prince (or the artist formerly known as prince) and simply use 05.05.03 the Trademark Office design code for the FLEUR-DE-LIS

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Pete should make some t shirts regarding this issue, add to the already extending fashion end of Tatuaje.

Id buy it.
Pete...do it up! Count me in! I say that we go to their promo nights and have our own mini herfs wearing the shirts. It is hitting their lower levels of the organization...but they should take note. Their pity pissing contest should be noted that we as cigars smokers think that they are tools for starting this. Do I think that they will bat an eye...maybe not...but if their smart...they will look to their consumers and realize that we believe that this is a bunch of BS! This is just one more nail into the coffin of why their cigars suck...too many suits...not enough true cigar smokers...spend more time enjoying your product and less time trying to squash the others! Maybe if they took that time they would realize what happened to their quality and re-evaluate their NC collections. Sorry...off my soap box...but seriously...make the shirts. I'll rock it everyday I go to the shop! Thanks! Nick

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Pete...do it up! Count me in! I say that we go to their promo nights and have our own mini herfs wearing the shirts. It is hitting their lower levels of the organization...but they should take note. Their pity pissing contest should be noted that we as cigars smokers think that they are tools for starting this. Do I think that they will bat an eye...maybe not...but if their smart...they will look to their consumers and realize that we believe that this is a bunch of BS! This is just one more nail into the coffin of why their cigars suck...too many suits...not enough true cigar smokers...spend more time enjoying your product and less time trying to squash the others! Maybe if they took that time they would realize what happened to their quality and re-evaluate their NC collections. Sorry...off my soap box...but seriously...make the shirts. I'll rock it everyday I go to the shop! Thanks! Nick
I like it, I would add that we hand out Tats but that would probably be disrespectful to the B&M owners.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
"I got sued by Altidas and I all got was this lousy teeshirt"

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Just another reason why Altadis is the biggest piece of shit company on the face of planet earth.
They've been out to get everybody lately...
[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=22499"]http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=22499[/ame]

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Isn't there a lawyer on this forum???

Because Tat is in direct competition with Monte I think you can't compare it to the boy scouts. Many things probably have clovers on them, but I don't think the Celtics would like it if another NBA team had the same symbol.

Anyone know if this could be legit?
It's not the symbol by itself, it's the fact the symbol is used on a related items, in this case cigars...

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
No matter what, Tatuaje is still the name, Pete is still the man, and the cigars are the still same so changing the symbol or not isn’t going to make a bit of difference. Just my .02.