What's new

pic of your four legged smoking buddy

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Just took this little guy in before his owners surrendered him to the shelter. Not entirely sure of his breed(s), and if the guy was right he's about 7 weeks but I'm not sure. All that aside, he's really big on wanting to nibble on your hands which turns into bites with a little more force at times. Never really had an issue with past dogs wanting to bite so much so any help on getting rid of this behavior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's good looking! Great markings.

I'd guess the early separation from the rest of the litter is a catalyst for that. 8 weeks is usually preferable to ween. They start picking up on dog-dog communication. When he nips, you should yelp (like a litter-mate would) or say ow, then turn away and ignore him entirely. It lets him know that behavior isn't ok. Should work with consistency & repetition.

Good luck & have fun with him!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Bop his ass on the nose. that's me though. if you want to be less violent (which some dogs need) just say ouch and ignore him for like an hour. nothing at all, don't even look at him. he will realize when he bits you won't play with him. but I prefer a dominant style of training but all my dogs are off leash dogs. so I need them to know they must listen to me.

Make sure he has thing to chew on. a lot of young dogs just want to chew and don't know they are bitting harder than they should.

And from those pics I have no idea what he is other than a mut. which make great dogs (y)
All my dogs have been dogs their owners didn't want anymore, it's not their fault people don't realize the responsibility that comes with them. I'll try both methods you suggested, what I was trying recently was when he'd start biting harder than just a nibble I'd place on of his toys in his mouth instead but that hasn't shown much progress. Like he knows "sit" and "down" kind of, so I know he's willing to learn.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
All my dogs have been dogs their owners didn't want anymore, it's not their fault people don't realize the responsibility that comes with them. I'll try both methods you suggested, what I was trying recently was when he'd start biting harder than just a nibble I'd place on of his toys in his mouth instead but that hasn't shown much progress. Like he knows "sit" and "down" kind of, so I know he's willing to learn.

I'd say a very stern NO and a bop on the nose. Or I used to say to my dog "no bite" and a bop on the nose. Replace with a chew toy works too after you reprimand them.

I've also used bitter apple but mine loved the taste after a while. Some people use lemon juice. I've heard that works too. My dog would see the bottle and drop whatever she had and/or stop biting.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just took this little guy in before his owners surrendered him to the shelter. Not entirely sure of his breed(s), and if the guy was right he's about 7 weeks but I'm not sure. All that aside, he's really big on wanting to nibble on your hands which turns into bites with a little more force at times. Never really had an issue with past dogs wanting to bite so much so any help on getting rid of this behavior

With our 2 dogs, we kept a spray bottle next to us and would spray them with water and sternly give them a no command when they were doing something we didn't want them to. Worked great. It got to the point that we just a had to grab the spray bottle and they would stop.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0

I've never had a puppy that didn't do that. Keep bones and chew toys readily available to put in their mouth when they try to chew on you. Have treats ready at all times for positive reinforcement training. You have a beautiful pup there and good luck!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Went to Costco for dog food and she came home with a kitten...
That counts as dog food, right??

Watching this big goofball for the week while my brother & his wife visit her family.

She's a boxer, mastiff mix, & one of the happiest dogs I've ever been around. Cracks me up.

Here she is laying next to my 80lb pit, for some scale.

She's good lookin! I have a boxer/mastiff mix and he has the best personality. They are seriously goofy animals and they are amazing with kids.

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
That counts as dog food, right??
Haha...I'm pretty sure she would just keep replacing it, till they got the message. The kitten only sleeps on top of my humidor and won't use the bed she bought...she's a keeper. My only requirement was that her name be Han Solo. There was no budging on this!!

Last edited: