What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That is so cool! What type of wrapper is that and where did you get it?
It's the Criollo98 wrapper from WLT. I can't yet testify to its merits. I've only had it for a couple months, and those sticks I rolled with it and smoked prematurely could not handle the outlandish strength of the leaf. I can't really say anything about it until the 6 months-to-1-year markers come in. Short-term it seems to be one of those typical dark-leaf wrappers that just totally overwhelms the blend.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This wrapper is WLT Criollo98. MarcL's pics of this wrapper look a lot lighter; so I guess there are various shades in various batches. This stick has 26 days on it. The binder is WLT Habano seco, and the filler is WLT Habano seco and WLT Habano ligero, 50/50. And yet this was not a strong stick. It was medium. The wrapper mellowed out a lot in that period. There was a vaguely hay-ish note but I don't know if that was coming from the filler or the wrapper. I think the wrapper as I haven't got that hay from the Nica habano in the past. This is a similar species of wrapper experience to that given by LO's habano ligero wrapper. They could almost pass for each other. Yet subjectively I feel this is a higher grade of leaf.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This wrapper is WLT Criollo98. MarcL's pics of this wrapper look a lot lighter; so I guess there are various shades in various batches. This stick has 26 days on it. The binder is WLT Habano seco, and the filler is Habano seco and Habano ligero, 50/50. And yet this was not a strong stick. It was medium. The wrapper mellowed out a lot in that period. There was a vaguely hay-ish note but I don't know if that was coming from the filler or the wrapper. I think the wrapper as I haven't got that hay from the Nica habano in the past. This is a similar species of wrapper experience to that given by LO's habano ligero wrapper. They could almost pass for each other. Yet subjectively I feel this is a higher grade of leaf.
When you guys just say "Habano" without a country - since that seed can come from any country, is there a typical country you are referring to? Or am I missing something?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When you guys just say "Habano" without a country - since that seed can come from any country, is there a typical country you are referring to? Or am I missing something?
There's the Ecuadorian Habano wrappers from LO, and there's the Nicaraguan Habano filler from WLT. Jorge also sells an Ecuadorian Habano wrapper. So, I would usually say "Nica Habano seco" from WLT; but as the Nica is the only Habano seco WLT sells, it's possible to get away with shorthand. Same goes for the wrappers from LO.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Really enjoyed this new blend at the "one day old" mark. I'm getting good at this patience thing!:happy:
20170515_164651.jpg
Nic Habano seco
Mata Fina
Brazilian viso
Dominican ligero
Dominican binder
PA Oscuro wrapper
After retrohale my nose seemed to have malt and chocolate for the longest time.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really enjoyed this new blend at the "one day old" mark. I'm getting good at this patience thing!:happy:
View attachment 96073
Nic Habano seco
Mata Fina
Brazilian viso
Dominican ligero
Dominican binder
PA Oscuro wrapper
After retrohale my nose seemed to have malt and chocolate for the longest time.
I have that same oscuro wrapper and the veins in mine are crazy. I don't see a single one on yours. Good work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have that same oscuro wrapper and the veins in mine are crazy. I don't see a single one on yours. Good work.

The veins are really prominent in this leaf. After rolling the wrapper leaf, I wrap the stick with a newspaper strip overnight. This helps push the veins into the bunch rather than allowing them to protrude like ridges. They flatten out nicely doing this. I'll try to capture the difference when I get home in the morning...

PS: I don't know for sure but would bet the veins were lined up on the back side of the stick pictured above.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The veins are really prominent in this leaf. After rolling the wrapper leaf, I wrap the stick with a newspaper strip overnight. This helps push the veins into the bunch rather than allowing them to protrude like ridges. They flatten out nicely doing this. I'll try to capture the difference when I get home in the morning...

PS: I don't know for sure but would bet the veins were lined up on the back side of the stick pictured above.
Ok @keithjjones , so here's a quick pic of two sticks both wrapped in PA OSCURO, the one on the left NOT wrapped in newspaper afterwards. The one on the right was wrapped (it would've been better to have left the paper on longer than overnight with these veins).
2017-05-17 07.46.27.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok @keithjjones , so here's a quick pic of two sticks both wrapped in PA OSCURO, the one on the left NOT wrapped in newspaper afterwards. The one on the right was wrapped (it would've been better to have left the paper on longer than overnight with these veins).
View attachment 96097
I hadn't considered that approach. Very nice. The one that wasn't wrapped still didn't look as bad as mine.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Brazilian Arapiraca wrapper from LO. The veins are slightly larger than the Mata Fina but much smaller than the Ecuadorian seco wrapper for example. If you want less lumps in your cigar start with a leaf that has... fewer lumps.

I found it a joy to work with and it arrived in near perfect condition. The smell is amazing. Almost has a light, smokey fire cured odor.

First cut the flags out.
Flags.jpg
Then divide the leaf into two filets.
Divide.jpg

The smaller 42 RG got the bottom filet with the largest veins. The larger 52 RG got the premium filet with the smallest veins.
SAM_0782.jpg

SAM_0784.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't been proud of any of my sticks until this set. Honduras Wrapper from WLT. They haven't dried yet when I took this photo, so I hope they only get better.
Packing more into the mold and switching from gum arabic to pectin made all the difference in the world. Draws and is as firm as a commercial cigar, from what I can tell.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't been proud of any of my sticks until this set. Honduras Wrapper from WLT. They haven't dried yet when I took this photo, so I hope they only get better.
Packing more into the mold and switching from gum arabic to pectin made all the difference in the world. Draws and is as firm as a commercial cigar, from what I can tell.
Actually, the picture makes them look more rough than they are in real life... so take that with a grain of salt.