What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rest my cigars always for minimum 2 months. Then I smoke a few and take notes. Four months further I start smoking the rest.
Due of the big improvement I don't smoke freshly rolled cigars.
If you roll with dry tobacco (max 70%) you can smoke it withing 2 day's but then I believe the cigars goes to a sick period (fermentation) for at least 2 months, even if you roll with aged tobacco.
This tobacco is only 6 months. I'm going to age it for 2 more years, doing trials every 6 months.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I rest my cigars always for minimum 2 months. Then I smoke a few and take notes. Four months further I start smoking the rest.
If you roll with dry tobacco (max 70%) you can smoke it withing 2 day's but then I believe the cigars goes to a sick period (fermentation) for at least 2 months, even if you roll with aged tobacco.
This tobacco is only 6 months. I'm going to age it for 2 more years, doing trials every 6 months.
Okay, thanks. I usually find it pretty hard to get through the sick period without sampling, and then I regret it...

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is hard especially when you start rolling and you are still struggling with the technique.
But once you master it I recommend to put a few aside and let them rest for 6 months or more.
You have to take in account that nearly all the tobacco bought on WLT or LO is not aged.
I solved this by still buying cigars some cigars till I had a batch of aged home rolled cigars.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know this is hard especially when you start rolling and you are still struggling with the technique.
But once you master it I recommend to put a few aside and let them rest for 6 months or more.
You have to take in account that nearly all the tobacco bought on WLT or LO is not aged.
I solved this by still buying cigars some cigars till I had a batch of aged home rolled cigars.
Okay, thanks. Well, I've been rolling cigars for five years and it's still a problem. ;) http://blisscigar.tumblr.com/

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Admirable patience. Admirable, Jan.

However, I maintain that you can certainly smoke one fresh off the table & get a good sense, at least, of what it will eventually become after proper aging. That way you will know whether it's even worth your while to stash away a box full of them for a year or two try out when they are truly ripe. Didn't you do that? If so, what about your fresh test gar made you want to stash a batch of Omatepe?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

However, I maintain that you can certainly smoke one fresh off the table & get a good sense, at least, of what it will eventually become after proper aging. That way you will know whether it's even worth your while to stash away a box full of them for a year or two try out when they are truly ripe. Didn't you do that? If so, what about your fresh test gar made you want to stash a batch of Omatepe?
IMHO the sick period doesn't apply to ROTT because it takes ~1-3 days for things to get sick.

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The batch of Ometepe is part of a try out.
I'm rolling 3 batches, one filled with Ometepe filler, the second Jalapa filler end the third wit Condega.
All finished with the same binder and wrapper.
Rolling +/- 20 per batch with different strengths to determine the difference in taste.
No blending ... like a single malt whiskey.

I have a wide palette, so for food and also for cigars. As long as the food is good prepared I enjoy nearly everything.
This goes also for cigars ... as long as you have good tobacco and a decent rolled cigar, there are not many cigars I don't like.
Sometimes it takes a few to get used to the taste.
Also for strength, each has it appropriate place and time.

And patience will only help.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Indeed, but normally you need a few days to let your cigar dry, even in a dry box.
Nope.

Right off the table, your filler should be as dry as a stick in a humidor, your binder should be just damp enough to flex round the bunch, and your wrapper should be just damp enough to lay limp. Many and many a fuma has been quemado right smack dab just like that. Try it. Bunch a gar, roll it back & forth on the table, wrap it, roll it back & forth on the table, stick it in your jaws and spark it up. Three minutes start to finish. If a fresh stick won't burn, put your spray bottle away.

I'm thinking you have gotta have a torcedor in the mercado there in Honduras who you can watch do exactamente asi. If you wait a few days your roll may go rank. A ten point gar will rank seven in the first hour, two three days later, eight six weeks later, nine and a half six months later, ten at one year old, then ever so slowly descend from there. Point is, you wanna glean an idea on the first day, at seven, whether or not this blend is worth pursuing.

