What's new

Pipe newb "ah-ha!" moments

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if this was posted already. But if you cover the bowl with you're two fingers when it seems like it is going out, and puff with a small crack between you're fingers it will bring the bowl back to life. I have been smoking a pipe for years and I just figured this one out.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
smoke it drier than you think you should
slower than you think you should
pack it less than you think you should
tamp it lighter than you think you should
pack less than you think you should.

basically a classic case of your brain getting in the way. the thing causes more trouble than anything else, really. turn it off, relax, and hopefully enjoy!
X2...I'm right there with ya.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
smoke it drier than you think you should
slower than you think you should
pack it less than you think you should
tamp it lighter than you think you should
pack less than you think you should.

basically a classic case of your brain getting in the way. the thing causes more trouble than anything else, really. turn it off, relax, and hopefully enjoy!
X2...I'm right there with ya.
So when you pack your pipe the night before, do you just leave it out in the open or are you suppose to "dry box" it like you do with cigars?

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
For really moist blends, I break it all up & leave it sit out on a chinet plate for a few hours (or even overnight if you want it bone dry)

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
For really moist blends, I break it all up & leave it sit out on a chinet plate for a few hours (or even overnight if you want it bone dry)
so I had to google chinet plate, seems like just a fancy name for paper plate? or is it something specific? (I normally just buy the no name brand paper plates when I need them :) )

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so I had to google chinet plate, seems like just a fancy name for paper plate? or is it something specific? (I normally just buy the no name brand paper plates when I need them :) )
its just a brand name, lol, they do all kinds of throw away stuff.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I specifically buy Chinet (something about the material they're made from that makes them extra absorbent). Liga Privada Fanboy hipped me to that trick. They pretty much dry even super wet pipe tobacco in a few hours or less.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have a lot of time on my hands, and unfortunately, I am stuck on the couch for the most part. I'd realized that the last few times I had attempted to smoke a pipe, had left me frustrated and unsatisfied. So I started doing a lot of research in how to properly pack a pipe. That meant a few hours of searching YouTube, which I recently found out is an awesome time killer. So I grabbed my pipe and some baccy, courtesy of Utah, and went to try to do it "right". After a few ultra tight, and a couple more way too loose attempts, I think I figured it out. And I must say, I'm diggin it. It seems to be a different type of relaxing, than with a cigar, and I'm hooked.

Thanks again, Utah, without your little push, it would have taken me a lot longer to discover this newfound relaxation.

iPhone5 from tapatalk sent was this.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you post a link to the best video you found, since you did the research.... Thanks man
To be honest, I watched so many videos that I couldn't tell you the best one, lol. I just got on YouTube and searched "how to pack a pipe" and got a ton of vids. Most of them are basically the same, with a few variations. There are quite a few vids from the guys at CI, an those we're good. Here are a couple.

[video=youtube_share;tImGLFF6d-4]http://youtu.be/tImGLFF6d-4[/video]

[video=youtube_share;0Vd-srBvvZc]http://youtu.be/0Vd-srBvvZc[/video]

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So...I'm out here in the Stan and had ordered a tin of Eileen's Dream tobacco. Being fairly newb with the pipe I am not sure if the baccy is too moist or what the deal is but I have to babysit it a lot. Great flavor, but a lot of work. Read up on how to pack and all that but same results. Then I remembered a ziplock of some local stuff I bought before coming out here (Midnight In The Garden...awesome smoke) and decided to try that again with my new knowledge. Packed it, did the first light, tamped it down with a stick of chapstick lol, relit and went to work. Smokes amazing, only need to touch again about twice. When it goes out, I tamp it again and relight. Like I said, only needs around 2 on average and it smokes all the way through so I can coat the bowl in the ash...I think I read that somewhere on here that that was a good thing to do?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
So...I'm out here in the Stan and had ordered a tin of Eileen's Dream tobacco. Being fairly newb with the pipe I am not sure if the baccy is too moist or what the deal is but I have to babysit it a lot. Great flavor, but a lot of work. Read up on how to pack and all that but same results. Then I remembered a ziplock of some local stuff I bought before coming out here (Midnight In The Garden...awesome smoke) and decided to try that again with my new knowledge. Packed it, did the first light, tamped it down with a stick of chapstick lol, relit and went to work. Smokes amazing, only need to touch again about twice. When it goes out, I tamp it again and relight. Like I said, only needs around 2 on average and it smokes all the way through so I can coat the bowl in the ash...I think I read that somewhere on here that that was a good thing to do?
kudos on the learning curve! FWIW, i have heard the CAO blends are solid, but i have yet to meet an aromatic that really worked for me, and the toppings/ casings (flavorings) that make them what they are usually make them burn pi$$ poorly for me. lay them out a day in advance. even in A-stan, 24 hrs.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
the last aro I smoked was Eileens Dream... it was very moist coming out of the tin... laying it out 24 hours will help a lot....

What I did with it was lay it out for a few hours... then I would go on and pack the pipe.. but I typically wouldnt smoke it until the following morning (it was my morning coffee smoke for a couple of weeks)..

Even then it was slightly wet.. but I could keep it lit.. I would just get the "gurgle" about half way through the bowl and have to push a pipe cleaner through the stem....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the videos I watched the guy showed an awesome way of "re-lighting" without using a match or lighter. Basically, you blow a bit of air into the pipe, this gets fresh air under the fire, then put 2 fingers over the top of the bowl to restrict air flow and puff a couple times, it relights the pipe without using flame and keeps the temp of the bowl and tobacco cooler. It tool a few tries for me to figure it out, but it works wonderfully.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Spent .308 brass makes an excellent tamper!