What's new

Pipe newb "ah-ha!" moments

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
honestly i dont think so, but she may, if so great. if not even better!
You must hide it really well then. My wife can smell pipe tobacco a mile away which is why I just came clean on starting a new hobby with it. Thank god she loves the smell of it or I'd be a dead man. LOL

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Had a pipe ah-ha moment regarding tongue bite. I've been using a soft flame lighter & decided to use wooden matches last night instead. Made a HUGE difference. Pretty much zero tongue bite. I'm only gonna use wooden matches to light my pipe going forward now. :)

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Had a pipe ah-ha moment regarding tongue bite. I've been using a soft flame lighter & decided to use wooden matches last night instead. Made a HUGE difference. Pretty much zero tongue bite. I'm only gonna use wooden matches to light my pipe going forward now. :)
This is all I do anymore unless I'm in a windy environment. It does make a big difference I believe as well.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I am gonna try this...
I think you'll be surprised. I read somewhere that a soft flame lighter burns at like 1400 degrees & wooden matches burn at only 800-900 degrees. It really made a big difference to me. Enough that its gonna be the only way I light my pipe now.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
This morning I packed a bowl to puff on while I skimmed the pool... Packed it tighter than all the ones I couldn't keep lit. Realized I had been packing all the previous bowls too loose.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have been wanting to get a pipe for a long time now, and this thread is full of useful advice, im still on the fence about making the plunge though.... it would be uber nice to be able to just grab a pipe on the way to work on the occasion that i want a little smoke with my coffee before work, instead of a cigar thats going to require at a minimum half an hour, or when i get the hankering for a bit of smoke after dinner but dont want to dedicate the time to a cigar (mainly cause my girl still doesnt, and probably never will, like me smoking for longer then 30-45 minutes.) im thinking that as a birthday present to myself this month, im going to take the dive into pipes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^I say jump the gun brother. That was my issue too with a cigar. Being a family man sometimes means having no time for even a single hour dedicated to yourself. But I of course still alternate b/w a pipe and a cig.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
i have been wanting to get a pipe for a long time now, and this thread is full of useful advice, im still on the fence about making the plunge though.... it would be uber nice to be able to just grab a pipe on the way to work on the occasion that i want a little smoke with my coffee before work, instead of a cigar thats going to require at a minimum half an hour, or when i get the hankering for a bit of smoke after dinner but dont want to dedicate the time to a cigar (mainly cause my girl still doesnt, and probably never will, like me smoking for longer then 30-45 minutes.) im thinking that as a birthday present to myself this month, im going to take the dive into pipes.
30-45 min for a pipe? My average size bowl takes me an hour to hour and a half to smoke, and when I load up the big bowls, I am easily smoking for over 2 hours. But then again, a MFLB petite robusto is an hour and a half cigar for me. Yes, I am a slow smoker.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Get you a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob and if you got a good b&m several different ounces of tobacco to try and go for it, or you could pm me your address, that would work too.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get you a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob and if you got a good b&m several different ounces of tobacco to try and go for it, or you could pm me your address, that would work too.
That's what I've been thinking bout doing, next weekend I'll be making a trip to pick up some supplies
no need to pm it, it's on my profile, but should I be worried.... Lol

iPhone5 from tapatalk sent was this.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
So I finally listened and packed the bowl last night, dry boxed it and then brought it to work to puff on at lunch. First time I have not had to keep up on it with a flame! I also feel I packed it a bit better then I had been before, which lead to a much more enjoyable pipe experience.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Chinet plates turbo-dry pipe baccy in 1hr. Try it!
This works perfectly! ;) I wonder why...
absorbancy and added surface area. same would work with those paper bathroom towels or the heavier paper napkins.

my newest: there is no "right" way to prepare the tobacco if it doesn't work for you. cube cut just don't fly for me so far. even went as far as rubbing out the cube cut burley in an english/ balkan blend, and it went from good to great. i WILL learn how to prepare and enjoy cube cut, but not at the expense of actually enjoying my smoke.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Chinet plates turbo-dry pipe baccy in 1hr. Try it!
This works perfectly! ;) I wonder why...
absorbancy and added surface area. same would work with those paper bathroom towels or the heavier paper napkins.

my newest: there is no "right" way to prepare the tobacco if it doesn't work for you. cube cut just don't fly for me so far. even went as far as rubbing out the cube cut burley in an english/ balkan blend, and it went from good to great. i WILL learn how to prepare and enjoy cube cut, but not at the expense of actually enjoying my smoke.
2 things...
What size bowl are you smoking?
When loading the bowl when it is cubed, are you loading in the 3 step method?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's what I've been thinking bout doing, next weekend I'll be making a trip to pick up some supplies
no need to pm it, it's on my profile, but should I be worried.... Lol

With much thanks, I have made the dive into pipes. A few things I realized right off the top:
- I have a lot to learn
- what I thought was slow, isn't slow enough
- tongue bite is really disagreeable
- this is going to be a very enjoyable journey!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
smoke it drier than you think you should
slower than you think you should
pack it less than you think you should
tamp it lighter than you think you should
pack less than you think you should.

basically a classic case of your brain getting in the way. the thing causes more trouble than anything else, really. turn it off, relax, and hopefully enjoy!