What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's the video. Not really a technical demo. As I say in the notes to it, "In true cigar video fashion this video reveals almost nothing while pretending to show everything."

OMG..... I've been enjoying cigars for decades, I've even rolled a couple of hundred myself, and I never realized that a "triple cap" is simply a spiral. I thought it was 3 separate caps that were different lengths. I can't believe I was so ignorant for so long. I feel embarrassed!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
OMG..... I've been enjoying cigars for decades, I've even rolled a couple of hundred myself, and I never realized that a "triple cap" is simply a spiral. I thought it was 3 separate caps that were different lengths. I can't believe I was so ignorant for so long. I feel embarrassed!
While there is only "so much" to rolling cigars, there is still quite a lot and it seems there is always something new to learn or try.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have made triple caps. They were two flags and a round cap.

They're a good thing if a) you're a head chewer, or b) you're trying to firm up a soft head, or c) you screwed up the first cap.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So the actual three caps are three separate pieces of leaf, regardless of how many spirals you make with the first two pieces: the first is the final wrapping/twisting of the main wrapper leaf about the head. The second is the teardrop-shaped flag that is cut and wrapped typically twice, giving the look of "the bottom two caps." The third is the final circular bit that's put on the top to cover anything unsightly, like a hole or a twist.

So, when you see a reviewer talking about "a beautiful quadruple cap," he's got it technically wrong, but he's accurately conveying what you see, which is the flag going around three times, and then the final circle on top.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So this was the second torpedo I ever rolled, five months ago, which partly explains why it's so superfunky. I molded about half-a-dozen freehand, before I got the torpedo mold from WLT. I figured my first attempts would completely fail so I used wrapper from the Bag of Dubious Leafs. So the funny things are that I have zero idea what wrapper this is, because I had pretty much all the dark wrappers you could get back then and had come to think of most of them as dubious--I can rule out Jorge's Habano and WLT Ec. Maduro because those had very distinct issues that were not present here--and that I just smoked this yesterday (my birthday smoke, thanks) and it was impressive in burn and draw and somewhat in flavor, too; but the flavor was too deep/rich/heavy for me. My first thought was of certain Tatuaje maduro torpedoes I have smoked. It was very very similar. Good but made for people with more blubber on the bone. Smoked it for an hour at which point I was half-way through it. Then it began to rain and it was almost time for the Survivor Finale, so I called it a day and bid the Black Witch adieu.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So this was the second torpedo I ever rolled, five months ago, which partly explains why it's so superfunky. I molded about half-a-dozen freehand, before I got the torpedo mold from WLT. I figured my first attempts would completely fail so I used wrapper from the Bag of Dubious Leafs. So the funny things are that I have zero idea what wrapper this is, because I had pretty much all the dark wrappers you could get back then and had come to think of most of them as dubious--I can rule out Jorge's Habano and WLT Ec. Maduro because those had very distinct issues that were not present here--and that I just smoked this yesterday (my birthday smoke, thanks) and it was impressive in burn and draw and somewhat in flavor, too; but the flavor was too deep/rich/heavy for me. My first thought was of certain Tatuaje maduro torpedoes I have smoked. It was very very similar. Good but made for people with more blubber on the bone. Smoked it for an hour at which point I was half-way through it. Then it began to rain and it was almost time for the Survivor Finale, so I called it a day and bid the Black Witch adieu.
Happy belated birthday! That description sounds right up my alley...

A few more marshmallows knocked out. One of these I cut the wrapper so the flag and wrapper were all one piece. Very pleased with that result and will start practicing that more because there was a significant time saving to that method for me. I've seen Willy do this many times but he does it so fast I could never really see what he did.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Happy belated birthday! That description sounds right up my alley...

A few more marshmallows knocked out. One of these I cut the wrapper so the flag and wrapper were all one piece. Very pleased with that result and will start practicing that more because there was a significant time saving to that method for me. I've seen Willy do this many times but he does it so fast I could never really see what he did.
Thanks. I pretty often cap that way. Basically if when I get to the head with the wrapper leaf I find that my wrapper angle is coming off sufficiently closer to 90-degrees off the stick rather than 45 deg, then I go ahead and cut the flag in and do it as a double-capper.