Who else here does NOT test their gars same day in order to discover whether this new blend is worth the leaf and trouble?
Test gars. I'm gonna twist one up now so I have something to smoke watching football later today.

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right about rolling with dryer tobacco, like I said in an earlier post, at around 70 %.
When I roll a test batch it is not only about the taste, also about :
- using one or two binders ?
- placing a thinner binder under a thicker ?
- how to reduce the heavy veins in binder/wrapper (applying a wetter wrapper ?)

So each batch is more or less 5-10 cigars, no time to smoke them in 2 days.

I tried the dry method several times but you end up with a cigar around 72-73 % humidity. I smoke here in 80-100 % humidity.
If I start with a cigar at 73 %, after 15 min I'm chewing on my cigar so no way to test it.
I store my cigars at max 65 %.
Even a cigar rolled with dry tobacco can taste quiet different after 6 months.

Wrong about your timeline. Every cigar improves a lot after 2-3 months. But the bigger improvement is at the 6 months mark and later one the one year mark.
This I found out myself many times and is widely know in literature.
Cigars rolled with a lot of viso and ligero will keep improving after the one year mark for many years !

The taste of a freshly rolled cigar is the sum of all the tobacco used.
But smoking the same cigar after letting the tobacco mingling for one year it's a different thing.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Right about rolling with dryer tobacco, like I said in an earlier post, at around 70 %.
When I roll a test batch it is not only about the taste, also about :
- using one or two binders ?
- placing a thinner binder under a thicker ?
- how to reduce the heavy veins in binder/wrapper (applying a wetter wrapper ?)

So each batch is more or less 5-10 cigars, no time to smoke them in 2 days.

I tried the dry method several times but you end up with a cigar around 72-73 % humidity. I smoke here in 80-100 % humidity.
If I start with a cigar at 73 %, after 15 min I'm chewing on my cigar so no way to test it.
I store my cigars at max 65 %.
Even a cigar rolled with dry tobacco can taste quiet different after 6 months.

Wrong about your timeline. Every cigar improves a lot after 2-3 months. But the bigger improvement is at the 6 months mark and later one the one year mark.
This I found out myself many times and is widely know in literature.
Cigars rolled with a lot of viso and ligero will keep improving after the one year mark for many years !

The taste of a freshly rolled cigar is the sum of all the tobacco used.
But smoking the same cigar after letting the tobacco mingling for one year it's a different thing.
That's not at all what he's saying...

Sparking fresh saves time on blend validation. Why roll 20 cigars that are shit that will still be shit in 1 year? How do you think I found my two house blends? I mashed those leaves in a binder and lit it and the angels sang from the heavens!

Also I'd love to see this literature you speak of.

Sorry, but I'm going with Webby on this one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be sorry Hopduro, everybody his own !
I rarely have cigars that are shit after 6 months, maybe not 100 % my thing but all very smokable, like I said I have a very wide taste palate.
Like when I was young I kept eating olives till I loved them. To tell you the truth, I didn't like even beer in the beginning !

As Don Placencia from Tabaco de Oriente (Biggest cigar factory in central america) told me : "As long as you have good tabacco, you can not roll a bad cigar, at the most something YOU don't like, but there will be always somebody who likes it"

Form my 20 rolled cigars I give maybe half of them away and I'm always surprised how big is the difference in somebody's tastes buds.

https://www.jrcigars.com/blending-room/university/cigaraging/2015/06/22/

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Here's the type pic you want to see, is a test gar that turns out to be a nubber:

Rolled this morning. Smoked midday watching football in the garage. Regretted when it got too short to hold. I've been searching two months how to blend one certain Dominican flavor, something like an Indian Motorcycle cigar. I think I am finally zeroing in on it. Two leaves Dom seco, one half Mata, one quarter San V ligero, CT BL binder, FXSS CT shade wrap. Damn good little corona. I'll def stash a box of these. Maybe a second box as perfectos. This will be the first time I found a use for San V much less San V ligero.