What's new

Pipe newb "ah-ha!" moments

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Dont take the stem out till the pipe has cooled down
Invest in pipe bits for your stems, avoids chatter and helps when you are wanting to sell one
If you find that you have a pipe that just does not seem to smoke right for you, you pack it right, light it right, smoke it right and you still have issues.... Before you give up on it and sell or trade it, Smoke the hell out of it. Beat the pipe into submission. Abuse it, smoke 2-3 bowls back to back. Rest it for a day and do it it again, make the pipe smoke the way YOU want it to, trust me it will. But once it smokes the way you want it to, try not to smoke more than 2 bowls in one day out of it, and make sure it gets a few days rest.
Packing and keeping it lit problems? Buy Prince Albert aka PA or Carter Hall aka CH. Both very easy to learn your technique, very inexpensive and they taste great.
Think you are tamping to hard? Stop using a tamper or tool, and use your finger.
Cake? BAH! I clean my bowls with a folded pipe cleaner dampened with saliva after every bowl.
Quick easy way to keep your pipes looking shiny? After smoking and while the bowl is still warm, rub the bowl on the sides of your nose and buff with a soft cloth.
Torch lighter? Hell yes, watch the Frank method on the tube.
But the most important thing to remember/learn is this...

Who the heck cares how many times you have to relight, or if you smoke it down to a fine ash. Have to pack and re pack the bowl 5 times? Do it! Who cares? Pipe smoking is for relaxation, and enjoyment. Dont worry about all that stuff you see or read about how this person never has to re-light (bullshit) or they ALWAYS smoke down to a fine white ash (bullshit), I, nor you, should care. As long as what ever you are doing is working for you, you are enjoying your self, then honestly, thats all that matters.

Russ
:thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-D710BST

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
To everyone posted here you have given me to confidence to try the pipe Utah bombed me the other week. It was a bit overwhelming reading up on the whole thing. Maybe my Ah ha moment will be stop stressing and just pack the damn bowl.
Pack it and smoke it.

I was in a local one day looking at buying another new pete or a new nording talking about how i was trying to carefully break in my new pete and a guy smoking a Nording looked at me and said pack it and smoke the damn thing. So i bought a Nording and packed it and smoked it. And had the best bowl i had ever had.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Lots of good info on here! I have a question on the moisture that builds while smoking and makes it's way up the stem leaving bitter tobacco juice on the tip of your tongue. I will usually take a pipe cleaner and run it down when this happens but I wonder if I'm smoking it wrong or if this is just the norm for non-filtered pipes. Anybody know?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i have had little to no issues with this. i would say either practice better pacing, or smoke your tobacco drier. then again, i see no harm in feeding a cleaner through to help out; my usual issue is my draw suffers because i tamp down and the draft hole gets partially blocked, and a pipe cleaner rectifies that as well. then again, i have done some fairly lazy packing formerly, really loose on the base of the bowl, and relied on tamping to even it out throughout. bad form, but it works for me.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Lots of good info on here! I have a question on the moisture that builds while smoking and makes it's way up the stem leaving bitter tobacco juice on the tip of your tongue. I will usually take a pipe cleaner and run it down when this happens but I wonder if I'm smoking it wrong or if this is just the norm for non-filtered pipes. Anybody know?
Do you smoke a bent or straight? IMO Brent pipes help keep any moisture away from the mouth.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I will get this alot with my aromatics and tobacco that i dont let dry, to me its not a big deal. If i hear a gurgle or it feels moist and harsh i give it a swab. I also like just doing it anyway cause i hold the pipe in my mouth and i get moist so i will pull it out and swab it so i dont get too much moisture on the bit from my mouth.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I have both straight and bent pipes and still get the moister biter taste after awhile of smoking. Guess I need to figure out a dry method that works for me. Thanks for the tips fellas!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
flake, cake, and twist giving you problems? wondering how in the hell you can prepare it "cube cut" without a full kitchen knife set? CIGAR CUTTER! i cannot believe this did not occur to me before. o)

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
while i have a grinder with a removable and washable hopper for just such occasions, i think that would give you a little too fine a cut, and way less controllable. or you could use those little tobacco grinders i keep seeing at shittier tobacco shops? o)

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
while i have a grinder with a removable and washable hopper for just such occasions, i think that would give you a little too fine a cut, and way less controllable. or you could use those little tobacco grinders i keep seeing at shittier tobacco shops? o)
Now that we know where you shop...LMAO

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
You can also use a good pair of kitchen sheers. Ya know the kind that you can cut right through chicken bone with, thats what I use. But most of the time I will just fold and stuff flakes.

mercop

Cigar Daddy
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I have tried for several yeas but doing everything right with the pipe has been elusive. I still feel like I am in the cockpit of a plane looking at the instrument panel- George

mercop

Cigar Daddy
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I have tried for several yeas but doing everything right with the pipe has been elusive. I still feel like I am in the cockpit of a plane looking at the instrument panel- George
Stop stressing. Start enjoying

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
Holy Cow, you are so right. Just about finishing up my best bowl ever. After reading this I realized I was packing it way to tight, which left me frustrated. Also just figured out Boswell's is only 86 miles away from me. I am healing from a broken ankle, but when I can get back on the bike guess where I am going:) Love this place- George

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Stop stressing. Start enjoying

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
Um how many threads have you started lately?lol Yep i find the biggest thing is just go for it, and just keep trying different things im always learning a new method or something to try and i have been smoking pipes for 1o years.

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Um how many threads have you started lately?lol Yep i find the biggest thing is just go for it, and just keep trying different things im always learning a new method or something to try and i have been smoking pipes for 1o years.
Me? quite a few. That is one of the greatest pieces of information that i got so far. It may seem like there is a million things that you can do wrong, will do wrong, but in the end if you talk yourself out of it your never going to get any enjoyment out of it.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Me? quite a few. That is one of the greatest pieces of information that i got so far. It may seem like there is a million things that you can do wrong, will do wrong, but in the end if you talk yourself out of it your never going to get any enjoyment out of it.
Best part is this is coming from the guy that "didn't have time to start another hobby" i love that you are trying it and thats the best part of it is there isn't a perfect way for everyone, you need to develop your own style and when you get that down have somebody tell you another way and start all over again.lol

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Best part is this is coming from the guy that "didn't have time to start another hobby" i love that you are trying it and thats the best part of it is there isn't a perfect way for everyone, you need to develop your own style and when you get that down have somebody tell you another way and start all over again.lol
Oh I don't have the time. My girl would dismember me if she knew. So it's my top secret hobby for nights she works late.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Oh I don't have the time. My girl would dismember me if she knew. So it's my top secret hobby for nights she works late.
Trust me when I say this...She knows! LOL